Sexton asks Greene for a contract extension for Gus

caleb1633

29 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If Gus stays, I think we are to the point of telling him what will be done with the offense. He should be able to see that if a defense can be elite under a coordinator that calls the shots, so can an offense. Our OCs that were able to call plays had the luxury of calling CGM's plays. 

I respect that Gus bet on himself this year, but he lost the bet. If we are not moving on, I'd give him one year as CEO Gus again, but this time with an OC that has free reign. 

That's a horrible idea.  Fire him if he can't deliver results.  But don't handcuff him and tell him what to do.  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

loof i took a friend to the doc this morning and while i was waiting for him and his wife to come out this tweaker walks by and i swear he was talking to  the power lines. it was weird as hell. what does anyone ever have to say to a power line? hows it hanging?  or i bet thats shocking? lol

You look strung out. 

38 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If Gus stays, I think we are to the point of telling him what will be done with the offense. He should be able to see that if a defense can be elite under a coordinator that calls the shots, so can an offense. Our OCs that were able to call plays had the luxury of calling CGM's plays. 

I respect that Gus bet on himself this year, but he lost the bet. If we are not moving on, I'd give him one year as CEO Gus again, but this time with an OC that has free reign. 

What is the point of that?  If Auburn has to dictate how to coach football, to a coach that they are paying $7 million/year to coach football, why continue employing that individual?  That is even more questionable when the instructions being dictated to said coach are basically "sit down, shut up".  If the buyout amount is an issue, at what point does continuing to pay someone $7 million/year, with no tangible benefit, in order to avoid paying the buyout become counterproductive in itself?

Gus has been living the dream ever since arriving at Auburn. Unfortunately his dream was to implement his high school concepts and hire as many high school affiliates and no name coaches with sketchy experience into his dream with him. He's hit his pinnacle. Dream over. 

8 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

That's a horrible idea.  Fire him if he can't deliver results.  But don't handcuff him and tell him what to do.  

I prefaced my statement with if we don't fire him. If he stays, do you want his offense again?

8 hours ago, Strychnine said:

What is the point of that?  If Auburn has to dictate how to coach football, to a coach that they are paying $7 million/year to coach football, why continue employing that individual?  That is even more questionable when the instructions being dictated to said coach are basically "sit down, shut up".  If the buyout amount is an issue, at what point does continuing to pay someone $7 million/year, with no tangible benefit, in order to avoid paying the buyout become counterproductive in itself?

If we decide not to fire due to the buyout, do you want his offense? He recruits well and runs a clean program, so having him do that while someone else runs the offense isn't crazy.

I want him gone more than anyone, but my entire statement is based off the idea of us not firing him. Don't get so tore up over the part about him staying that you miss my point. 

44 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we decide not to fire due to the buyout, do you want his offense? He recruits well and runs a clean program, so having him do that while someone else runs the offense isn't crazy.

I want him gone more than anyone, but my entire statement is based off the idea of us not firing him. Don't get so tore up over the part about him staying that you miss my point. 

It’s crazy because it’s been tried before (twice) and failed miserably . What’s the definition of that again ? 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s crazy because it’s been tried before (twice) and failed miserably . What’s the definition of that again ? 

It hasn't been tried. No OC has been given free reign. 

10 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

It hasn't been tried. No OC has been given free reign. 

That’s the point. They won’t get free reign . What is so hard to understand that and the HC doesn’t recall you have to give them free reign tbh. It’s ultimately his team and he can choose what offense he wants and what plays he deems is appropriate to call. If you don’t like that , you can leave. Gus has done that twice in his career as an OC with Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik. There is no case for Auburn to force anything on him without firing him. No OC will come in a toxic environment like that anyway. At least no good one. 

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not what we've tried. Gus legitimately not meddling. That's never happened. Our OC's have only been able to run his playbook. 

If his employment is contingent on someone else coming in to run an offense, he could either comply or get fired. It's not a crazy idea and if he by some miracle actually let it happen, we'd be a pretty darn good team. 

I still want him gone, but if he stays, that's our best option. Much better than him calling the shots. 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

No, I do not want his offense, but his offense is why he was hired.  As long as he is here, and his job title is head coach, his offense is exactly what we are going to see.  If Auburn were to attempt to ram such demands down his throat, then Auburn is basically paying him $7 million/year to not coach.  At that point, Auburn is better off paying his buyout, which is the same thing as paying him not to coach, and then being free to hire someone else.  If Auburn even feels the need to present such demands to a coach, then that is a glaring indicator that they currently have the wrong person for the job.

Trying to make such an arrangement work, with the probable animosity and toxic environment it would create, is more risky and ridiculous than simply firing him and moving on.

18 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not what we've tried. Gus legitimately not meddling. That's never happened. Our OC's have only been able to run his playbook. 

If his employment is contingent on someone else coming in to run an offense, he could either comply or get fired. It's not a crazy idea and if he by some miracle actually let it happen, we'd be a pretty darn good team. 

