Who is Mike Marshall?

KnightTiger

says on his twitter page runs a blog site called AuburnAuthority? apparently he also agrees just like Tate that Steele will be the next HC if Gus is fired or leaves

you have to scroll down a few comments in his tweet to see where he mentions it he also mentioned it again in another tweet 

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I hope he's some sort of performance artist punking the Auburn faithful. 

Promoting Steele would be the ultimate JABA move.  

NoGodNo.gif

No kidding. It would be like hiring a 5-19 Iowa State HC. There's so many exceptional candidates out there this year; we didn't have that luxury during our last two searches. I really hope we take advantage of that.

If we are going with Steele, we should've canned Gus earlier and give Steele the rest of the season to see how it goes. I want Steele to stay, but I'd rather see him win some games as interim first. We could do worse though. 

Tate seemed pretty sure this would be the direction as well. If Auburn does fire him they’d look for an economical replacement.  The Ed Orgeron model.  Let Steele bring in an offensive guy and maybe keep running the D?   My main objection to Steele is his age.  I guess Saban has 10 years on him so there’s that.

29 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Tate seemed pretty sure this would be the direction as well. If Auburn does fire him they’d look for an economical replacement.  The Ed Orgeron model.  Let Steele bring in an offensive guy and maybe keep running the D?   My main objection to Steele is his age.  I guess Saban has 10 years on him so there’s that.

Pure speculation here, but Steele has 3 years left for full retirement in the Retirement Systems of Alabama and it is based on the best three of your last 10.  It would be a heck of a boost for him. So the motivation is there, if he could pull an OC that is worth his weight in gold, Steele could almost promise a “coach in waiting” type of deal.  Not publicly, but as an audition so to speak.

I would like to go in a different direction, but I can see why Tate and Marshall might think this.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Pure speculation here, but Steele has 3 years left for full retirement in the Retirement Systems of Alabama and it is based on the best three of your last 10.  It would be a heck of a boost for him. So the motivation is there, if he could pull an OC that is worth his weight in gold, Steele could almost promise a “coach in waiting” type of deal.  Not publicly, but as an audition so to speak.

I would like to go in a different direction, but I can see why Tate and Marshall might think this.

Not to mention the “young” coaches on this staff that could be groomed for the long haul

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

No kidding. It would be like hiring a 5-19 Iowa State HC. There's so many exceptional candidates out there this year; we didn't have that luxury during our last two searches. I really hope we take advantage of that.

I would look at Kevin Steele and Gene Chizik as apples and oranges.  At the time of Chizik's hire, he was the current 5-19 Iowa State head coach.  Kevin Steele's time at Baylor was almost 20 years ago.  Since that time at Baylor, Steele was at Alabama and Clemson as both were being built into annual playoff contenders.  He has probably seen more than enough since Baylor, from two of the best head coaches in college football today, to know how not to repeat that.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

I hope he's some sort of performance artist punking the Auburn faithful. 

Promoting Steele would be the ultimate JABA move.  

NoGodNo.gif

I am thinking it would be more of a probationary period for a year tbh..at least I hope! If he works out cool, if not get someone in here. 

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I would look at Kevin Steele and Gene Chizik as apples and oranges.  At the time of Chizik's hire, he was the current 5-19 Iowa State head coach.  Kevin Steele's time at Baylor was almost 20 years ago.  Since that time at Baylor, Steele was at Alabama and Clemson as both were being built into annual playoff contenders.  He has probably seen more than enough since Baylor, from two of the best head coaches in college football today, to know how not to repeat that.

It isn’t apples to apples, but his record as HC isn’t negligible since we really only have that to go off of as any empirical data to indicate how he’ll perform as HC if given the opportunity again. If there wasn't a slew of other viable candidates out there, maybe I'd say it's worth a shot, but why take that risk when you can get proven coaches that are also young in their careers. He's not our best option.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am thinking it would be more of a probationary period for a year tbh..at least I hope! If he works out cool, if not get someone in here. 

