Why Gus is going to be fired.

ToomersStreet

Last weekend I had a two  hour discussion with a good  friend on whhy I thought Gus would be here for next season.    These were my reasons for  Gus coming back.

1. Too many moving pieces not on the same page.  Some wanted Gus gone.  Some wanted him gone but did not want to pay the buy out.   Does  Jay Gogue want to have any part in this as an interim?  Where does Allen Greene fit  into  all  of this  and what is his role?  Does  the Board of  Trustees want  to deal  with the negative press,  financial  responsibilities etc?

2.   There is not  a quality  proven HC.The  best proven HC IMO out there is Bill  Clark  at UAB and  him being successful is a long shot.  Bob Stoops is really a potential desire.  Like Tuberville, Stoops lost his taste for recruiting a  while back.  Like Brett Bielema he hated having to  go to the southeast and recruit against SEC schools.  Recruiting  the South is intense hard takes charisma and a lot  of man hours, something he did not  like dealing  with.   Additionally, what  would his results look like?  Spurrier was awesome at UF and turned  the into a Blue Blood, but at USca? three straight 11-2  seasons is  awesome but that was his pinnacle.  In 10 seasons at  Carolina he had SIX, 6 loss  seasons and went 9-10 his final  two seasons. After Florida  what really did the guy have to prove?   What does  Stoops have to prove.

3.  The buy out is still enormous and it will be cheaper next year.  Further, next season is a rebuilding uear and if the best Gus can do with the team he has this year is  assumable 8-4 next season will be what?7-5 (3-5)?

Why Gus will be fire.

1.  Manny moving pieces as to why he will be fired.  But those pieces want him gone. Who  will pay  how much of the buy out?  What will the justification be?  When?  Gus spent more time  this last year working on proving his offense than rallying the fan base around him.

2.  Kevin Steeles' name has been gaining more steam as the replacement and personally  I like the idea.  Almost an LSU/Orgeron move.  But the next coach has possibly been identified.

3. Why wait  until next season for  him  to fail? Let's go ahead  and get it over with.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the things that people keep leaving off with Orgeron is that he didn't just start out with a couple games left. The guy went 6-2 at USCw and placed second in the south and then went 6-2 in the SEC West and placed second. He was successful at taking over and rallying two major programs before given the LSU job full time. That is a little different to me than him just starting off fresh into a season like Steele will.

If they keep Gus it is cause they want to save money and have noone else interested that justifies the move. If they fire Gus and promote Steele it is cause they are trying to satisfy the fan base and have noone else interested, they will have decided it is worth the money to just take anyone.

I think they have put their feelers out and there is nothing there.

5 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I think one of the things that people keep leaving off with Orgeron is that he didn't just start out with a couple games left. The guy went 6-2 at USCw and placed second in the south and then went 6-2 in the SEC West and placed second. He was successful at taking over and rallying two major programs before given the LSU job full time. That is a little different to me than him just starting off fresh into a season like Steele will.

If they keep Gus it is cause they want to save money and have noone else interested that justifies the move. If they fire Gus and promote Steele it is cause they are trying to satisfy the fan base and have noone else interested, they will have decided it is worth the money to just take anyone.

I think they have put their feelers out and there is nothing there.

But are they really satisfying the fanbase by doing that? I feel like it will I rate most of the fans base . I agree with most of your premises however.

1. He stays, then it is almost illogical to argue that money isn’t factor 

2. they keep KS then that is just a lazy hire. It might work out but after all of the names being hired and they go that route? Very suspect. 

3. I have to wonder if it goes down like two how involved really is AD Greene. Based on the things I’ve seen from him, this does not seem like a move he would make. To me it sounds a lot more like placate the movers behind the scene. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

But are they really satisfying the fanbase by doing that? I feel like it will I rate most of the fans base . I agree with most of your premises however.

1. He stays, then it is almost illogical to argue that money isn’t factor 

2. they keep KS then that is just a lazy hire. It might work out but after all of the names being hired and they go that route? Very suspect. 

3. I have to wonder if it goes down like two how involved really is AD Greene. Based on the things I’ve seen from him, this does not seem like a move he would make. To me it sounds a lot more like placate the movers behind the scene. 

Based on what the beat writers are podcasting, there is no one in power within AU that has emerged as a leader...and certainly none that have unified those decision makers.  If so, we're kind of stuck with what we've got unless the wheels fall off.  And you'd have to seriously question any hire we do make.  With no clear leader and no clear vision then it will be a decision by committee and I'm afraid we'll end up with someone that's simply hired because he placates the desires of a multitude of interests.

