Women’s Basketball

jared52

The team is currently 5-5, with one of those losses being to Middle Tennessee State by 73-50. It's probably not going to be pretty when we start playing other major college teams. There's not a team among those ten opponents that is known as a basketball power. TCU (65-80 loss) was the only P-5 opponent.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, Mikey said:

I've been a fan/follower of AU women's basketball since before Coach Joe Champi was hired. Three national finals and many other successful seasons show that it can be done at AU. The crowds were seldom sellouts but there were some very good numbers in the stands. Where we are today is not where we can and should be. I don't pretend to know why Allen Greene extended Coach Flo's contract after last season, but if winning games is a goal then that extension was a mistake.

It wasn't extended after last season, it was extended BEFORE last season in June 2018.  This program is definitely not where it should be and I know this year will not be very good.  But, I'm watching the games anyway and hoping to see some player development over the course of the season.   Remember, we have ONE senior and ONE junior on this team.  It's very young and inexperienced.  I highly doubt a move will be made after the season.   What we need to see is 2020-21 and see if these players stick with the program and if they do, do they improve and develop.  If that happens, we could be looking at pretty good seasons coming up.

33 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

It wasn't extended after last season, it was extended BEFORE last season in June 2018.  This program is definitely not where it should be and I know this year will not be very good.  But, I'm watching the games anyway and hoping to see some player development over the course of the season.   Remember, we have ONE senior and ONE junior on this team.  It's very young and inexperienced.  I highly doubt a move will be made after the season.   What we need to see is 2020-21 and see if these players stick with the program and if they do, do they improve and develop.  If that happens, we could be looking at pretty good seasons coming up.

I agree in your early comments, and I stated too in a prior post. But where I disagree, is with the premise that we could see 'pretty good' seasons coming up. If you look at CFJ's record at AU she has not been able to consistently have 'good' seasons, much less seasons that we want to compete for championships. 

Even if she has a good season next year....i don't expect to see anything better than that. And that is not the standard Auburn athletics should be built on....

Down 26-9 at Vandy after one quarter and one of those points came off a pre-tip technical on Vandy for a malfunctioning shot clock. 

Well, between the awful homer calling the game, the awful refs calling the game, and the awful play of AU (43-18 Vandy 2:56), I don’t think I’ll be able to stick with this one. Vandy was picked to finish last in the conference. 

11 hours ago, jared52 said:

Well, between the awful homer calling the game, the awful refs calling the game, and the awful play of AU (43-18 Vandy 2:56), I don’t think I’ll be able to stick with this one. Vandy was picked to finish last in the conference. 

Sorry to admit I was in much the same boat.  Tuned in during last 5 min. of 1st half which ended 47 - 18.  Saw score this morning ending 77 - 55.   The little I observed was painful to watch.  

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I hate to say it but Flo has to go. 

I agree and stated that after the 2018 season.  I know they extended the contract due to the recruiting class she was bringing in but I think a couple of those left the program already.  She is in her what 7th or 8th year?  We haven't been competitive since she has been here.  I remember the years we were going head to head with the lady vols and getting to the dance.  I guess I am spoiled but saw some good basketball during those times in both Mens and Womens teams.

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I've been saying she has to go for several years now. Giving her an extension because of a mid-level recruiting class did not make any sense.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've been saying she has to go for several years now. Giving her an extension because of a mid-level recruiting class did not make any sense.

The class wasn’t mid level. It was 12th in the nation. I remember because Flo retweetrd me when I tweeted about it. It’s not a reason for her to get an extension though.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

The class wasn’t mid level. It was 12th in the nation. I remember because Flo retweetrd me when I tweeted about it. It’s not a reason for her to get an extension though.

12th in the nation recruiting is not going to result in won/lost improvement in the SEC. I'd consider it mid-level at best when compared to the teams we have to compete against.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

12th in the nation recruiting is not going to result in won/lost improvement in the SEC. I'd consider it mid-level at best when compared to the teams we have to compete against.

