Women’s Basketball

jared52

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Sounds like Flo threw the team under the bus. 

Exactly. Everyone is at fault but her. That's a leader that no one will follow. She is right about one thing...changes need to be made. 

57 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Sounds like she can't coach evidently. 

I have no respect for a coach that throws their team under the bus. I wish we would move on from her. How would you like to be a player on her team?

She recruited those players, now she's griping because they don't fit her style of play? We've seen years of her style of play. The players look like good individuals that don't have a game plan to follow. We do need a change, but the change we need is the head coach, not the players. Give those kids some solid leadership and direction and the results would be amazing.

My suggestion to those who want to take a few minutes - send an email to Greene at agreene15@auburn.edu

I don't buy the excuse that we are a young team.....we lost 2 seniors, true - but why weren't the underclassmen coached up so they were ready this year?  How is it that she didn't have a point guard ready?  As we have seen - the only plan is defense.  I'd like to know what percentage of lay ups were missed on steals/turn overs since she claims that is her bread and butter.  SEC teams have been watching the press for what, 8 years now.  Guess they know how to break it don't they.

If I were on the team that just got thrown under the bus I would be considering the portal as my next stopping point.  (and I hate the portal)

16 hours ago, jared52 said:

Those are amazing comments coming from her. She definitely is saying these things out of frustration, but still....

But my answer to her would be:

1. Ok, lets say you tried to recruit scorers, and that is not working, so you want to go back to your pressing style.

• Exactly in the 7 prior years did YOUR style of play provide your teams a chance to win the SEC? So far, no higher than a 6th place finish.  Including finishes of 10th, 11th, 13th, 10th, 12th
  • Playing your style the last 7 years how many NCAAs did you make? 3. And how far did you get playing YOUR style of offense? lost in 1st round twice, and 2nd round once. That doesn't sound like much success.
  • What is your record in the SEC playing YOUR offense(last 7 yrs)? 44-62 39%. Is that competitive basketball? No....

So why would we agree with her that she needs this team to go back to the way they were?  I wouldn't.

This sounds so much like Gus talking about HIS offense, and when he did it, it was no better, so now he's trying ANOTHER OC.

For what it’s worth Marcelo says based on conversations he’s had he does not expect Coach Flo to be fired. Said she has support in the athletic department.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth Marcelo says based on conversations he’s had he does not expect Coach Flo to be fired. Said she has support in the athletic department.

There must not be many strong women's basketball boosters to push AG to a better decision.

Again, this has to be about money. It certainly can't be because her record is good enough to give her continued chances.

And the quotes I read from her press conference certainly seem strange:

• first, it showed her not trusting the players she recently recruited,
  • second, that she needs to go back to the way she 'used' to coach with the players she used to recruit to her pressing, turnover style of offense. Her results the way she recruited/played doesn't look any better, if you look at the numbers.

To say, as she said, that teams were scared to play her teams using her 'style' of play in the past, still doesn't seem to result in SEC competitive success. Her best finish is 6th in 8 years.

Maybe after her comments and throwing her players under the bus (Players she recruited that did not fit her style) there maybe some new conversations about letting her go.  It is one thing to not produce but to blame the players is just not good leadership. A good coach adjusts their game plan around their talent.  Coach Flo did not do that.

Bruce takes responsibility rather than blame the players he will say something like I need to do a better job of coaching them up on FT shooting. That way he is pointing out a weakness so players know about it but says it is my job to help them improve. That is real leadership.

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Those are amazing comments coming from her. She definitely is saying these things out of frustration, but still....

1. Ok, lets say you tried to recruit scorers, and that is not working, so you want to go back to your pressing style.

• Exactly in the 7 prior years did YOUR style of play provide your teams a chance to win the SEC? So far, no higher than a 6th place finish.  Including finishes of 10th, 11th, 13th, 10th, 12th
  • Playing your style the last 7 years how many NCAAs did you make? 3. And how far did you get playing YOUR style of offense? lost in 1st round twice, and 2nd round once. That doesn't sound like much success.
  • What is your record in the SEC playing YOUR offense(last 7 yrs)? 44-62 39%. Is that competitive basketball? No....

So why would we agree with her that she needs this team to go back to the way they were?  I wouldn't.

This sounds so much like Gus talking about HIS offense, and when he did it, it was no better, so now he's trying ANOTHER OC.

Steeleagle, I paraphrased your "answers" in my email to AD Greene. Great points and I hope you don't mind that I "borrowed" them.

The young ladies/athletes deserve better.

War Eagle!

On 3/6/2020 at 12:21 PM, steeleagle said:

One key difference.... Gus has won something at Auburn.

I guess she wants to go back to being below average cause that's where her teams usually are ranked. Very poor coach that can't scheme around the team they have. Pathetic 

I guess I’m just confused as to what she’s done to deserve really any support in athletic dept at all. It certainly isn’t from her results on the court. Her record looks similar to the records of some of the men’s coaches from the past that have been run out town. As said above, it almost certainly has to be about money. 

On 3/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, ellitor said:

Sad about the state of Women's Basketball but I kind of get it in the big picture. Not that I think it will but if things were to go south in football this season then there would be another outcry for making a change. Which change would the majority want to take place? Women's Basketball support and fandom pales considerably to football. Can't pay everyone boat loads of money to leave. 

I obviously know little about it but I know how to manage a budget and allocate my money accordingly. 

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I obviously know little about it but I know how to manage a budget and allocate my money accordingly. 

exactly & the way Greene's been pinching pennies it's very possible he's thinking the women's program is going to lose money regardless might as well ride out the buyout & save some money out of it for another year or 2. Our luck she'll finish 6th or 7th in the SEC & make the NCAA as an 8 or 9 seed next season & parlay it into another 2 or 3 year extension.

If Jay Jacobs was allowing Flo to coach another year, this board would be going crazy.  Not sure how long Allen Greene can get a pass by just "not being Jay Jacobs".  

16 minutes ago, im4aual said:

If Jay Jacobs was allowing Flo to coach another year, this board would be going crazy.  Not sure how long Allen Greene can get a pass by just "not being Jay Jacobs".  

He's not getting a pass. Many AU fans have voiced their frustrations.

1 hour ago, im4aual said:

Folks bashed Jay a bunch for sure, myself included at times, but I don’t know how much even JJ would get blistered over this though. Most folks frustrations with him were football related. I’d like to think Greene is getting some push back on this, I hope so anyway. He’s not gonna be able to avoid it whether he wants to or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived