Why Gus is going to be fired.

ToomersStreet

7 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

We're doomed then. I guess Auburn and Gus must remain conjoined for eternity. Because, oh bless our hearts, no one wants either of us.

Do we realize how pathetic this sounds? Too many posts paraphrase just that.

We will be standing when this season is over, not by our fault, but by our strength. 

susan-bryant-quote-the-prevailing-opinion-is-we-will-prevail-its-just.jpg

Gus is the rock to our Sisyphus.  Or, if you prefer, the eagle to our Prometheus.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Gus is the rock to our Sisyphus.  Or, if you prefer, the eagle to our Prometheus.

I hope he's removed before he becomes the Godzilla to our Tokyo. 

26 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

One thing the Gus saga has taught me is that a healthy portion of our fan base is comfortably resigned to being a second tier SEC program that slips up and wins a big game once or twice a decade. I’d be fine with that if Auburn didn’t overpay so much for the privilege.

I liked this because it's true, but I hate it because it's true. 

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

That was years ago.   You don't think he's learned some things since then?  

Three years ago he was fired for recruiting violations and other unseemly activities. Does a leopard change its spots in three years?

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

One thing the Gus saga has taught me is that a healthy portion of our fan base is comfortably resigned to being a second tier SEC program that slips up and wins a big game once or twice a decade. I’d be fine with that if Auburn didn’t overpay so much for the privilege.

This is so silly.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I liked this because it's true, but I hate it because it's true. 

There's nothing true about it. We all want better results. We disagree about how to get there, but everybody wants better. I think these types of statements are made simply as a back-handed way to disparage those who don't agree with one's idea of how to get to where we all want to go.

A large portion of our fan base wants to jump out of the frying pan without having any regard to the consequences should there be a fire below, and there most likely is going to be a fire if the jump isn't carefully timed and planned. The PTB can't even agree on what to do, let alone agree on a plan of action. Until then, knee jerk reactions are about the worst thing AU can do.

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's nothing true about it. We all want better results. We disagree about how to get there, but everybody wants better. I think these types of statements are made simply as a back-handed way to disparage those who don't agree with one's idea of how to get to where we all want to go.

A large portion of our fan base wants to jump out of the frying pan without having any regard to the consequences should there be a fire below, and there most likely is going to be a fire if the jump isn't carefully timed and planned. The PTB can't even agree on what to do, let alone agree on a plan of action. Until then, knee jerk reactions are about the worst thing AU can do.

While I very much agree with the first bolded statement, I'm trying to understand the second. With all the detailed coaching deficiencies posters have given, and pointing out how long these issues have been going on, I'm curious as to why you label them "knee-jerk" reactions.

If someone gets hit in the knee and it takes them three years to move, that's a whole other problem.

GM is not going to be fired. The AD's comments after the BOT meeting yesterday give me 100% confidence GM will be here next year if he wants to be here. Green didn't give the dreaded AD endorsement of a dead man walking. He praised the coaching staff and the team and pointed out it was the toughest schedule in the country yet they competed every single game. He also said the more he is around the staff and players he realizes what great AU men they are and how well they represent the university. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Until then, knee jerk reactions are about the worst thing AU can do.

If it takes 7 years for the patient's knee to move after a stimulus, I'd pronounce him dead a lot sooner.

If we hang on to Gus for too much longer we will be Tennessee and Nebraska that some are scared changing coaches will turn us into. Standing pat will actually get us there. Keeping Gus is the same as whiffing on a new coach. Except we already know that we're whiffing and just continuing to do so by letting Gus continue to lead the program.

No we may not hit a 4 or 5 win season, but the longer we wallow in 8 win years the deeper we sink. As my bro @GwillMac6 said, the way some of you guys cling to Gus is like how some of Penn State and FSU fans were so reluctant to let go of JoePa and Bowden. Except those guys had legendary careers while Gus' is just mired in mediocrity. Gus is just an average coach, as evidenced by SEVEN years on the job. At least those legends spent decades at their schools with overwhelming success. Some of you are holding on to 3rd, 4th, and last place SEC West finishes LOL!

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

A large portion of our fan base wants to jump out of the frying pan without having any regard to the consequences should there be a fire below, and there most likely is going to be a fire if the jump isn't carefully timed and planned. The PTB can't even agree on what to do, let alone agree on a plan of action. Until then, knee jerk reactions are about the worst thing AU can do

But there is truth to his or her post. We have overpaid for the results we have on the field. There are also some people on here that don't seem to care if Auburn can do better because we've always won at a .660 clip or close to that. I'm not going to say that you don't want better Mikey, I think you do but we disagree about the frying pan. I'm willing to try the unknown and jump and you're willing to sit tight in the heat of the pan. There are some people on here that think Gus is the best we'll ever do. With that line of thinking he will be the best we can ever do. I don't want Gus's best if that's it but I do want Auburn's best and Auburn is not at its best under Gus. 

Greene’s comments tell me that Gus is safe for at least one more year.  IMO Gus’ safety is because of the buyout for him, the buyout for new coaches and because there are a bunch of former AU players who would probably be out of a job if Gus got fired.  

where is the basketball forum located?  On to greener pastures.

4 hours ago, AURealist said:

Time to embrace the horror and pick up a new fall hobby. 

Yeah, I have got to start bow hunting again. The woods in the fall are so much more pleasant than watching Auburn football recently.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Three years ago he was fired for recruiting violations and other unseemly activities. Does a leopard change its spots in three years?

Are you questioning the transformative powers of facilitated diffusion (not to mention endocytosis!) on the coaching mind?  