No.

Just...

No.

39 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I thought I read somewhere LSU had extended Brady just recently?

Contracts and extensions mean very little in today’s coaching environment as long as you have the $$$$. 

Just now, around4ever said:

Contracts and extensions mean very little in today’s coaching environment as long as you have the $$$$. 

This is an understatement...that often times I forget because I am just a small drip in a massive lake. It is crazy how much money is involved in this sport ...just that we know about.

I wanted to see Gus fired last year so we could see Chip Lindsay's offense, and let Steele keep the defense. It looks like they might be trying to get back to this, although I'm not sure Chip would accept and leave his HC position at Troy. He might though in hopes that once Steele retired the Auburn HC job could possibly be his.

12 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

It isn’t apples to apples, but his record as HC isn’t negligible since we really only have that to go off of as any empirical data to indicate how he’ll perform as HC if given the opportunity again. If there wasn't a slew of other viable candidates out there, maybe I'd say it's worth a shot, but why take that risk when you can get proven coaches that are also young in their careers. He's not our best option.

Steele definitely would not be the home run or splash hire that everyone always wants, but I can see where Steele would make sense for Auburn given the overall situation.  A lot of money gets spent on Gus' buyout, and every assistant coach that is fired.  Then Auburn has to turn around and spend a lot of money to hire replacements.  If Auburn fires Gus, and gives Steele the job, they do not have to give him the equivalent of Gus' contract to do so, they maintain some continuity in an area of the team that is working quite well, and they do not have to lure a head coach from another program and pay their buyout.

In the short term, it gets Auburn out of the contract hole they are currently in, for less money than a total replacement.  If Steele does not work out, it would leave Auburn in a better position to deal with that too.  Steele's past record as a head coach is not negligible, and I am not suggesting that it is.  What I am saying is that in the two decades since he was at Baylor, he has probably learned a lot about what to do and what not to do in terms of running an elite college football program, and he had time to learn that from two of the best.

Promote Steele.  Keep him at $2M or small bump to $3M.  Allow him to bring in a DC who he trusts to keep everything at the same level or promote from within.  

Offer Joe Brady or equivalent $2M to turn the offense into a true RPO passing game mixed with a strong run game.  The players are already here to have a ridiculously high powered attack.

Still come out under Gus $$$.

There is no reason why we should hire Kevin Steel unless Christobal, Fleck, Rule, Stoops, and even Bill Clark turn us down. To those who say it would be the most financially responsible option, if we hire a proven coach who comes in and turns around the program, he will bring enough funding to the athletic department to pay for his salary several times over plus the Gus buyout. As far as continuity, KS is probably one of the most likely coordinators I've ever seen to be retained. If I was a HC and KS was an option for me to have as my DC, I'd absolutely retain him.

Hire a proven HC, retain the proven DC as your DC. It's the safest route to generate a true return on investment.

3 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I want you to think for a minute. We presently have maybe the best or at least top 5 defense in the country. We have consistently improved each year under Steele . We lost all three of our starting LBs last year and still didn’t miss a beat . If you subtract the damage a poor offense does on their defense you would really understand what Steele And his defensive coaches have done here. I in no way want to lose that . That is already half the equation to a winning team . If you bring In Another coach he will want to bring in his own coaches and we will be in a total rebuild that will last 2 or 3 years at best. On the other hand you keep Steele and keep your defense intact and he will definitely go out and hire a very good OC to fix the offense. Maybe by next year we will actually be playing for something besides a non new year bowl. 

I may be alone in thinking this,  but it's not a foregone conclusion that a new coach wouldn't keep Steele and his staff regardless. Steele has become a National name while at Auburn.  It's been immensely satisfying to hear Steele's defense being the topic of discussion on why Auburn is considered a threat in these games. Idk, common sense says if your DC isn't even close to Steele's output,  he doesn't come with you. 

That said. I still say we make Cristobal tell us no before moving in any other direction. 

Archived