Why Gus is going to be fired.

ToomersStreet

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Josh Pate had a good point from his podcast about Gus and the Arkansas deal and just Gus in general. He thinks that Gus will be here next year. He recently changed his mind. He thinks that AU will damage it's brand by firing a coach that won 9 or 10 against this season and only losses came by way of 3  or 4 top 10 teams. He thinks that will scare some candidates away and I agree, however an elite coach should be able to see the why and understand that we want a winner.

HE thinks if Gus does get fired, he shouldn't go to Arkansas. He said he definitely shouldn't go on his own accord either. Reason being...Gus has stated mulitple times over the years he wants to win Championships. If he can't do that at Auburn, he surely isn't going to at Arkansas. He said it would be wise for Gus to use the Gruden technique and go into broadcasting for a couple of years to build his brand back up then he would get a big time offer somewhere.....and collect on his 26 mil while doing so.

He also brought up a scenario of PTB sitting Gus down and saying we are going to keep you but you have to make these changes....HE said if that happens Gus should just say No. He said he thinks Gus believes he has already made the changes necessary to win by naming himself play caller. He thinks that he just had an unproven FR QB and extremely hard schedule but the future is there for championships. I could see Gus thinking this way. 

Josh does a great job bringing multiple takes to the subject. Here is the podcasts I was referencing. 

*video*

Yeah.  We're screwed. 

We've got a savant with an iron-clad contract who knows Auburn is his last stop at a school capable of reaching the Championship game thinking he's going to get there with a peewee offense and no offensive line.   And we won't be doing s*** about it for at least another year, probably more.     

I hate every fool who supported or signed that contract extension.  It forces us to sit idly by as bama, uga and the corndogs take turns making runs at National Championships.  

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest that I have read is that Arky isn't interested in Gus.  They want Norvell but he is more interested in FSU.  I wonder if AU was open would he be more interested in us than the other 2.  I think he has the drive of Saban and would be a great coach here.  He needs a good defense which if he kept the D staff he would have.

1 minute ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Latest that I have read is that Arky isn't interested in Gus.  They want Norvell but he is more interested in FSU.  I wonder if AU was open would he be more interested in us than the other 2.  I think he has the drive of Saban and would be a great coach here.  He needs a good defense which if he kept the D staff he would have.

Just dont know about a guy that his only power 5 job was OC at Arizona St. for a few years. Also never been a HC of a power 5 team. I'd just rather someone with a little more experience in big time football. JMO. 

2 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Let's take the pain to the next level.

Hugh Freeze to Arky and he beats us his first year.   

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's not unfortunately. Let's just hope he gets weeded out eventually before we go in a bad talespin.

Talk about an apathetic fanbase. The most excitement on this board the past few years has been when it looked like Gus was out. At least Chiz flamed out fast, Gus is a slow death by a thousand mind-numbing cuts.

34 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yeah.  We're screwed. 

We've got a savant with an iron-clad contract who knows Auburn is his last stop at a school capable of reaching the Championship game thinking he's going to get there with a peewee offense and no offensive line.   And we won't be doing s*** about it for at least another year, probably more.     

I hate every fool who supported or signed that contract extension.  It forces us to sit idly by as bama, uga and the corndogs take turns making runs at National Championships.  

Hey buddy. I haven't seen you on here in a while. Did you go on a walkabout for a bit or did we just miss each other? You were the first poster on here who I learned by there Picture!!!

I agree with everything you said, bud.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Hey buddy. I haven't seen you on here in a while. Did you go on a walkabout for a bit or did we just miss each other? You were the first poster on here who I learned by there Picture!!!

I agree with everything you said, bud.

Not on walkabout.  Work is seasonal and this time of year I'm always chained to my computer.  So I spend time with the AUFamily while waiting for phone calls and data updates.  I've been a pretty active poster over the last few days while hoping for a HC regime change.  Looks like that's not happening now. 

After the bama game I'll probably be moving to the basketball forum until the Malzahn era ends.  Auburn football's just no fun anymore.  It's just one disappointment or embarrassment after another... 

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Not on walkabout.  Work is seasonal and this time of year I'm always chained to my computer.  So I spend time with the AUFamily while waiting for phone calls and data updates.  I've been a pretty active poster over the last few days while hoping for a HC regime change.  Looks like that's not happening now. 

