Sexton asks Greene for a contract extension for Gus

caleb1633

7 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I do believe Jimmy Sexton is trying to convince Gus to take the Arkansas gig, if offered. 

I think it would be a beautiful fit by all parties. Especially if Arky paid even 1/3 of his buyout for us. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WarTim said:

Silly Season in overdrive. 

It always is.  But we do need to laugh some right now.  The emotions just can't take the imbalance.

29 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The rumor was confirmed by JGT.  I'm not sure why so many would dismiss it out of hand.

Confirmed as in, "Yes I am aware of this rumor" or confirmed as in, "Yes this actually happened." Phil Marshall flatly denied a new extension was in the works when it came up on his site. 

8 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Confirmed as in, "Yes I am aware of this rumor" or confirmed as in, "Yes this actually happened." Phil Marshall flatly denied a new extension was in the works when it came up on his site. 

Because Greene said NOOOOOO? (Allegedly on it all?)

If Gus is actually asking for an extension or is irate that AD Greene said no, someone should look Gus right in the eye and ask him “What in the hell he has done to earn this contract must less an extension?”  Really hope this is just a rumor!  

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

This rumor made it over to ITAT/AUC and Phillip Marshall shut it down pretty fast.

He shut down that a extension was coming. Someone posted saying a Gus extension is coming and P Marsh said that was emphatically not true. He never shut it down that Sexton went to AG to ask for one.

13 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

The latter.

Just now, ToraGirl said:

Because Greene said NOOOOOO? (Allegedly on it all?)

"Hey Allen, do you want to extend Gus a few more years?"

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He shut down that a extension was coming. Someone posted that a Gus extension is coming and P Marsh said that was emphatically not true.

With no verification of whether or not an extension was sought?

Just now, jAUSon said:

Correct. Some poster just took it upon himself to say Gus was getting a extension. He never said anything about Sexton going to Greene asking for one. 

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Correct. Phil's exact response was "No, it's not coming."

Nothing else. 

2 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Very confusing if it were true. 

Not at all.  It's classic Sexton.  Another job opens up where his client may be interested in going/have his name in the running.  So he approaches the current school about an extension or threatens that the coach may leave.  It's worked for Sexton for years.

I just love that if it's true, AG had the sack to say no.  Past admins wouldn't have.

54 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Not at all.  It's classic Sexton.  Another job opens up where his client may be interested in going/have his name in the running.  So he approaches the current school about an extension or threatens that the coach may leave.  It's worked for Sexton for years.

I just love that if it's true, AG had the sack to say no.  Past admins wouldn't have.

We’re getting played by Sexton this time. Just not taking the bait. Presuming this is true. 

Edit: I realize that I basically said what you did in fewer words. 

have contract extensions replaced the AD's  public statment of confidence in the head coach at Auburn?    I can see how they would make that mistake since Jay Jacobs was good about throwing money at coaches right before  a big loss. 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If Greene worked an extension that lowered the buyout in half for this season I am all for it!!!!!   

Think he might fall for a 10 year extension with no buyout?

Offer him a lifetime contract with no buyout salary of $3.5m for 7 wins, $4m for 8 wins, $5m for 9 wins, $7m for 10 wins, $8m for SEC title, and throw in a $2m bonus for National Championship.  If he loves Auburn as much as the rest of us do he would take it. 

14 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Offer him a lifetime contract with no buyout salary of $3.5m for 7 wins, $4m for 8 wins, $5m for 9 wins, $7m for 10 wins, $8m for SEC title, and throw in a $2m bonus for National Championship.  If he loves Auburn as much as the rest of us do he would take it. 

With the insanity of today's salaries, I've wondered why the contracts aren't structured like this.

But, I'd start at $3.5M for 8 wins, Lose $500K for each loss under and add as noted above.

Archived