Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

43 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Orgeron is the exception; not the rule. He also had more than half a season to audition for his job. Kevin Steel MIGHT have matured and MIGHT make a good HC for us. But Cristobal or Fleck would undoubtedly be great for us. If we don't go after one of those two, we will regret it later, ala Kirby Smart.

Ok. I respect that opinion. New HCs almost always bring most of their current staff. How are you with these guys making up the majority of our staff next year?

3E9BF590-AADB-4F6E-ADA9-22758EB929E0.png

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Not only did Chiz lose the fanbase, he lost the team. Passing time tends to heal all things as we all know. Most folks like Chiz now but he was ripped apart when he was at rock bottom. 

I guess I don't remember him losing the fanbase...or if so, at least not to this degree. The slow, excruciating pull of a seven-year Bandaid as compared to a three-year one is...incomparable. Or to be fair...pulling it on and off repeatedly for 7 years? 

I knew CGC lost the team. People have used it as reason #infinity for CGM to be retained...because as far as we know, he hasn't. However, we do need to be asking the fanbase question when it seems to be growing more widespread. Again, this isn't a whim! So, so avoidable in so many ways. 😢

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ok. I respect that opinion. New HCs almost always bring most of their current staff. How are you with these guys making up the majority of our staff next year?

I imagine it would be like when Chizik came over -- used his network to get an SEC caliber staff together. He didn't bring many people over from Iowa State IIRC. And Gus brought too many from Arky State but Gus is an infant in this industry and didn't know any better LOL

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I imagine it would be like when Chizik came over -- used his network to get an SEC caliber staff together. He didn't bring many people over from Iowa State IIRC. And Gus brought too many from Arky State but Gus is an infant in this industry and didn't know any better LOL

Most of Flecks guys cut their teeth at places like Akron, UTEP, Maine, Western Michigan and have likely never been to Auburn or even an SEC game in their life. I’m just trying to contrast that to retaining all of our defensive staff and bringing in an offensive staff that is selected by a HC who has almost 40 years of networking in the Deep South. Chizik had significant ties to southeast and Auburn. Fleck has none that I’m aware of.  Everything is pure speculation for all of us right now, but I hope if we make a move we dig deep into the details like the staff and their backgrounds. Cristobal would be a guy who could probably bring in a more SEC like staff. 

6 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Fleck lost last weekend. Do not want.

And Cristobal lost to Gus. I still would want Cristobal over Fleck but I'd also take Fleck over Gustav. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Most of Flecks guys cut their teeth at places like Akron, UTEP, Maine, Western Michigan and have likely never been to Auburn or even an SEC game in their life. I’m just trying to contrast that to retaining all of our defensive staff and bringing in an offensive staff that is selected by a HC who has almost 40 years of networking in the Deep South. Chizik had significant ties to southeast and Auburn. Everything is pure speculation for all of us right now, but I hope if we make a move we dig deep into the details like the staff and their backgrounds. Cristobal would be a guy who could probably bring in a more SEC like staff. 

IMO Cristobal would be a guy more likely to keep Steele and his staff. Cristobal appeals to me the most due to his OL coaching background. I also feel he would get an offense implemented that would be more competitive against the SEC defenses of today.

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

And Cristobal lost to Gus. I still would want Cristobal over Fleck but I'd also take Fleck over Gustav. 

This. It's like people don't put into perspective the level of talent Fleck has playing under him. What he's doing at Minnesota is ALL heart and technique. Those guys have bought in 100% and it shows. Everyone idolizes Saban, but what Fleck and Rhule and guys like that are doing is out coaching him by a mile.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

We've lost 12 out of the last 15 to UGA. Holy ****

Are you counting basketball games or something? That cannot be right in just football. We have won 3 of them since national title season.

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Are you counting basketball games or something? That cannot be right in just football. We have won 3 of them since national title season.

image.png

32 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

If Fleck is smart he brings some guys with southern roots to ease transition...maybe retains a current recruiter or two off our D staff.

32 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Fleck lost last weekend. Do not want.

Yeah... We need to be careful not to simply chase whomever has a hot team right now.  Think Scott Frost....Turner Gill...Charlie Strong.....Al Golden.  A lot of times their success at smaller schools has more to do with a good chemistry with the area recruiting and with the university PTBs.  Sometimes these coaches would be much better off if they would simply stay put and build a dynasty AKA Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, 

6 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Beat me by, like, 3 seconds.

Although, we did win 2004 and 2005

We sure did. I just saw the stat somewhere about the last 15.

But losing 12 of the last 17 only sounds marginally better but equally as sad lol

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If Fleck is smart he brings some guys with southern roots to ease transition...maybe retains a current recruiter or two off our D staff.

I would hope that’s the case.  I like Fleck, I’m just being devils advocate on how many things have to be considered beyond just who’s a good candidate. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would hope that’s the case.  I like Fleck, I’m just being devils advocate on how many things have to be considered beyond just who’s a good candidate. 

I love Fleck, too, but I'd be wary of no SEC experience. 

6 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I love Fleck, too, but I'd be wary of no SEC experience. 

Eh, if you're a good enough coach, that doesn't matter.  Urban has zero SEC ties.  Neither did Saban when he took the LSU job.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, if you're a good enough coach, that doesn't matter.  Urban has zero SEC ties.  Neither did Saban when he took the LSU job.

True. 

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

I guess I don't remember him losing the fanbase...or if so, at least not to this degree. The slow, excruciating pull of a seven-year Bandaid as compared to a three-year one is...incomparable. Or to be fair...pulling it on and off repeatedly for 7 years? 

I knew CGC lost the team. People have used it as reason #infinity for CGM to be retained...because as far as we know, he hasn't. However, we do need to be asking the fanbase question when it seems to be growing more widespread. Again, this isn't a whim! So, so avoidable in so many ways. 😢

Well in fairness, literally every coach who is fired (outside of sports reasons) loses the fanbase I think. I mean, no one ever fires a coach for winning a national championship. :) 

39 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I definitely see what you're saying, which is why Cristobal is my runaway number 1 favorite. He gave FIU their first winning season is school history, effectively recruited in Florida, killed it in recruiting at Bama, and has done a stellar job at Oregon. His offensive line recruiting and development, if coupled with Steel's defense would have had us undefeated this year even if Gus were calling plays lol.

Archived