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

If we hang on to Gus for too much longer we will be Tennessee and Nebraska that some are scared changing coaches will turn us into. Standing pat will actually get us there. Keeping Gus is the same as whiffing on a new coach. Except we already know that we're whiffing and just continuing to do so by letting Gus continue to lead the program.

No we may not hit a 4 or 5 win season, but the longer we wallow in 8 win years the deeper we sink. As my bro @GwillMac6 said, the way some of you guys cling to Gus is like how some of Penn State and FSU fans were so reluctant to let go of JoePa and Bowden. Except those guys had legendary careers while Gus' is just mired in mediocrity. Gus is just an average coach, as evidenced by SEVEN years on the job. At least those legends spent decades at their schools with overwhelming success. Some of you are holding on to 3rd, 4th, and last place SEC West finishes LOL!

rewrew.gif

10 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Texan, no one. No one is ever coming. No one will ever have a better record than Gus. No one will ever meet our expectations. No one would ever want to come recruit against Saban or any of our SEC rivals. No one could ever handle Auburn's schedule or PTB. Your D1 connecting to a connection is absolutely right. We are positively blessed to be in the situation we're in. At least we're not  Nebraska or Tennessee. Or anyone else that might rise above us due to progressive thinking. And of course, we all know that Auburn City Schools are a terrible place to educate one's children, and the Loveliest Village on the Plains is anything but. The climate stinks too. Because no one but @augolf1716 cares for Robert Trent Jones. 

All dripping in yellow but left in black. Because I'm not nearly as skilled at settling, forgetting, arguing, despondency, or "negative neanderthalling" as others.

Folks, the meme is real. We will prevail. I choose hope.

Glad you see that they are right. Probably a reason that Josh Pate mentions that same type of thing in the video of his you don't like.

Well, the Auburn city schools are part of the Alabama public school system which, well below mediocre and has a problem with teachers banging their students, not to mention the increased classroom size that has had a negative impact. This from people that put their kids through the Auburn system.

Giving the amount of snark and sarcasm directed at those with different views instead of having a discussion, well yup Loveliest Village is anything but now.

You also correct we aren't Nebraska or Tenn, they still rank ahead of us in the all time lists. In fact they had to screw up soooo badly for us to even think about catching up.

I can be sarcastic also.

I am good for a change, said so multiple times. But I want a change that improves the program, improves the culture, and doesn't impact the academic side with the stripping of more money or an increase in student fees.

What I am not for is doing a shot for every time Gus ran the ball up the middle, then spinning in a circle for every failed trick play, and throwing a dart at a wall with 100 names on it and saying awesome lets start throwing out millions!

I want the change were we go yes with confidence this is a step in the right direction.I also want it done with financial responsibility. Not a well least it isn't Gus if it doesn't work out we will just toss a few more million at it in a couple years.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not clinging to Gus, just not on board with tossing around millions for the same result. I want a hire that gives me confidence we are moving forward as that is the purpose of making the change.

This thing could go a number of ways.....I do not think at the moment that power base is on the same page enough to fire Gus. If we lose to bammer like we did last season, then maybe Gus will be fired. I doubt he is going to be fired at the end of the season though. I think next season will be the season that ends it for Gus unless he catches on fire and wins a lot of games.

42 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Glad you see that they are right. Probably a reason that Josh Pate mentions that same type of thing in the video of his you don't like.

Well, the Auburn city schools are part of the Alabama public school system which, well below mediocre and has a problem with teachers banging their students, not to mention the increased classroom size that has had a negative impact. This from people that put their kids through the Auburn system.

Giving the amount of snark and sarcasm directed at those with different views instead of having a discussion, well yup Loveliest Village is anything but now.

You also correct we aren't Nebraska or Tenn, they still rank ahead of us in the all time lists. In fact they had to screw up soooo badly for us to even think about catching up.

I can be sarcastic also.

I am good for a change, said so multiple times. But I want a change that improves the program, improves the culture, and doesn't impact the academic side with the stripping of more money or an increase in student fees.

What I am not for is doing a shot for every time Gus ran the ball up the middle, then spinning in a circle for every failed trick play, and throwing a dart at a wall with 100 names on it and saying awesome lets start throwing out millions!

I want the change were we go yes with confidence this is a step in the right direction.I also want it done with financial responsibility. Not a well least it isn't Gus if it doesn't work out we will just toss a few more million at it in a couple years.

Mods, again, where is the WOW! button? Bashing public schools (and so foully) in the same conversation as the ungodly amount of $$$ floating in the world of "athletic entertainment?" 🤮

I do hope everyone in your profession works as hard as you do to make it better. It's been nice, but I need to adjust my account settings.  Downright funny how I mistakenly keep thinking I'm conversing with Bruce Willis.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. ❤🍁🦋

17 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Mods, again, where is the WOW! button? Bashing public schools (and so foully) in the same conversation as the ungodly amount of $$$ floating in the world of "athletic entertainment?" 🤮

I do hope everyone in your profession works as hard as you do to make it better. It's been nice, but I need to adjust my account settings.  Downright funny how I mistakenly keep thinking I'm conversing with Bruce Willis.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. ❤🍁🦋

He’s a jackass. Ignore him. I guess he’s paying the buyout out of his own pocket. I put him on ignore weeks ago. Obviously I haven’t missed anything.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is so silly.

It is silly. I wish it weren't true!

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

you don’t want better results. Admit it. You don’t. You are perfectly happy at 8-4. 

57 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Mods, again, where is the WOW! button? Bashing public schools (and so foully) ...

Bashing public schools should always be commended. Bashing any public, tax funded drain in productive society is a worthy cause. 

Archived