Women’s Basketball

jared52

The ladies have stumbled out of the gate beating Wofford by 2, getting blown out by Old Dominion, and losing tonight on the road at UAB. It’s a young team but they need to grow up quickly. I would have to think Coach Flo is on the hot seat. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, jared52 said:

The ladies have stumbled out of the gate beating Wofford by 2, getting blown out by Old Dominion, and losing tonight on the road at UAB. It’s a young team but they need to grow up quickly. I would have to think Coach Flo is on the hot seat. 

She is like Gus. Does just enough to always keep her job.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:49 PM, jared52 said:

Flo's performance and problems are likely to fly under the radar again this year with all the "gus talk" and the great start by the men's team.  

AG gave Flo a pass last year but not sure it should happen again unless there is some sign of improvement. ….narrow the gap between AU and the top teams in the conference.

I think had Greene not been brand new on the job he'd have let Coach Flo go after last season. Maybe Joe Champi's teams spoiled me, but we can do much, much better in women's BB.

I'm a bit disappointed in what I've seen the first few games as well.   However, we have to remember a few things here.   We have ONE senior on this team (Daisa Alexander).  We have ONE Junior on this team ( Unique Thompson).  The rest of this team are Freshmen and Sophomores, meaning some of these players have played in 3 college games.   The class that came in is a pretty good one on paper, so let's see how they develop as the season progresses.  This team is very young and inexperienced as a group.   The start isn't what any of us that follow the womens game wanted, but let's see how they finish. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

I'm a bit disappointed in what I've seen the first few games as well.   However, we have to remember a few things here.   We have ONE senior on this team (Daisa Alexander).  We have ONE Junior on this team ( Unique Thompson).  The rest of this team are Freshmen and Sophomores, meaning some of these players have played in 3 college games.   The class that came in is a pretty good one on paper, so let's see how they develop as the season progresses.  This team is very young and inexperienced as a group.   The start isn't what any of us that follow the womens game wanted, but let's see how they finish. 

At the risk of sounding like some our football critics....it's the coach's job to build a solid roster and it seems that we have some big gaps now in her 8th year..   Thompson is quite a nice player but can't do it by herself.    I guess Flo does not have the option that men's sports have of bringing in good Juco or transfers to the program.....so it's gonna be tough to build a team just by recruiting.    BUT...hoping the young players come around by the time SEC play starts. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

Flo's performance and problems are likely to fly under the radar again this year with all the "gus talk" and the great start by the men's team.  

AG gave Flo a pass last year but not sure it should happen again unless there is some sign of improvement. ….narrow the gap between AU and the top teams in the conference.

A coaches performance, in this case the Auburn women's basketball coach, will not fly under the radar just b/c of the Gus talk or how the men's basketball team is doing. The AD is going to evaluate her just as he evaluates all coaches he is responsible for. It is wrong to think an AD ignores a problem program just bc of other events going on. 

As what happened last year, Flo may get another year b/c she does have 90% Freshman and Sophomores, as she got a pass last year bc she had brought in her best recruiting class since she got there.

Don't mean to change team's, but the volleyball team didn't win a game in the conference....no Auburn team in any sport should go without winning at least one SEC victory....is it time to look to make a change here????

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

A coaches performance, in this case the Auburn women's basketball coach, will not fly under the radar just b/c of the Gus talk or how the men's basketball team is doing. The AD is going to evaluate her just as he evaluates all coaches he is responsible for. It is wrong to think an AD ignores a problem program just bc of other events going on. 

As what happened last year, Flo may get another year b/c she does have 90% Freshman and Sophomores, as she got a pass last year bc she had brought in her best recruiting class since she got there.

AG might notice but if there is not much flack from the fans there is no need for him to take on the situation.  

Check this site and you will note that NOBODY has paid any attention to the women's team thus far...until a minor comment this week with maybe three or 4 innocuous responses.    If they have problems this year I am just saying that fans and alums will not care and AG will let it slide another year...>JMO....

4 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Don't mean to change team's, but the volleyball team didn't win a game in the conference....no Auburn team in any sport should go without winning at least one SEC victory....is it time to look to make a change here????

Been time for a change there for a couple of years at least.

Could not find the game on TV last night be read the score and looks like a nice win for AU. 66-62...Thompson really shined.... Unfortunately that crap "network" al.com did not carry the score or a description.....only comment about Auburn women's basketbal was  the two players signing into the transfer portal.    Not to belittle the players, but neither has any serious time on the floor and probably wise to look elsewhere. 