After the bama game I'll probably be moving to the basketball forum until the Malzahn era ends.  Auburn football's just no fun anymore.  It's just one disappointment or embarrassment after another... 

The struggle is real my friend. I have been spending more time in BB forum lately until this talk. Basketball School boys!

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The struggle is real my friend. I have been spending more time in BB forum lately until this talk. Basketball School boys!

The Bruce/Gus combination is creating a new generation of AU basketball fans. What a contrast.

49 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree I like it better, but Josh changed his tune within 24 hours of creating and posting this one!!!!

May he change it back. If I don't keep hoping it's fluid until something is stated from someone with the power to state it, then I'm with all of you on the basketball couch. 😃 And the football couch... not stadium chair...in 2020. Their power may be bigger, but many drops build a torrent...."until justice rolls down like a mighty stream..."

17 hours ago, DAG said:

But are they really satisfying the fanbase by doing that? I feel like it will I rate most of the fans base . I agree with most of your premises however.

1. He stays, then it is almost illogical to argue that money isn’t factor 

2. they keep KS then that is just a lazy hire. It might work out but after all of the names being hired and they go that route? Very suspect. 

3. I have to wonder if it goes down like two how involved really is AD Greene. Based on the things I’ve seen from him, this does not seem like a move he would make. To me it sounds a lot more like placate the movers behind the scene. 

Not total satisfaction, but I feel for the moment it would if a new offensive play-caller was in charge. Would be very short lived though if failed.

If Gus is adamant about staying rather than leaving and cashing in on the buyout or taking another job and possibly double dipping, he runs the risk of having his name and reputation drug through the mud for another year which will possibly hurt him further for future jobs.  I guess he could be thinking (which is delusional and probably what he hoped for this year) that he could catch lightning in a bottle again but the odds are stacked against him.  He is looking sillier ever year when every excuse he can muster for the ineptitude of the offense falls flat.  The culprit becomes clearer and clearer the longer he stays.  It's not former offensive coordinators (sorry Rhett, Chip) fault, it's yours Gus.  Face reality and listen to the majority of the fan base and please leave.

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He thinks that AU will damage it's brand by firing a coach that won 9 or 10 against this season and only losses came by way of 3  or 4 top 10 teams. He thinks that will scare some candidates away

I have a friend with D1 coach connections. According to him we have already done that years ago.

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

UAB's QB was out that game.  But I am all for the crap shoot

So what your saying is that Bill Clark did not have a back up that was developed and able to fully run the offense well enough to put any points on the board?

Isn't that something we are trying to move away from.

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I have a friend with D1 coach connections. According to him we have already done that years ago.

We're doomed then. I guess Auburn and Gus must remain conjoined for eternity. Because, oh bless our hearts, no one wants either of us.

Do we realize how pathetic this sounds? Too many posts paraphrase just that.

We will be standing when this season is over, not by our fault, but by our strength. 

susan-bryant-quote-the-prevailing-opinion-is-we-will-prevail-its-just.jpg

30 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So D1 coaches are not interested in a school that they can recruit top 10 talent to, compete for national championships like the past 5 coaches have over the last 40 years, and will be compensated potentially within the top 10 highest paid coaches in FBS if they are good at their job? If a D1 coach is not interested in that job because they are concerned about having to play strong opponents every year, then they probably are not a coach that would be on our list of candidates anyway. If they are afraid of competition then why are they in coaching in the first place. I don't get it.

18 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

We're doomed then. I guess Auburn and Gus must remain conjoined for eternity. Because, oh bless our hearts, no one wants either of us.

Do we realize how pathetic this sounds? Too many posts paraphrase just that.

We will be standing when this season is over, not by our fault, but by our strength. 

susan-bryant-quote-the-prevailing-opinion-is-we-will-prevail-its-just.jpg

So who's taking the job that is gonna improve over Gus? or are we to the point that we don't care as long as it is anyone but Gus? That's the catch at the moment, firing Gus is meant to improve the program.

But, discussions have already gone from guys like Cristobal, Stoops, etc to Steele.

Mean honestly, people have been trying to fire him after every game for the last 3 years. It was no secret they were running behind his back last year. They have probably been doing it this year (and if they had been successful he would already be gone probably).

And it isn't all Auburn. You got Saban and Alabama as the main rival, and other coaches are away of the favoritism when it comes to local, conference, and national levels with them.