Maybe I’m wrong but I just don’t see momentum behind making a change, especially with an interim president and a still fairly new AD.  Unless Gus sees the opening at Arkansas as a way to voluntarily step away, get a few more years as an SEC head coach without the pressure of the Auburn situation and save the embarrassment of being fired, I think he stays another year.  He’s going to end up this year with somewhere between 8 and 10 wins.  It’ not like the wheels have fallen off and I don’t think that’s going to be a enough for Auburn to fire him and eat all that buyout.  It all hinges on him making a deal where both sides voluntarily waive the buyout and he moves on to Arkansas with a new contract and several years to show improvement.   Bill Battle one time said “when they running you out of town just get out front and make it look like a parade with you leading it”.   That’s the one way everyone saves face and Gus moves on without an ugly mess.  

Does anyone really believe Gus is going anywhere on his on accord?  That would be down right silly on his part, to leave millions on the table and walk away.  To top that off, why in the world do that to head off to Arkansas the dumpster fire it is?????  Gus is going nowhere without Auburn making it happen.  Why would he?

We must remember he is stubborn, we have all learned this by watching him try and run an offense for years now.  So, don't you all think he still believes he has the ability to get the offense where it needs to be, and he can win championships at Auburn?  Quite frankly, he most likely is the only person left on the planet that believes it, but he does, just like he believes the whirlybird was a good call.  

I see no way he leaves without a push, and it will be a costly one at that.  Auburn put Auburn in this situation (JABA) and it is Auburn that will have to get us out of it.  Gus is sitting pretty, he is set no matter what happens.  So like it are not, he is our coach until the admin, BOT or whoever will take a lead decides otherwise.

21 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Why wait  until next season for  him  to fail? Let's go ahead  and get it over with.

If only this message board could do it, we would. Unfortunately we have to wait and see if the BOT are willing. 

35 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

2-5 vs LSU, 2-6 vs GA and so far 2-4 vs Bammer. Also, 2-4 in bowl games.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of our fans and administrators are ok with losing to our rivals every year. 

Just now, WalkingCarpet said:

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of our fans and administrators are ok with losing to our rivals every year. 

Fans yes. I wouldn’t go as far as administrators. Of course if he is still here if we lose to Bama then yes for sure .

2 minutes ago, drush said:

Does anyone really believe Gus is going anywhere on his on accord?  That would be down right silly on his part, to leave millions on the table and walk away.  To top that off, why in the world do that to head off to Arkansas the dumpster fire it is?????  Gus is going nowhere without Auburn making it happen.  Why would he?

We must remember he is stubborn, we have all learned this by watching him try and run an offense for years now.  So, don't you all think he still believes he has the ability to get the offense where it needs to be, and he can win championships at Auburn?  Quite frankly, he most likely is the only person left on the planet that believes it, but he does, just like he believes the whirlybird was a good call.  

I see no way he leaves without a push, and it will be a costly one at that.  Auburn put Auburn in this situation (JABA) and it is Auburn that will have to get us out of it.  Gus is sitting pretty, he is set no matter what happens.  So like it are not, he is our coach until the admin, BOT or whoever will take a lead decides otherwise.

Yes,  you have nailed it, especially with paragraph 2. And it makes me passionately furious. I used to think perseverance was a good trait. But you have to know when to hold up, when to fold up.

Maybe all of this is what it's going to take to fix larger fish than CGM at Auburn University. I can't even imagine what my dad would say, but I am honestly thankful he's not here to see it. Heard a lot about university maneuverings growing up (#hanly) but this is a new mutation entirely. 

Why CGM won't be fired?  Who else is out there that is not a complete gamble?

1. Bill Clark?  Thumped by UTK....and scored a whopping 2 points against USM?
  2. Bob Stoops? Ain't gonna happen and not sure we really want him based on the comments above about his overall attitude
  3. An unproven coordinator?  that would be a total crap shoot!

17 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

As long as we keep it close, that’s all the matters. Suppose it could be worse 

1 hour ago, penguin149 said:

Why CGM won't be fired?  Who else is out there that is not a complete gamble?

1. Bill Clark?  Thumped by UTK....and scored a whopping 2 points against USM?
  2. Bob Stoops? Ain't gonna happen and not sure we really want him based on the comments above about his overall attitude
  3. An unproven coordinator?  that would be a total crap shoot!

UAB's QB was out that game.  But I am all for the crap shoot

Why Gus is going to be fired

He's not unfortunately. Let's just hope he gets weeded out eventually before we go in a bad talespin.