In 2018 12th (ended up 13th) in the nation was better than most classes in the SEC. Only the Vols & Miss St had better classes. The problem is the rest of the roster in that we haven't had high quality classes before or since 2018. Plus the girls we have from that class aren’t being developed so far and one has left.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In 2018 12th (ended up 13th) in the nation was better than most classes in the SEC.Onlt the Vols & Niss St had better classes. The problem is the rest of the roster in that we haven't had high quality classes before or since 2018. Plus the girls we have from that class aren’t being developed so far and one has left.

Spot on. And the one area I always thought that FJ didn't know that well was developing offensive sets and plays consistently. She always relied on her D to get her offense going. ANd the results are inconsistent. 

And with her SEC record and finishing no higher than 6th in 7 years, and won't improve this year..i agree a change is needed.

Does she even have a buyout? I know her contract extension was signed in 2018 so she has what..maybe 3 years left on it?

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

She always relied on her D to get her offense going

TBH many successful men's & women's coaches do that.

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Does she even have a buyout?

No clue & won't matter. Can't be big enough to keep Greene from making a move when he's ready.

Attended the game with Arkansas yesterday.  If the Coaches knew they were a team that shot 3s perhaps we shouldn't play a zone defense that doesn't provide good coverage on the corners.  Ladies worked hard to get back and forth  - I'd like to see our Coaches try to make it work.  There are multiple ways to defend the 3 - Flo has yet to figure that out.  the full court defense is no longer a shock to our opponents and they are breaking it most every time down the floor.  As in previous years, we seem to have no offensive identity.  Ball handling and basic skills of those returning don't appear to be any more developed than last year.  I feel for the players, they are trying to do what they've been asked to do and it isn't working.  It's time for Coach to adjust or be gone.

3 hours ago, warladytigers said:

Attended the game with Arkansas yesterday.  If the Coaches knew they were a team that shot 3s perhaps we shouldn't play a zone defense that doesn't provide good coverage on the corners.  Ladies worked hard to get back and forth  - I'd like to see our Coaches try to make it work.  There are multiple ways to defend the 3 - Flo has yet to figure that out.  the full court defense is no longer a shock to our opponents and they are breaking it most every time down the floor.  As in previous years, we seem to have no offensive identity.  Ball handling and basic skills of those returning don't appear to be any more developed than last year.  I feel for the players, they are trying to do what they've been asked to do and it isn't working.  It's time for Coach to adjust or be gone.

based on her track record now going into her 8th year, she can not adjust. Under 40% SEC record, and only about 55% overall. She has never won more than 9 sec games in a season, and this year seems like it will be more like 2017-18(only 5 sec wins).

The SEC is very strong, and she seems not be able to compete with the best, with her style and her recruits.

obviously, time for a change. No change is enjoyable, but it is necessary.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 AM, Mikey said:

I think had Greene not been brand new on the job he'd have let Coach Flo go after last season. Maybe Joe Champi's teams spoiled me, but we can do much, much better in women's BB.

Nell Fortner’s teams were much better. Clampi’s were epic. This is totally unacceptable.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I hated to say it 5 years ago. I’m ok with it at this point. She should be set with thdd Ed money she has made. If we don’t change, the program will continue to march toward a slow death.

Game Thursday night - hard to watch.  Our opponents are averaging 46.5% to our 41.8% overall and 37.4% to 29.3% on 3s.  They have higher free throw percent and they actually contest our shots.  We are occasionally getting a hand in someones face but not nearly often enough.  Players are passing up open shots - my guess is that the "play" isn't for them to shoot and they don't want pulled for not running the play.   Unique was pulled early Thursday night and only played 28 minutes.  Coach says they haven't bought into defense but she started 3 players from last year - so are they suddenly not playing defense?  The full court press wasn't working - there was no need to keep running it.  Basically - they cannot buy into a defense that doesn't work.  The freshmen are not new to the game - they may be struggling a little with the speed of the game - but they know basketball.  We may well loose the rest of our games as it's going to be hard to break this losing steak based on body language and the lack of positivity I see from Coach on the sidelines.  Sooo sad!

7 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

She needs to be gone today. Today's game is probably the most humiliating loss in program history.

^^This right here. It was only a short time ago we were beating a mess of a bama women’s basketball program like this and the roles have now quickly flipped. 
I would tell her tomorrow morning she’s done, finish the year with Coach Evans as interim, and start looking now for a serious replacement.

Archived