Dug up after a year, for some reason: Endorsement for Steele

AUght2win

**NOTE FROM OP: This thread was from last year, I do NOT want Steele as HC, losing repeatedly to UGA is a helluva drug.**

Assuming the multitude of rumors are true, with Gus being out and Steele being promoted, I understand people's negative reaction. It does seem like another JABA move of keeping everything within the family. But I actually like the move. Let me sell you on it.

If it's Steele, I am assuming he will be given the kind of contract that coaches should have - a short term, low pay, prove-it deal. He won't have much of a buyout because, like Coach O at LSU, nobody is gonna want to steal him away from us. This will free up money for a real-deal offensive coordinator. 

The Steele promotion would also keep the ship somewhat stable, and maintain our great defense. We have the pieces to win RIGHT NOW, so I think it's good not to totally rock the boat if you don't have to.

Steele is a CEO. Steele is a true coach and developer. Steele is the embodiment of Auburn's fearless, tough attitude. If he isn't the answer, then we can take a ride on the coaching carousel next year. We and Coach Steele both know he isn't the long term solution, but he could help the organization he's been a part of building reach its potential before he retires.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Bring on the Steele Curtain.

As a lifelong Steeler fan.....I approve of this messaging. :)

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Assuming the multitude of rumors are true, with Gus being out and Steele being promoted, I understand people's negative reaction. It does seem like another JABA move of keeping everything within the family. But I actually like the move. Let me sell you on it.

If it's Steele, I am assuming he will be given the kind of contract that coaches should have - a short term, low pay, prove-it deal. He won't have much of a buyout because, like Coach O at LSU, nobody is gonna want to steal him away from us. This will free up money for a real-deal offensive coordinator. 

The Steele promotion would also keep the ship somewhat stable, and maintain our great defense. We have the pieces to win RIGHT NOW, so I think it's good not to totally rock the boat if you don't have to.

Steele is a CEO. Steele is a true coach and developer. Steele is the embodiment of Auburn's fearless, tough attitude. If he isn't the answer, then we can take a ride on the coaching carousel next year. We and Coach Steele both know he isn't the long term solution, but he could help the organization he's been a part of building reach its potential before he retires.

No. 

CaptainNO.gif

24 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If it's Steele, I am assuming he will be given the kind of contract that coaches should have - a short term, low pay, prove-it deal.

You can't give him a deal less than five years without screwing up recruiting. A recruit isn't going to want to commit to a school with a HC on a short (less than five-year) deal. The recruit is going to want to be able to reasonably assume the HC will be there for the recruit's duration at school. That's one of the reasons contracts are rolled over and renewed frequently.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

No. 

CaptainNO.gif

If we can get a proven big name (and I would certainly try) then let's do it. But if not, Steele is probably the only guaranteed successful move. We could probably offer Bill Clark a low cost deal and he'd take it. 

1 minute ago, Tiger1992 said:

You can't give him a deal less than five years without screwing up recruiting. A recruit isn't going to want to commit to a school with a HC on a short (less than five-year) deal. The recruit is going to want to be able to reasonably assume the HC will be there for the recruit's duration at school. That's one of the reasons contracts are rolled over and renewed frequently.

If it's 5 years, 2 or 3 million, who cares? We can cut him loose at any time. So it's essentially a year to year deal.

It's not the worst idea ever, but I'd have to get a hard "no" from Bob Stoops and Cristobal before I'd even entertain it.  People dismissing it because he couldn't get a doormat of the Big XII out of the cellar 20 years ago are being too simplistic.

But there is some merit to the argument that a 5-year deal is the going minimum to reassure recruits that he's going to be around for a while. 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If we can get a proven big name (and I would certainly try) then let's do it. But if not, Steele is probably the only guaranteed successful move. We could probably offer Bill Clark a low cost deal and he'd take it. 

"guaranteed successful move"  

Really?

:brickwall:

This Steele fetish is the perfect example of how the term J.A.B.A. came about in the first place. 