BUT ..the team deserved some pub for the game.   Maybe it is the Sports Information Dept. who dropped the ball but someone needs to be doing better...JMO

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/11/24/womens-basketball-auburn-women-hang-on-for-66-62-win-over-st-joseph-s.aspx

11 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

Who?

Abigayle Jackson — who started 12 games in 2017-2018, and freshman Maliya Perry both entered the portal according to a source.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019/11/two-from-auburn-womens-basketball-enter-transfer-portal.html

On 11/26/2019 at 2:16 PM, auburnphan said:

Abigayle Jackson — who started 12 games in 2017-2018, and freshman Maliya Perry both entered the portal according to a source.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019/11/two-from-auburn-womens-basketball-enter-transfer-portal.html

Jacksons time last year really dropped...averaging about 10 minutes per game .....and guess she was looking for an opportunity for more playing time and seems like the new young players were taking her time.  

And it just doesn't get better - Saturday's game - SAD!  From Coach after the game - "We just fouled too much," Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. "That put us in foul trouble. You've got Daisa in foul trouble, Kiyae' in foul trouble. We just put them at the free-throw line way too many times. And then we turned the basketball over. We knew going in, whoever took care of the basketball would win the game. And we didn't."  It's always the girls, never the Coach.  Poor Unique needs help and she isn't getting much. SEC play will get even worse!

40 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

And it just doesn't get better - Saturday's game - SAD!  From Coach after the game - "We just fouled too much," Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. "That put us in foul trouble. You've got Daisa in foul trouble, Kiyae' in foul trouble. We just put them at the free-throw line way too many times. And then we turned the basketball over. We knew going in, whoever took care of the basketball would win the game. And we didn't."  It's always the girls, never the Coach.  Poor Unique needs help and she isn't getting much. SEC play will get even worse!

Sad but true. How do we lose to Middle Tennessee by 73-50? That should be next to impossible. Then by 80-65 to TCU, these scores on an AU team that is allegedly built on defense. Sad indeed.

Watched the first few minutes of UConn vs Notre Dame game today played at UConn. Place was packed like you would expect at AU vs Bama men's BB game. Seems we need an upgrade or will lose what little fan support we currently have for women's BB.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across AU financials for the 2017-2018 FY ending June2018.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/Breaking-down-Auburns-1476-million-in-operating-revenue-128729307/#128729307_9

Since I mostly follow softball and go to some of the games I was interested to compare some of the financials of SB as compared to WBB.   I rounded off some of the values but basically SB had total operating revenue of $374,917 compared to WBB $254,130.  Total operating expenses were $3,014,938 for SB and $4,362,022 for WBB.  A large part of the expenses was in coaching salaries indicating SB HC $524K (I wonder if this also included assistants since they did not get listed under the assistants category and when Coach Dean was hired is package was said to be valued in the $250K range)  The  WBB HC package was valued at $724K, 3 assistants $647K and support staff $460.5K.  Support staff for SB was $134K.  So looking at the total operating revenue divided by  total operating expenses for SB 12.4% and WBB 5.8%.  Clearly both sports cost a lot more than they produce, WBB produces only 5.8% of the expenses the program requires.  Operating Revenue may no represent a fair comparison since there are more SB games than WBB games but those are the figures we have to work with.  I really don't have a conclusion to draw from all of this.  Likely demonstrates the financial truth about most of the women's sports (which I support) in general.  

I've been a fan/follower of AU women's basketball since before Coach Joe Champi was hired. Three national finals and many other successful seasons show that it can be done at AU. The crowds were seldom sellouts but there were some very good numbers in the stands. Where we are today is not where we can and should be. I don't pretend to know why Allen Greene extended Coach Flo's contract after last season, but if winning games is a goal then that extension was a mistake.

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've been a fan/follower of AU women's basketball since before Coach Joe Champi was hired. Three national finals and many other successful seasons show that it can be done at AU. The crowds were seldom sellouts but there were some very good numbers in the stands. Where we are today is not where we can and should be. I don't pretend to know why Allen Greene extended Coach Flo's contract after last season, but if winning games is a goal then that extension was a mistake.

I think we all know why Coach Flo was extended. She had just signed a top tier recruiting class, and according to Greene (and don't forget Leath also was here then),  she had built a foundation, w/ a couple of NCAA appearances. He did say she needed to build on that foundation, so I felt he was telling her I'll give you a chance to be better.

The key will be will they get better w/ all those freshman and sophomores. If not, then we will see. She still has 3 years left on her contract after this year, so I don't see Greene doing anything this year, if she doesn't improve.

I look to next year as the key year for Coach Flo. My personal opinion is she is an average coach, that doesn't do a very good job from an offensive standpoint. 

Archived