Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I’m not sure how I’d feel about hiring Steel as the HC. He’s been great on the defensive side but running the whole show🤷🏼‍♂️.

I would be much more confident with him running the whole show. He’s much more engaging in interviews and would be more charismatic with the boosters and media. He is secure and confident enough (and well-connected enough) to hire people with stronger resumes and accolades than his, and will put them in a position to do their jobs and succeed. We don't have any of that right now. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Gonna throw this out for everyone's take...maybe stupid, I don't know. Garner is the associate head coach currently. IF, they were to get rid of Gus before the season is over, why not move him to HC? Leave Steele as DC and look for a new DL coach. Move out some offensive coaches and bring in Kendall Briles as OC. I doubt anyone on staff knows how Auburn works better than Garner and he's worked at several major SEC programs. Now long term, maybe not but short term I'd be ok to see how he does. Assuming a move sooner rather than later, and if Garner would even have the desire for it. (And assuming, they don't already have someone waiting in the wings to hire.) Now tell me why this is crazy.:dunno:

but here is a huge sticking point. would it embarrass coach steele if one of his assistants got the opportunity over him? i have no idea i am just asking................

Would be a little unfair to put KS in a interim “prove it” audition status. He doesn’t have the players on the offense (especially OL) in the short term to show his capabilities as HC

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

It wouldn't bother me much. He would be exactly the CEO type we could use and the players love him

An instant benefit would be his coaching network and willingness to hire the best and most accomplished, not yes men.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

If Gus was to be fired before the Iron Bowl, wouldn't that cost extra money, as opposed to waiting until Dec 1? I might be getting confused on payouts/dates.

His buyout goes down January 1st. 

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

bird would you not be interested in keeping caddy? if not i would enjoy your insights since i am just a fan and just because i think he is doing good there are tons of things i could miss. i want tank bad and if gus and caddy are gone do we lose him? thanx

Not enough data to make a determination for me

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

I hope to God we don't go with KS as HC. Love him as DC, but his record is as HC worse than Chizik's was at Iowa State. It would be the most Jay Jacobs JABA move ever to go with him over excellent candidates like Cristobal and Fleck.

We hired Chizik immediately after his 5-19 record. Steele is over 20 years removed from Baylor, and they weren’t set up for success like they are now. One of the great criticisms of hiring Orgeron at LSU (over Tom Herman) was his horrible record at Ole Miss. Coaches mature over time. KS would thrive at AU. 

2 minutes ago, countoff said:

Would be a little unfair to put KS in a interim “prove it” audition status. He doesn’t have the players on the offense (especially OL) in the short term to show his capabilities as HC

I would say he would have everything but OL and an O staff.  He would need a good plan for OC, OLC and look closer at the other coaches resumes/performance and make a call on each of them.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Chizik definitely lost the fan base as I remember it. Boy was it ugggggllllyyy around here after that Arky game in 2012. Then the TAMU fiasco? Oh jeez

I seem to remember him getting roasted in threads for his weekly pressers, after he kept referring to good practices that were sharp and crisp.

One question I haven't seen answered:  Is Kevin Steele interested in being a head coach again?  I know he interviewed for the Tennessee job a couple of years ago, but is that indicative of his desire to be 'the man'? 

Of course, the amount of money the head coach position entails would be difficult for pretty much any one of us to turn down.

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I seem to remember him getting roasted in threads for his weekly pressers, after he kept referring to good practices that were sharp and crisp.

IMO the short biking shorts was his attempt at actually trying to get fired and get that buyout $$$$

auburn-short-shorts.jpg

look Gus knows the score. When he asked for another year last year there was no doubt that he was told this year had to result in some form of major improvement . It did not. Just the same as it has been. Don’t feel to sorry for Gus. He knew when he pushed for and received top 5 pay it came with higher requirements . So he made his deal and failed to deliver his part. Now he must except the results. It’s business folks just like your job. They pay you for certain results you can blame the moon if you want, but the end of the day you don’t produce what was requested then they fire you.

42 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

It turned into a Kevin Steele thread. I kept reading to see what yall were smoking.