I still want him gone, but if he stays, that's our best option. Much better than him calling the shots. 

There is absolutely no way to stop Gus from doing his own thing and meddling. 

There's isn't a "no meddling or your contract is null and void" clause in his contract.  

10 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Your comment should be the end of any argument for keeping him. Continuing to throw good money after bad has to end, at some point.

47 minutes ago, AURealist said:

There is absolutely no way to stop Gus from doing his own thing and meddling. 

There's isn't a "no meddling or your contract is null and void" clause in his contract.  

Then you fire him. The whole premise of the argument is that if we are trying to not fire him because of money, we could at least try to solve the glaring problem, which is the offense. 

Weren't we going to have Hugh Freeze come in this season to run his offense? It's similar to the Gus offense, but it sure isn't identical. 

Gus Malzhan, Head Coach Emeritus has a nice ring to it. We're paying him either way. He keeps an honorary title. He does do some good things for Auburn but we should insist on Saturdays off. 

Not serious, unless of course he wants to. :-\

7 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Then you fire him. The whole premise of the argument is that if we are trying to not fire him because of money, we could at least try to solve the glaring problem, which is the offense. 

Weren't we going to have Hugh Freeze come in this season to run his offense? It's similar to the Gus offense, but it sure isn't identical. 

So we're trying not to fire him.  OK.  Tying his hands isn't going to work.  There's not much you can do.

Letting him be a figurehead and getting Freeze to run the offense probably won't get us much, either, because Gus doesn't seem to be the program management type.  If anything, I think he'd be best as an OC in a lower conference where his genius trickeration might work against 3rd tier players. 

We just have to face it that we've been screwed and will continue to be screwed by the incompetence of our own PTB signing that contract extension until somebody buys Gus out. . 

I agree. I wish. I said this last year. I believe, contractually speaking, very little is required where he is concerned and there didn't seem to be any enforcement/supervisory leeway. I may be wrong, but I think @Mike4AU can weigh in on the legalities...

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

So we're trying not to fire him.  OK.  Tying his hands isn't going to work.  There's not much you can do.

Letting him be a figurehead and getting Freeze to run the offense probably won't get us much, either, because Gus doesn't seem to be the program management type.  If anything, I think he'd be best as an OC in a lower conference where his genius trickeration might work against 3rd tier players. 

We just have to face it that we've been screwed and will continue to be screwed by the incompetence of our own PTB signing that contract extension until somebody buys Gus out. . 

I agree that we've been screwed. Again, this hypothetical situation is all based on Auburn deciding they don't want to fire him because of the buyout. Give him the opportunity to stay at Auburn, but he knows it's under the premise that he learns how to be a CEO, and not run the offense. If he says no, cut him loose, we gave him an option.

Gus runs a clean program, if he actually went with that idea, it wouldn't be the end of the world. 

At the end of the day I want him gone, badly, but it's just something that may end up on the table. 

Pray tell, how does an Administration stop a Head Coach from meddling in his own program?  Does the AD actually physically have to attend every meeting, team practice, game planning session to monitor the HC to make sure he has zero input in his the players he recruited?  Does the AD go on recruiting visits and ride the recruiting trail non-stop? Does the AD act as a hall monitor on the sideline when the HC tries to call a time out or make an important HC decision when the game is on the line?

Seriously, Gus is the boss, it's HIS team - it's HIS staff - those are HIS players and he built this thing into what it is today.  The Auburn Administration pays him to run this thing, they can't act like a pansy ass and try to diminish his authority now if they don't like what he's built.  Cut bait or let him Ride for the Brand.

12 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Muschamp just got a statement of confidence from their AD...as a school that LOVES retreads, maybe USC would take him off our hands.

Taking Muschamp off our hands took our defense to the next level, maybe you're on to something. 

9 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I agree that we've been screwed. Again, this hypothetical situation is all based on Auburn deciding they don't want to fire him because of the buyout. Give him the opportunity to stay at Auburn, but he knows it's under the premise that he learns how to be a CEO, and not run the offense. If he says no, cut him loose, we gave him an option.

Gus runs a clean program, if he actually went with that idea, it wouldn't be the end of the world. 

At the end of the day I want him gone, badly, but it's just something that may end up on the table. 

Auburn has been there and done that with him though.  He was the CEO and still couldn't pull back from his vision of what he wanted on offense, then he flip flopped back to his "roots" and became very involved in the O, then he went back to CEO and now damned if he isn't the OC and in 100% control of this thang.  

I question the Administration if they can't see through the facade by now.

There is a huge difference between suggesting to Gus that he needs to do certain things and trying to force him to do certain things. That difference means that AU needs to get out its checkbook. Right now the amount, just for Gus, is $26 + million, in total. 

Folks need to quit trying to scheme up ways to try to break his contract.  Those are a complete waste of time. Besides, if one wants to get rid of someone, man up, look them in the eye and say we have decided to go in a different direction.  That is never a pleasant conversation, but no self-respecting person should ever attempt underhanded tactics to pull the plug on someone. 

Archived