The Offensive Scheme Itself is Destined for Failure

WarEagleChemE

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If it’s 21-21 going into our OT with a shortened field, we probably got as much a chance as they do tbh. 

I'm not sure about this. As the field gets shorter, Gus gets less and less effective. And that's not even a new development under Gus.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'm not sure about this. As the field gets shorter, Gus gets less and less effective. And that's not even a new development under Gus.

He had some good play calls there in the first two TD drives that game and had another that wasn’t executed on 4th and 2. Plus the back shoulder to Seth that was called back. UGA literally came into the game with the idea they had to score before they got to the 30, or at least that’s the spiel the announcers repeated often. I’m not gonna not give him props

I'm of the opinion that if you can run the ball efficiently, then your passing tree doesn't need to be complex. But as we've seen this year, when you can't then your passing tree becomes a detriment. O-Line I believe plays the biggest part. You can't play Smashmouth football out of the spread if you can't smash mouths. And 

Personally I think Gus screwed himself when he hired Herb Hand and we're paying for it now. I don't know where I sit with Grimes but it's no question he inherited less talent in his second stint than in his first.

I don't necessarily believe that Gus' offensive philosophy is doomed. In fact, the prevalence of the passing attack across college football has defenses getting smaller, leaner, and faster. If anything that helps Gus' philosophy. But we need the dudes in order to do it and we've failed to bring them it. 

Truth is, the offensive woes lie somewhere in between play-calling, execution, talent, and luck. So far talent has afforded us 7 (8 coming up) wins this year. Smaller schools over-achieve when they little talent but supreme play-calling and executive but when faced up against better talent they tend to wear out over the course of the game.

Gus has gotten us the talent, but the play calling (over the course of his tenure) has been inconsistent and on field execution has also been inconsistent. His philosophy isn't the issue in my opinion, but whether or not he can fix these inconsistencies. I thought in 2017 that he had figured it out but I've lost that confidence now.

Archived