Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

Just now, bigbird said:

Steele solves a lot of issues. Gets Gus out, maintains continuity, keeps D staff intact, saves a lot of extra $ in buyouts. It's not a horrible idea.

If we go that route, do we start within on offense or go get a new system coordinator?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Dilly has proven himself as a recruiter. I wonder what he could do uncuffed.

I like Dilly as well. No clue what type of offense he would run.

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

If we go that route, do we start within on offense or go get a new system coordinator?

Steele would have an blank check to get whoever he wanted  as OC and let them get whomever they wanted

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I like Dilly as well. No clue what type of offense he would run.

He could just be a QB coach or maybe receivers. He doesn't have to be an OC

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Steele would have an blank check to get whoever he wanted  as OC and let them get whomever they wanted

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Keep a bunch of the current staff. Tell Malzahn to cut bait. Reduce/eliminate buyout potential for all that staff. Keep recruiting intact for the most part. 

Unless they have someone else in mind already.

I hope to God we don't go with KS as HC. Love him as DC, but his record is as HC worse than Chizik's was at Iowa State. It would be the most Jay Jacobs JABA move ever to go with him over excellent candidates like Cristobal and Fleck.

Steele would be good pick in the short term for sure. Long term hard to say. I love the idea of keeping the D coaches we have intact. The whole staff on D top to bottom are quality guys that i would love to keep on staff. It also saves us some money as we only have to pay Gus and the other offensive coaches to go away. 

Long term outlook....what offense does he want to run and who would run it? How long does Steele want to keep coaching? 

EDIT: And does he even want to be the HC of a program at this point in his career? 

When its all said and done i would prefer going through the short term pain with hopes that we find a long term solution at HC.  

53 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’m not sure how I’d feel about hiring Steel as the HC. He’s been great on the defensive side but running the whole show🤷🏼‍♂️.

I would be willing to bet that Kevin Steele has learned a lot about what to do and what not to do in terms of running a college football program since his time at Baylor almost 20 years ago.  Since then, he has worked for two coaches that built programs into annual playoff contenders.

3 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Love him as DC, but his record is as HC worse than Chizik's was at Iowa State. 

Not sure how I'd feel about Steele as HC, guess it depends on who is OC. Regardless, when Steele was the HC at Baylor that program did not in any way, shape, or form mirror the shape Baylor is in today.

I know it's not an indicator of what would happen but coach Steele's head coaching record is still worrisome...

(9-36) as a head coach isn't great no matter how you slice it

If we want someone who has been at Baylor might as well bring Rhule into the fold

38 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm sure they mean as Interim Head Coach. Now, would Kodi Burns or Dillingham be the OC for the remainder of the games?

Likely it doesn't matter because Gus will finish out the season and then a full search will begin. I earnestly don't believe they would pick Steele as anything other than an interim option.

Mike Marshall (whomever he is) was asked if Steele would be interim for bowl game and his reply was steele would most likely be named full time if promoted to head coach.

A Bama friend of mine brought this up today, but is it possible Steele could back to UAT and finish his career? There are some Bama fans that seem to want him, and they're not happy with their current defense and DC. It would also allow Steele to keep his Alabama retirement. Just an interesting thought. I don't have the slightest clue on Saban/Steele history.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

A Bama friend of mine brought this up today, but is it possible Steele could back to UAT and finish his career? There are some Bama fans that seem to want him, and they're not happy with their current defense and DC. It would also allow Steele to keep his Alabama retirement. Just an interesting thought. I don't have the slightest clue on Saban/Steele history.

Nah, Saban runs that defense. If they're not happy with the defense then they're not happy with Saban. Steele isn't going to go be Saban's female dog.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Nah, Saban runs that defense. If they're not happy with the defense then they're not happy with Saban. Steele isn't going to go be Saban's female dog.

Out of likes. Great post Zeek!!!

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Me either but he wouldn't be running his defense there, he'd be running Saban's defense. 

I like the idea of Steele as the coach a lot more if he had a successful interim run, but we could do a lot worse.

I am interested to see who we could actually bring in given the fact that we fired a guy 2 years into a huge extension. That may not even matter. Coaches will see that we accepted mediocre for a long time and payed well for it. Imagine what we'd do to a consistently successful coach. 

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I know it's not an indicator of what would happen but coach Steele's head coaching record is still worrisome...

(9-36) as a head coach isn't great no matter how you slice it

If we want someone who has been at Baylor might as well bring Rhule into the fold

Orgeron went 10-25 at Ole Miss.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Steele idea, but on some levels it makes sense.  Defensive continuity + recruiting.  Cheaper option.  Allows you to break the bank for the best offensive coaching staff money can buy.  When you look at it, the idea isn't that crazy.

I would bet good money that if Steele moves from DC to HC our defense would take a hit. Chizik couldn't field a good D as HC and he was a star at DC. Gus can't field a good O as a HC and he was a star at OC. TWill/Crimedog < Steele as DC.

We will be taking away the man who keeps the strength of our team together away from that unit and assigning him all the non-football related tasks keeping him further away from what makes him such a valuable asset to our staff. This would be a reverse Gussing IMO. Not to mention the nega-recruiting we would have to fight on the trail. "He's just an interim until they find someone better" etc. I want Steele to remain 100% focused on the defense because he has been a star at that for us. As soon as you start shifting roles around is where new, unforeseen problems start popping up.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Orgeron went 10-25 at Ole Miss.

Oh yeah, it can happen but it's more of an exception than a rule. 

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Saban would love to have Steele back.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Oh yeah, it can happen but it's more of an exception than a rule. 

Plus Orgeron was given the reigns as interim with more than half a season to play, so he was able to prove himself. I also don't think anyone in Baton Rouge or around the country thought he'd be anything more than a temporary solution when he took over right after their loss to us.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Saban would love to have Steele back.

Agreed, I don't know if Steele would love to go back. All accounts suggest he's a miserable boss to have.

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Plus Orgeron was given the reigns as interim with more than half a season to play, so he was able to prove himself. I also don't think anyone in Baton Rouge or around the country thought he'd be anything more than a temporary solution when he took over right after their loss to us.

I was in the camp that thought he'd be like the current Ole Miss coach (Luke?) and be a stop-gap solution. He has done a tremendous job surrounding himself with solid coordinators and assistants; and letting those people do their jobs. Players love him (and his incoherent energy) and LSU will always have amazing talent levels.

I wouldn't mind CKS in terms of an Interim basis, but are we really going to put out that kind of buyout money to fire Gus just to hire CKS...? I honestly want a new coach, but I would rather hit a homerun. IDK....he can't do worse. Who knows lol

Archived