Dug up after a year, for some reason: Endorsement for Steele

AUght2win

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

None of which proves Steele will be a good head coach.  He wasn't before.  Gus is a NC winning OC.

The funny (in a sad, pathetic, horror story sort of way)  is that this is Auburn and making Steele head coach may actually come to pass.

See:  Ellis Johnson Southern Mississippi

See also:  Ed Orgeron, LSU

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I just don't get the love for Clark.  Can somebody share why numerous people want him? 

The thing I really like about Steele is that the defense will run through walls for him and he builds depth by playing multiple Freshmen every year.  It's so different from Gus.

Because Clark appears to be an incredible head coach with roots all over the state. He has done the impossible at UAB. 

2 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I just don't get the love for Clark.  Can somebody share why numerous people want him? 

The thing I really like about Steele is that the defense will run through walls for him and he builds depth by playing multiple Freshmen every year.  It's so different from Gus.

Because he's local and what he did at UAB is actually impressive. But make no mistake about it, if he coached at San Jose State or somewhere far away from this region of the country with the same exact credentials he wouldn't be named at all on this board as a candidate.

4 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Clark is just a damn good coach and will eventually get a shot at a big boy program.  I don't think he's ready to make the jump to Auburn and take on Saban and Smart yet.  But it won't be too much longer before he would be.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

No Kevin Steele - No Bill Clark

Damn, why does Auburn have to settle for test cases at freaking HC?  

Because we owe our soon-to-be-last one 30 million dollars.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

He wasn't before. 

Can't wrap my head around someone actually judging Steele on Baylor 20 years ago. Since then he's coached under Bowden, Saban, Swinney and Miles. Two decades at nothing but elite, successful programs and you think he is going to repeat his Baylor stint? 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

See also:  Ed Orgeron, LSU

Touche!

You could also list Saban and Bob Stoops.  But I have zero confidence the Steele era will work to Auburn's benefit.  

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think this is true at all.  Yes, some coaches would be that way.  Others would be happy to walk into a situation where one side of the ball is killing it and needs no changes so they can concentrate on the side of the ball that needs fixing.  I think a lot of coaches would keep Steele around in this situation.

It is extremely rare. I can't remember the last time a major DC or OC was retained by an incoming coach at a major program. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

It is extremely rare. I can't remember the last time a major DC or OC was retained by an incoming coach at a major program. 

Usually that's because neither side of the ball was anything to write home about when they took the job.  The defensive staff situation at Auburn is unique in that regard - we've had one of the best defenses in the country the last two years.  That's quite an asset to allow to walk out the door if you don't have to.

35 minutes ago, keesler said:

No Kevin Steele - No Bill Clark

Damn, why does Auburn have to settle for test cases at freaking HC?  

Meanwhile Matt Campbell has been sitting there at Iowa State doing for them what Dan Mullen did for Miss State: punching way above their weight and biding his time for a good job to open up. Not saying we should go call him tomorrow but we need to be calling guys like him before we call the Bill Clarks of the world. 

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Meanwhile Matt Campbell has been sitting there at Iowa State doing for them what Dan Mullen did for Miss State: punching way above their weight and biding his time for a good job to open up. not saying we should go call him tomorrow but we need to be calling guys like him before we call the Bill Clarks of the world. 

Completely agree with this. Campbell has been at a power 5 job and made Iowa state a respectable team. More impressive to me than what Clark has done at UAB which is also impressive but its a conference USA school not a Big 12 school. 

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Meanwhile Matt Campbell has been sitting there at Iowa State doing for them what Dan Mullen did for Miss State: punching way above their weight and biding his time for a good job to open up. not saying we should go call him tomorrow but we need to be calling guys like him before we call the Bill Clarks of the world. 

For the record I agree that we should go after big names first. But this thread is basically my take on what all the insiders are saying is GOING to happen. I wouldn't be mad if it is Steele.

14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Can't wrap my head around someone actually judging Steele on Baylor 20 years ago. Since then he's coached under Bowden, Saban, Swinney and Miles. Two decades at nothing but elite, successful programs and you think he is going to repeat his Baylor stint? 

I have been given no reason to believe he'd be a better head coach than Gus.  

14 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I know this is irrational, but after Chizik and Leath, I'm in no mood to take any more things from Iowa State.

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Well, he's a better defensive coordinator than Gus has been an offensive coordinator, so there's that.

