Null



jared52

Women’s Basketball

Recommended Posts

Hate to fire a coach in mid season but seems something is really wrong between coach and team.    Then again, about every time it looks like Flo is a goner, the team steps up and wins a few games to save her.  

BUT enough of this.     I've opined that AG has limited authority over hiring and firing coaches but Women's Basketball should be well within his authority level and he needs to go ahead with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




On 1/3/2020 at 11:55 PM, Mikey said:

I've been saying she has to go for several years now. Giving her an extension because of a mid-level recruiting class did not make any sense.

Again, the extension occured the season BEFORE this recruiting class.  And a # 12 class in the country is NOT a mid level class in any sport. 

That being said, its time for a change.   15 games into the season, 6-9 with absolutely no player development at all.  I was hopeful but its clear its time for a change here and bring somebody here that can put a program together.  Hell, they are doing it at Mississpi State of all hell hole places.  We've done it here in the past and there's no reason why we shouldn't be doing it here now.    I think it's pretty rare to see a head coaching change during the season in basketball, but this would be one of those times where I think we would be better off.  We certainly couldn't be worse.   What this program has become is embarrassing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn and at home.........never thought I would see this happen

Me either. Downright humiliating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hate to fire a coach in mid season but seems something is really wrong between coach and team.    Then again, about every time it looks like Flo is a goner, the team steps up and wins a few games to save her.  

BUT enough of this.     I've opined that AG has limited authority over hiring and firing coaches but Women's Basketball should be well within his authority level and he needs to go ahead with it. 

Same here. I’ve never lobbied for a coach to be fired in the middle of a season, but this is one of those rare cases that absolutely warrants it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent my email to Allen. We simply have to speak up. This is past embarrassing. We could be at least competitive. We are not that. We are getting smacked down. Time to pull the plug on this program. It’s been on life support too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be shocked if Greene lets her go during the season. That is not the way Auburn has ever done it, unless they did something unethical or illegal. She just didn't have this team competitive for some reason. They will wait to see the whole work she has done this year. 

To lose to Alabama at home this bad...and this was Alabama's first SEC win this year. ouch!

Edited by steeleagle
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, steeleagle said:

I will be shocked if Greene lets her go during the season. That is not the way Auburn has ever done it, unless they did something unethical or illegal. She just didn't have this team competitive for some reason. They will wait to see the whole work she has done this year. 

To lose to Alabama at home this bad...and this was Alabama's first SEC win this year. ouch!

Agree, firing someone it season usually requires special circumstances which probably do not exist here. Just my opinion however AG should be making his list and checking it twice. Auburn used to be one of the top programs for women's basketball and has fallen quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, steeleagle said:

I will be shocked if Greene lets her go during the season. That is not the way Auburn has ever done it, unless they did something unethical or illegal. She just didn't have this team competitive for some reason. They will wait to see the whole work she has done this year. 

To lose to Alabama at home this bad...and this was Alabama's first SEC win this year. ouch!

You're probably right but my God it's the world of sports and coaches being dismissed mid-season isn't a completely foreign concept. It happens a fair amount. Why waste time, talent, and development when the ship is already sunk? Maybe an assistant on the team proves their worth but something needs to be done. Auburn is competitive in almost every single sport in which we compete; so a (6-9) record and being absolutely embarrassed at home by Alabama BY NEARLY 30 POINTS. Something has to be done and the sooner the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/2020/01/13/25-0-run-leads-alabama-past-auburn-womens-basketball/4458070002/

Quote

25-0 run leads Alabama past Auburn in women's basketball

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2020/01/02/vanderbilt-womens-basketball-auburn-sec/2774262001/

Quote

Vanderbilt women beat Auburn 77-55 for largest SEC winning margin since 2013

These headlines alone are enough to set off an alarm in even the most casual fan's mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jared52 said:

amicable departure

Not sure it's ever truly amicable lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Zeek said:

Not sure it's ever truly amicable lol

With the amount of money she has been paid and has remaining on her contract, she should have nothing but praise and gratitude for the opportunity.  Eight years and her lowest salary has been $550,000.  She has averaged $600,000.  That is roughly $4.8 million in salary.  Life is grand when a coach can get that kind of compensation for these results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 8:07 AM, AU9377 said:

There is a coach down in your area that would definitely be worth a look... at FGCU

https://fgcuathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/karl-smesko/3736

talk about pulling a name out of no where. 

I wonder why this guy hasn't been gobbled up by a P5 college? Something going on here...

I've been waiting for someone to throw Bill Clark's name in there. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:13 PM, steeleagle said:

talk about pulling a name out of no where. 

I wonder why this guy hasn't been gobbled up by a P5 college? Something going on here...

I've been waiting for someone to throw Bill Clark's name in there. :)

 

True... ha ha.  However, most people in the world of women's college basketball know the name well. He actually turned down the Southern Cal job in 2018. He is paid well at FGCU, but that would still place his salary a couple hundred grand below an offer from a P5 school.  I have no idea why he stays, unless he is just happy with life in Pensacola.  Stranger things have happened.

https://highposthoops.com/2018/11/12/top-thirty-up-and-coming-coaches-you-should-know/3/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

True... ha ha.  However, most people in the world of women's college basketball know the name well. He actually turned down the Southern Cal job in 2018. He is paid well at FGCU, but that would still place his salary a couple hundred grand below an offer from a P5 school.  I have no idea why he stays, unless he is just happy with life in Pensacola.  Stranger things have happened.

https://highposthoops.com/2018/11/12/top-thirty-up-and-coming-coaches-you-should-know/3/

He's nowhere near pensacola.  Florida Gulf Coast is in Fort Myers. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I have no idea why he stays, unless he is just happy with life in Pensacola.

Florida Gulf Coast is way, way down from Pensacola. It's in Southwest Florida at Fort Myers. Life down there may indeed suit him better, it's a fine area that almost never sees even a light frost.

EDIT: oops! I posted this before I saw @WarTiger's post, just above.

Edited by Mikey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WarTiger said:

He's nowhere near pensacola.  Florida Gulf Coast is in Fort Myers. 

My bad...not sure why I thought FGCU was in the pan handle.   Anyway.... the point is the same.  Thanks for the correction. Actually, Fort Myers could be a tough place to leave.

Edited by AU9377

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 5:04 PM, WarTiger said:

He's nowhere near pensacola.  Florida Gulf Coast is in Fort Myers. 

And it has a beach on campus...pretty nice place actually...only a couple hours south of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.