So did they practice yesterday or not?

no they had the day off because it is samford next.

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

If Gus beats Bama I really don't see how he's removed. If they wanted a change then they should've done it after LSU 2017, or after last season, or this past Sunday. Now he has a very good chance to beat a very injury-riddled Bama @ JHS. I realize you can't be too impulsive, but sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. He just gave a press conference today, so he's not going anywhere until possibly the IB.

Truth ^^

He will finish this season better than last, and face Bama with no QB/2 defensive players out/a WR out due to injures, he'll beat the brakes off them and the fan base will celebrate and love him again and all will be well.

He will may promises again, look to a bright future and leverage the upcoming recruiting class to get to stay where he is.....we've all seen this play out so many times.

27 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

An instant benefit would be his coaching network and willingness to hire the best and most accomplished, not yes men.

And press conferences would be so much more refreshing. Coach Steele is so enlightening in his teaching the media. 

3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

One question I haven't seen answered:  Is Kevin Steele interested in being a head coach again?  I know he interviewed for the Tennessee job a couple of years ago, but is that indicative of his desire to be 'the man'? 

Of course, the amount of money the head coach position entails would be difficult for pretty much any one of us to turn down.

With top coordinators making over $1 million/year without the extra headaches and work that come with the head coach job, I can see why Kevin Steele might not be in a hurry to try it again.  If he was going to try it again, Auburn is probably where he would prefer to do it.  His defense is in place, and he already has a staff that he can work with.  He knows the players, and he knows there is talent for whoever he hired for an offensive staff to work with.

i want someone as coach that puts the fear of the lord in our opponents when they face us. i want a coach that makes sure we have a true route tree so some negative people do not have the chance to embarrass us with all the high school crap. plus........if george pickens old man was an auburn fan and told his son he would do better in the pro's if he went to ga we should remedy that and put it behind us as lesson learned.

26 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We hired Chizik immediately after his 5-19 record. Steele is over 20 years removed from Baylor, and they weren’t set up for success like they are now. One of the great criticisms of hiring Orgeron at LSU (over Tom Herman) was his horrible record at Ole Miss. Coaches mature over time. KS would thrive at AU. 

Orgeron is the exception; not the rule. He also had more than half a season to audition for his job. Kevin Steel MIGHT have matured and MIGHT make a good HC for us. But Cristobal or Fleck would undoubtedly be great for us. If we don't go after one of those two, we will regret it later, ala Kirby Smart.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Gonna throw this out for everyone's take...maybe stupid, I don't know. Garner is the associate head coach currently. IF, they were to get rid of Gus before the season is over, why not move him to HC? Leave Steele as DC and look for a new DL coach. Move out some offensive coaches and bring in Kendall Briles as OC. I doubt anyone on staff knows how Auburn works better than Garner and he's worked at several major SEC programs. Now long term, maybe not but short term I'd be ok to see how he does. Assuming a move sooner rather than later, and if Garner would even have the desire for it. (And assuming, they don't already have someone waiting in the wings to hire.) Now tell me why this is crazy.:dunno:

The main reason I wouldn’t like that option is we need Rodney coaching the DL.  In my mind he is the most irreplaceable coach on the whole staff.  If we had an OL coach as good at recruiting and coaching the OL as Rodney is at recruiting and coaching the DL we wouldn’t be having any of these conversations. The OC or Gus or whoever was calling the plays would look like genius.  

2 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I hope to God we don't go with KS as HC. Love him as DC, but his record is as HC worse than Chizik's was at Iowa State. It would be the most Jay Jacobs JABA move ever to go with him over excellent candidates like Cristobal and Fleck.

Fleck isn't coming and as much as I like him he's right where he needs to be. Cristobal now I'd take in a heartbeat. Keeping Steele will be hard enough unless he has some sense of what the next couple of years is like. There's a fox in the hen house when it comes to Steele if we don't make a move.......that fox being Saban. 

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

IMO the short biking shorts was his attempt at actually trying to get fired and get that buyout $$$$

auburn-short-shorts.jpg

source-4.gif

Archived