Chette Williams son killed

aubiefifty

Son of longtime Auburn University football team chaplain killed in Atlanta shootout

Updated Nov 19, 2019;Posted Nov 19, 2019

2-3 minutes

Montgomery Real-Time News

Rev. Chette Williams with members of the Auburn University football team.

The adult son of Auburn University’s longtime football team chaplain was killed in an Atlanta shootout over the weekend.

Gus Malzahn, in his weekly Tuesday press conference, extended his condolences to the Rev. Chette Williams, a former Auburn linebacker who not only serves as the team chaplain but is also the Auburn campus director for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the State Director for Urban Ministries for FCA. Williams played from 1982 to 1984.

“The first thing I wanted to say is we’re hurting for Brother Chette (Williams), our FCA chaplain. He lost his son over the weekend. Brother Chette has been around here a long time, I think over 20 years. He’s touched so many of our players’ hearts over the years,’’ Malzahn said. “I know he’s a personal friend to all of our coaches and a personal friend for me. He goes on a mission trip with me and Kristi every summer with our players. We’re just hurt for him. Auburn family -- we’re going to love him and help him through this tough time.”

Chette Williams Jr. was killed Saturday night, and word of his death began to spread on social media Sunday. It wasn’t until Monday that DeKalb County police officials identified Williams Jr. as the man killed in the deadly shooting.

Atlanta media outlets said Williams Jr. was killed while he was trying to rob someone else at a gas station. According to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution, the shooting happened in the parking lot of a QuikTrip at the corner of Flat Shoals Parkway and Clifton Springs Road. The victim, a 32-year-old man, told police he was pumping gas when he was approached by Williams Jr, who pulled his vehicle in front of the victim’s, brandished a handgun and said, “you know what time it is.”

Shots were fired between the suspect and the victim. Williams Jr. then sped away from the scene in a vehicle but crashed into a parked car. Williams was found wounded in a vehicle and taken to Grady Memorial Hospital where he died. Police said no charges will be filed in the death of Williams Jr.

I can't begin to imagine what Brother Chette is going through but I'm praying for him and his family. The story gives some clarity to the tragedy that took his life and I hope and pray that Chette Jr. had his personal salvation worked out. Reverend Chette has helped change the direction of the lives of many young men. As a father he may wonder if there was something else he could have done but as a Christian he knows that God can turn tragedy into glory for his good. If someone else turns toward Christ because of this then Chette Jr did not die for nothing. 

I cannot remember how long ago I read  "Hard Fighting Soldiers".  Good quick read.  I never got  to meet Chette when I was a student at Auburn.   I used to go to a  weekly youth group with the assistant team chaplain.  He really looked  up  to Chette and Chette was a great mentor  to  him.   This hurts.  I cannot  imagine what He and his family are going through.   Auburn is almost a perfect place.  When these tragedies take place it is shattering.  

One thing that gives me as a father gray hair (what little hair I have left) is that I can do everything right in my interactions with my kids (and pray for them continuously) and they can still end up making poor life decisions.  They have their own minds and will and are prone to go astray at times.  My heart goes out to Rev. Chette and his family.

That was a fine family around Auburn. Not saying the article is incorrect, it's just very surprising. Entirely out of character for what you'd expect from seeing them here and there.

Archived