Women’s Basketball

jared52

45 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I can tell you she will be here next year unless some weird thing happens. So talk your ear off about getting rid of Flo and who's at fault.

Lets just hope football is played this coming season.

Well, we got nothing better to do. Might as well hit all sport programs with our opinions. 

and I don’t believe for a second Leath micromanaged a women’s basketball program. Football? Ofc, but logical thinking says Greene reviewed and recommended Flo’s extension, and Leath went with his AD’s call. 

Now 2 years later, the results are terrible, players are leaving in masses, and as AD, he’s going to give her a vote of confidence? 

looks really bad.
Now we can go back to worrying about fall football. 😉

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Well, we got nothing better to do. Might as well hit all sport programs with our opinions. 

and I don’t believe for a second Leath micromanaged a women’s basketball program. Football? Ofc, but logical thinking says Greene reviewed and recommended Flo’s extension, and Leath went with his AD’s call. 

Now 2 years later, the results are terrible, players are leaving in masses, and as AD, he’s going to give her a vote of confidence? 

looks really bad.
Now we can go back to worrying about fall football. 😉

Oh talk about it all you want cause there's nothing else going on

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I can tell you she will be here next year unless some weird thing happens. So talk your ear off about getting rid of Flo and who's at fault.

Lets just hope football is played this coming season.

Maybe she will be here another season. If so, it will be the result of bungling by people who were in a position to prevent her return. We fans can just spend a season paying slight attention to Women's Basketball, but I hate it for the players. Auburn students deserve better.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Maybe she will be here another season. If so, it will be the result of bungling by people who were in a position to prevent her return. We fans can just spend a season paying slight attention to Women's Basketball, but I hate it for the players. Auburn students deserve better.

Sadly I believe you are correct. Based on Performance and lack of Leadership when she threw her players under the Bus (Reason they are all leaving) she should be gone.  I think money is only reason she will stay they don't want to pay her buyout. I think Greene is looking at budget and cutting where he can so he can spend money where he thinks it will be needed in the future. Under Greene I don't think you will see a lot of coaches fired and Auburn on the hook to pay them when they are no longer coaching. I think he wants to run a tight ship when it comes to the financial side of the house.  I actually like the idea of having better control of the financial side. His mistake was in giving Flo the contract extension in the first place based on one good recruiting class and not based on performance on the Court.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Sadly I believe you are correct. Based on Performance and lack of Leadership when she threw her players under the Bus (Reason they are all leaving) she should be gone.  I think money is only reason she will stay they don't want to pay her buyout. I think Greene is looking at budget and cutting where he can so he can spend money where he thinks it will be needed in the future. Under Greene I don't think you will see a lot of coaches fired and Auburn on the hook to pay them when they are no longer coaching. I think he wants to run a tight ship when it comes to the financial side of the house.  I actually like the idea of having better control of the financial side. His mistake was in giving Flo the contract extension in the first place based on one good recruiting class and not based on performance on the Court.

I Agree with everything you are saying but 1 point regarding the contract extension. He did give her that extension based also on the facts that she had just gone to the NCAAs and had a 20+ win season. He also indicated that she needed some help in areas she did not receive in the past, so he felt that would help her going forward too.

The problem is her record prior to that one good year, were ok to below average years. I think her coaching resume shows she is only able to produce average to below average success in the SEC, even in a good year here and there.

It is sad that the athletic budget will now take a hit because of all the spring program cancellations. And now the AD has a good reason to keep the women's basketball coach and not pay the buyout money. (although I think he was going to keep her anyway bc he still wants to tighten the AD budget).

10 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree with everything you are saying but 1 point regarding the contract extension. He did give her that extension based also on the facts that she had just gone to the NCAAs and had a 20+ win season. He also indicated that she needed some help in areas she did not receive in the past, so he felt that would help her going forward too.

The problem is her record prior to that one good year, were ok to below average years. I think her coaching resume shows she is only able to produce average to below average success in the SEC, even in a good year here and there.

It is sad that the athletic budget will now take a hit because of all the spring program cancellations. And now the AD has a good reason to keep the women's basketball coach and not pay the buyout money. (although I think he was going to keep her anyway bc he still wants to tighten the AD budget).

Thing is, prior to her “one good year”, she was already 35-61 in SEC play and even in her most successful year she was only 9-7 and got knocked out in the first rd of the NCAA tourney. She has never had anything better than a 6th place finish for us which is a really, really bad stat- Heck, she’s like 35 games below .500 at this point. It’s just astounding to me how she even got an extension and gets to keep it at this point. The whole thing just doesn’t smell right. 

From Mark Murphy.Take it as you will...

I have said it before and will say it again, I have been told by people who would definitely know that Steven Leath ordered the athletic director to extend Coach Flo's contract.

Also answering a question from @steeleagle a week or 2 ago MM says some players have left on their own & on others Flo made clear to them she didn't want them back.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:11 AM, ellitor said:

Also answering a question from @steeleagle a week or 2 ago MM says some players have left on their own & on others Flo made clear to them she didn't want them back.