It is no secret given all the factors/expectations that many believe Auburn to be the toughest job in college football in America.

LSU ran into similar issues, if not they wouldn't have Orgeron. Guys like Tom Hermann used them also to up contracts with other programs.

8 minutes ago, nurbis said:

So D1 coaches are not interested in a school that they can recruit top 10 talent to, compete for national championships like the past 5 coaches have over the last 40 years, and will be compensated potentially within the top 10 highest paid coaches in FBS if they are good at their job? If a D1 coach is not interested in that job because they are concerned about having to play strong opponents every year, then they probably are not a coach that would be on our list of candidates anyway. If they are afraid of competition then why are they in coaching in the first place. I don't get it.

You do realize that in the last 40 years the times that we competed for the NC that Gus was on both of those teams in some capacity. And I mean when we straight up were playing for it. Not some outside chance, though 04 should of gotten it's shot.

They also want to coach at places were they control their program.

They want to coach at places where boosters are not out after every game talking to people with connections to this sexy coach or that sexy coach.

They want to coach at places where they feel the expectations are realistic.

I don't think Muschamp has ever not competed and, but if you remember in one AU/Bama game he and Gus got flagged for stating all they wanted was a fair game.

These people also have financial and stability responsibilities to families they have to consider. There is quality of life factors also.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

Let's take the pain to the next level.

Hugh Freeze to Arky and he beats us his first year.   

Not in his first year. He'll need at least three years of illegal recruiting to get up to par. https://www.si.com/college/2019/02/12/ole-miss-vacates-wins-ncaa-violations

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I believe it.....I would say that Jetgate started the reputation...and we haven't made a good hire since.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not in his first year. He'll need at least three years of illegal recruiting to get up to par. https://www.si.com/college/2019/02/12/ole-miss-vacates-wins-ncaa-violations

That was years ago.   You don't think he's learned some things since then?  

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So who's taking the job that is gonna improve over Gus? or are we to the point that we don't care as long as it is anyone but Gus? That's the catch at the moment, firing Gus is meant to improve the program.

But, discussions have already gone from guys like Cristobal, Stoops, etc to Steele.

Mean honestly, people have been trying to fire him after every game for the last 3 years. It was no secret they were running behind his back last year. They have probably been doing it this year (and if they had been successful he would already be gone probably).

And it isn't all Auburn. You got Saban and Alabama as the main rival, and other coaches are away of the favoritism when it comes to local, conference, and national levels with them.

It is no secret given all the factors/expectations that many believe Auburn to be the toughest job in college football in America.

LSU ran into similar issues, if not they wouldn't have Orgeron. Guys like Tom Hermann used them also to up contracts with other programs.

Texan, no one. No one is ever coming. No one will ever have a better record than Gus. No one will ever meet our expectations. No one would ever want to come recruit against Saban or any of our SEC rivals. No one could ever handle Auburn's schedule or PTB. Your D1 connecting to a connection is absolutely right. We are positively blessed to be in the situation we're in. At least we're not  Nebraska or Tennessee. Or anyone else that might rise above us due to progressive thinking. And of course, we all know that Auburn City Schools are a terrible place to educate one's children, and the Loveliest Village on the Plains is anything but. The climate stinks too. Because no one but @augolf1716 cares for Robert Trent Jones. 

All dripping in yellow but left in black. Because I'm not nearly as skilled at settling, forgetting, arguing, despondency, or "negative neanderthalling" as others.

Folks, the meme is real. We will prevail. I choose hope.

One thing the Gus saga has taught me is that a healthy portion of our fan base is comfortably resigned to being a second tier SEC program that slips up and wins a big game once or twice a decade. I’d be fine with that if Auburn didn’t overpay so much for the privilege.

6 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

One thing the Gus saga has taught me is that a healthy portion of our fan base is comfortably resigned to being a second tier SEC program that slips up and wins a big game once or twice a decade. I’d be fine with that if Auburn didn’t overpay so much for the privilege.

I wouldn't be fine with it, but I'd feel better about it.   

Top money for second-tier results is so JABA.  But as long as the AUPTB can't stop themselves from making moronic decisions, we are where we're going to be for the foreseeable future.  Time to embrace the horror and pick up a new fall hobby.    

Archived