Seems it's quite a serious outbreak, too.  You all should seek immediate treatment from qualified mental health professionals.  

You definitely can’t go into it with an assumption that he is a fill gap coach.  He is 10 years younger than Saban so he could be around awhile if he wins.  Like most have said if the wheels fall off after he becomes head coach then go shopping.  That being said I don’t think Gus leaves unless it’s on his own accord.

No thanks on Steele.  If Auburn has to resort to that, then leave everything as is until they can.

I could slap CGM up side the head for putting our fan base in a situation where Keven Steele gets serious consideration for the HC position.  

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Someone define "JABA" for me.

Just Auburn being Auburn.

I like Stoops, Cristobal, and Clark before I like Steele.  I wonder if Clark and Steele could work together.

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If it's 5 years, 2 or 3 million, who cares? We can cut him loose at any time. So it's essentially a year to year deal.

Which is fine money-wise, as long as it's at least five years.

But I personally would prefer they look for an offensive-minded coach first who would ideally leave the defensive side to Steele.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

"guaranteed successful move"  

Really?

:brickwall:

This Steele fetish is the perfect example of how the term J.A.B.A. came about in the first place. 

Seems it's quite a serious outbreak, too.  You all should seek immediate treatment from qualified mental health professionals.  

Oh goodness. You must not have been keeping up with Auburn football for the past 4 years. So let me catch you up. Coach Kevin Steele is amazing. He took a putrid defense and made it into one of the best in school history.

Auburn basically has 2 separate teams at the moment. The defense - coached, motivated, and developed entirely by Steele. And the offense - coached, motivated, and developed entirely by Malzahn. 

Steele's almost been able to carry this program with just his defense. I don't see how allowing his role to expand makes us worse. We aren't far from a national title, and CKS is the reason.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

No thanks on Steele.  If Auburn has to resort to that, then leave everything as is until they can.

I could slap CGM up side the head for putting our fan base in a situation where Keven Steele gets serious consideration for the HC position.  

The only knock on Steele is his record at pre-competitive Baylor. Which is R I D I C U L O U S. It was 20 years ago, at one of the worst programs in America. Y'all are nuts if you think he is the same guy.

3 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

Which is fine money-wise, as long as it's at least five years.

But I personally would prefer they look for an offensive-minded coach first who would ideally leave the defensive side to Steele.

The problem is I don't think Steele would be retained by any new guy, if we get a new guy. That's what people don't understand. Head coaches are all about "their guys". Even with CKS's success, the only way he is going to be retained is if he is the HC.

Just now, AUght2win said:

The problem is I don't think Steele would be retained by any new guy, if we get a new guy. That's what people don't understand. Head coaches are all about "their guys". Even with CKS's success, the only way he is going to be retained is if he is the HC.

I don't think this is true at all.  Yes, some coaches would be that way.  Others would be happy to walk into a situation where one side of the ball is killing it and needs no changes so they can concentrate on the side of the ball that needs fixing.  I think a lot of coaches would keep Steele around in this situation.

I just don't get the love for Clark.  Can somebody share why numerous people want him? 

The thing I really like about Steele is that the defense will run through walls for him and he builds depth by playing multiple Freshmen every year.  It's so different from Gus.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Oh goodness. You must not have been keeping up with Auburn football for the past 4 years. So let me catch you up. Coach Kevin Steele is amazing. He took a putrid defense and made it into one of the best in school history.

Auburn basically has 2 separate teams at the moment. The defense - coached, motivated, and developed entirely by Steele. And the offense - coached, motivated, and developed entirely by Malzahn. 

Steele's almost been able to carry this program with just his defense. I don't see how allowing his role to expand makes us worse. We aren't far from a national title, and CKS is the reason.

None of which proves Steele will be a good head coach.  He wasn't before.  Gus is a NC winning OC.

The funny (in a sad, pathetic, horror story sort of way)  is that this is Auburn and making Steele head coach may actually come to pass.

See:  Ellis Johnson Southern Mississippi

Archived