It doesn't really matter when you lose 3 out of 4 of last years class and one in this years class as the team is decimated now and little hope other than transfer portal. What player would want to transfer to a school where coach throws her players under the bus. Because of money Flo will be here at least one more year and it may be her worst year yet.   

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It doesn't really matter when you lose 3 out of 4 of last years class and one in this years class as the team is decimated now and little hope other than transfer portal. What player would want to transfer to a school where coach throws her players under the bus. Because of money Flo will be here at least one more year and it may be her worst year yet.   

I know. It seems ridiculous(if money is the only issue) to wait until she has ANOTHER terrible year to let her go, based on losing so many of her current roster. For those staying on her team, I feel really bad for what they may have to go through for another year. Doesn't seem fair to them at all.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It doesn't really matter

I know but the guy asked a question and I saw an answer to it so I posted it for him.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

lose 3 out of 4 of last years class and one in this years class

Sorry to be anal but it was two years ago class (2018) and last year’s class (2019) respectively. This year’s class is the 2020 class and if we sign anybody there hasn’t been any public notification of it.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I know. It seems ridiculous(if money is the only issue) to wait until she has ANOTHER terrible year to let her go, based on losing so many of her current roster. For those staying on her team, I feel really bad for what they may have to go through for another year. Doesn't seem fair to them at all.

There’s no reason to make a move now. There’s a $1.8 million buyout which is already been alluded to plus we have the coronavirus going around which has stopped nearly everything sports wise besides the NFL. College athletic economies are going to hurt. We need to get through this pandemic and see where our finances are  before making a move on Flo and then trying to get a quality coach.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know but the guy asked a question and I saw an answer to it so I posted it for him.

Sorry to be anal but it was two years ago class (2018) and last year’s class (2019) respectively. This year’s class is the 2020 class and if we sign anybody there hasn’t been any public notification of it.

Never worry about being anal with me. If I said something incorrect it needs correcting. I know you were just answering the question my it doesn't matter comment was more to why even ask the question the damage is done.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There’s no reason to make a move now. There’s a $1.8 million buyout which is already been alluded to plus we have the coronavirus going around which has stopped nearly everything sports wise besides the NFL. College athletic economies are going to hurt. We need to get through this pandemic and see where our finances are  before making a move on Flo and then trying to get a quality coach.

Before the pandemic I wanted her gone, I realize this changes everything one because pandemic is more important than who our woman's basketball coach is and two because it has and will have for a while an impact on the finances of the Auburn Athletic department. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yeah, What's the deal with this?  Are we not going to sign anybody at all in this class?  If so, that's incredibly stupid and foolish., or nobody wants to play for her.  Roster is already decimated with transfers and next year is going to be worse than this past season from the looks of things. 

15 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Yeah, What's the deal with this?  Are we not going to sign anybody at all in this class?  If so, that's incredibly stupid and foolish., or nobody wants to play for her.  Roster is already decimated with transfers and next year is going to be worse than this past season from the looks of things. 

It's looking more and more like the program has already crashed and burned and nobody is willing to do anything about it. Good players leaving in droves, no signees coming in....

In the overall picture of Athletic Department finances, $1.8 million is chump change. The embarrassment of fielding a team that can't compete will cost more than the buyout.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's looking more and more like the program has already crashed and burned and nobody is willing to do anything about it. Good players leaving in droves, no signees coming in....

In the overall picture of Athletic Department finances, $1.8 million is chump change. The embarrassment of fielding a team that can't compete will cost more than the buyout.

Agree on everything but I can tell you 1.8 million want be chump change if football is not played this coming season. AU is already down 2% to 4% because of less money from the NCAA Basketball payout. This could get real ughy praying that it don't.

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

1.8 million want be chump change if football is not played this coming season.

Very true, but the Athletic Department was gagging over the buyout before the NCAA tournament was canceled and there was any idea that 2020 football might not happen. But, I'll give them that the situation with this team didn't appear to be as dire six weeks ago as it does now.

Note:  Auburn actually got a commitment from a player this week.  JUCO Keya Patton 5'6" guard

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Note:  Auburn actually signed a player this week.  Keya Patton 5'6" guard

So with all the transfers, Coach is having to bring in college player transfers now at small colleges to fill the void and can play inmediately? 

I assume she did not have any signees yet for 20-21? 

It is going to be a very interesting roster, and it seems very impossible to have a complete roster this fall when you have to replace 8 players by Fall/2020. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Auburn actually signed a player this week.

Committed, not signed yet. No recruits in any sport can sign til the NCAA lifts its current restrictions due to the pandemic.

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So with all the transfers, Coach is having to bring in college player transfers now at small colleges to fill the void and can play inmediately? 

It's actually a juco.

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I assume she did not have any signees yet for 20-21?

This is still the 19-20 class. 20-21 recruits don't sign til this November & next April.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who did we lose now?

23 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Who did we lose now?

I do not even know. I have not seen any Auburn sites say yet. Not suprised if true though... smh. Further in to the abyss.

Archived