Josh Pate had a good point from his podcast about Gus and the Arkansas deal and just Gus in general. He thinks that Gus will be here next year. He recently changed his mind. He thinks that AU will damage it's brand by firing a coach that won 9 or 10 against this season and only losses came by way of 3  or 4 top 10 teams. He thinks that will scare some candidates away and I agree, however an elite coach should be able to see the why and understand that we want a winner.

HE thinks if Gus does get fired, he shouldn't go to Arkansas. He said he definitely shouldn't go on his own accord either. Reason being...Gus has stated mulitple times over the years he wants to win Championships. If he can't do that at Auburn, he surely isn't going to at Arkansas. He said it would be wise for Gus to use the Gruden technique and go into broadcasting for a couple of years to build his brand back up then he would get a big time offer somewhere.....and collect on his 26 mil while doing so.

He also brought up a scenario of PTB sitting Gus down and saying we are going to keep you but you have to make these changes....HE said if that happens Gus should just say No. He said he thinks Gus believes he has already made the changes necessary to win by naming himself play caller. He thinks that he just had an unproven FR QB and extremely hard schedule but the future is there for championships. I could see Gus thinking this way. 

Josh does a great job bringing multiple takes to the subject. Here is the podcasts I was referencing. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Fans yes. I wouldn’t go as far as administrators. Of course if he is still here if we lose to Bama then yes for sure .

Jmo but the PTB are hoping Gus gets another job offer and takes it.. that would be the best case scenario for Auburn.. but why would Gus walk away from 26 or 27 million whatever it is to go startup at another school (Arkansas)? I do not see Gus leaving Auburn on his own accord so if no one steps up to fire him and  pay the buyout then we are back to the same ole tired stuff next year.. and losing to our rivals.. smh

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Josh Pate had a good point from his podcast about Gus and the Arkansas deal and just Gus in general. He thinks that Gus will be here next year. He recently changed his mind. He thinks that AU will damage it's brand by firing a coach that won 9 or 10 against this season and only losses came by way of 3  or 4 top 10 teams. He thinks that will scare some candidates away and I agree, however an elite coach should be able to see the why and understand that we want a winner.

HE thinks if Gus does get fired, he shouldn't go to Arkansas. He said he definitely shouldn't go on his own accord either. Reason being...Gus has stated mulitple times over the years he wants to win Championships. If he can't do that at Auburn, he surely isn't going to at Arkansas. He said it would be wise for Gus to use the Gruden technique and go into broadcasting for a couple of years to build his brand back up then he would get a big time offer somewhere.....and collect on his 26 mil while doing so.

He also brought up a scenario of PTB sitting Gus down and saying we are going to keep you but you have to make these changes....HE said if that happens Gus should just say No. He said he thinks Gus believes he has already made the changes necessary to win by naming himself play caller. He thinks that he just had an unproven FR QB and extremely hard schedule but the future is there for championships. I could see Gus thinking this way. 

Josh does a great job bringing multiple takes to the subject. Here is the podcasts I was referencing. 

Trying to get the stomach to listen. What does Auburn get in return? I'm ready for the PTB to sell us on the benefit of their doing nothing, requiring nothing, us expecting nothing. They cannot imagine the ripple effect.

6 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Trying to get the stomach to listen. What does Auburn get in return? I'm ready for the PTB to sell us on the benefit of their doing nothing, requiring nothing, us expecting nothing. They cannot imagine the ripple effect.

Yep.. it is crazy.. I am hoping they (PTB) are just waiting for the iron bowl to be over... but then again we have been here before and we are still settling for the same ole same ole.

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Not sure what ripple effect you are talking about...but I expect many of the PTB know that the odds favor a worse performance next year with a new coach than with Gus...though maybe fans will be willing to wait out a couple years while the new coach "gets his own players.".....which is code for .."Damn, this job is harder than I expected it to be". ..

I've basically come around to the point that a coaching change is worth doing if for no other reason than to get the bickering put on hold for a while.....well, put on hold unless the hire is underwhelming, etc. etc. as someone noted earlier.  JMO but I don't see Greene putting his job on the line with a new football HC....which would be totally on him since JG will likely abstain from the process. 

JMO but we are in a real... th?id=OIP.bWrO8x4DpJ37wlcrvmIRfQHaCj&pid

Let's start a GoFundMe page to raise the $27MM for Gus' buyout and everybody contribute using their screen names from AUFamily.com

That way we can see who's puttin' their money where their mouth is!! 

Archived