7 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I'll also say, the situation on defense Steele came into was a lot tougher than the one on offense that Gus came into.  The 2012 offensive debacle was more an issue of Chizik trying to take players recruited to Gus's 2009-11 offense and making them run some bastardized shitstorm of a pro-style offense by Loeffler.  The players outside of Nick Marshall were in place, just misused.  Auburn's defense had been a mess since Tuberville left.  Muschamp made some strides in 2015 but it's Steele who has crafted that unit and his coaching staff on that side of the ball into a masterpiece.  

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Well, he's a better defensive coordinator than Gus has been an offensive coordinator, so there's that.

Gus won a NC as OC.  He's now the head coach.

Which brings up a truth no one has mentioned.  Head coaches aren't always their own OC or aren't ALWAYS really able to be successful as HC and OC (like Gus). 

Steele isn't going to be his own DC,  which is the very reason people want to keep Steele by making him HC.   

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I know this is irrational, but after Chizik and Leath, I'm in no mood to take any more things from Iowa State.

I get it, but I prefer to frame it in my mind that the last coach we hired from Iowa State brought home a natty. I was in school for both 2010 and 2012 and I've buried 2012 way down and I really don't even think about it anymore. Also, Matt Campbell is actually a pretty good coach. He isn't winning every game (I mean, it's freakin Iowa State) but there's no easy wins when the 'Clones come to town. 

Just now, AURealist said:

He's been the OC the entire time, even when someone else had the title.  Don't kid yourself.  And it's been almost a decade since that natty.

Which brings up a truth no one has mentioned.  Head coaches aren't always their own OC or aren't really able to be successful as HC and OC (like Gus). 

Steele isn't going to be his own DC,  which is the very reason people want to keep Steele by making him HC.   

I think what people see is that T-Will is on his way to being an DC very soon.  Now normally you'd say he'd get that shot at a smaller school before getting a job like Auburn.  But in this scenario, he could move into that role now, keeping the defensive staff intact, but get his first few years in the job with Steele there as a backstop and mentor.

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I get it, but I prefer to frame it in my mind that the last coach we hired from Iowa State brought home a natty. I was in school for both 2010 and 2012 and I've buried 2012 way down and I really don't even think about it anymore. Also, Matt Campbell is actually a pretty good coach. He isn't winning every game (I mean, it's freakin Iowa State) but there's no easy wins when the 'Clones come to town. 

I  like Campbell because his team is good with the fundamentals.  His guys aren't top tier, but they're solid.  

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Which brings up a truth no one has mentioned.  Head coaches aren't always their own OC or aren't really able to be successful as HC and OC (like Gus). 

You are saying a lot of things that just aren't true, or that you're making big assumptions on.

I think Steele will absolutely maintain a firm grip on the defense, much the same way Saban does at Alabama. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You are saying a lot of things that just aren't true, or that you're making big assumptions on.

I think Steele will absolutely maintain a firm grip on the defense, much the same way Saban does at Alabama. 

You think most HC's are really their own OC, too?  Like Orgeron?

Not only do you believe Kevin Steele is sure-fire HC material, but he's gonna be running the defense, too?   

Wow. 

Who's making the assumptions?

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He's been the OC the entire time, even when someone else had the title.  Don't kid yourself.  And it's been almost a decade since that natty.

I think what people see is that T-Will is on his way to being an DC very soon.  Now normally you'd say he'd get that shot at a smaller school before getting a job like Auburn.  But in this scenario, he could move into that role now, keeping the defensive staff intact, but get his first few years in the job with Steele there as a backstop and mentor.

As I said in another post:

It seems KS is now not only HC material, not just for a small school, but an SEC school, and is also going to be running the D. 

Is his real name Clark Kent?  Aren't we running the risk of divulging his secret identity? 

You think most HC's are really their own OC, too?  Like Orgeron?

Not only do you believe Kevin Steele is sure-fire HC material, but he's gonna be running the defense, too?   

Wow. 

Who's making the assumptions?

Gus Malzahn has always been his own OC. Saban has always been his own DC. Mullen, Freeze, Smart, Muschamp, and Pruitt all run their respective sides of the ball. Should I go on? True CEOs - like Orgeron, Tubberville, Miles, Fulmer, Richt don't seem to be the trend in the SEC right now. 

Archived