Women’s Basketball

jared52

On 1/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, PigskinPat said:

I would tell her tomorrow morning she’s done, finish the year with Coach Evans as interim, and start looking now for a serious replacement.

And it would be good practice for Greene. For you know...

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 5 point loss on the road to a good team was better than I might have expected but clearly the season has been bottom barrel.   Turnovers really hurt in this game.  Thompson had another double-double.  Good for her for bringing it every night.

25 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

A 5 point loss on the road to a good team was better than I might have expected but clearly the season has been bottom barrel.   Turnovers really hurt in this game.  Thompson had another double-double.  Good for her for bringing it every night.

That seems to be our only constant. Sad she won't get the attention bc of such a bad team. I'm still wondering if these kids just need a new system to show what they can do...

Yeah, we are definitely at a point where close games and moral victories mean something. I too am sad that Thompson’s play won’t be acknowledged as much as similar players due to this team and their lack of success. She is such a talent. 

A coach gets patience when they have produced at some point in time and there is reason to believe that they can get the pieces in place to repeat that success.  The first half of Nell Fortner's Auburn tenure produced elite players and an SEC Championship.  We were also the #2 ranked team in the country for several weeks during the championship season.  This staff has at no point produced any results remotely close to those.

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

A coach gets patience when they have produced at some point in time and there is reason to believe that they can get the pieces in place to repeat that success.  The first half of Nell Fortner's Auburn tenure produced elite players and an SEC Championship.  We were also the #2 ranked team in the country for several weeks during the championship season.  This staff has at no point produced any results remotely close to those.

Agreed. Giving Coach Flo a contract extension based on one good recruiting class (if that was the reason for the extension) was folly. Maybe AD Green was so new on the job that he didn't want to rock the boat? Anyway, something needs to be done. Soon.

We lost to Alabama again. I think that was the first time in like 18 years we lost both games to them, i think.

It's getting worse now for Coach Flo...not sure she is going to get another year at AU....but stranger things have happened in Auburn athletics over the years...

And IMO, (and I hate for any coach to lose their job, but it comes with that job), she should have not been still coach after the 2017-2018 year. Now she is in her 8th year, and still no higher finish in the SEC than 6th...

12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

We lost to Alabama again. I think that was the first time in like 18 years we lost both games to them, i think.

It's getting worse now for Coach Flo...not sure she is going to get another year at AU....but stranger things have happened in Auburn athletics over the years...

And IMO, (and I hate for any coach to lose their job, but it comes with that job), she should have not been still coach after the 2017-2018 year. Now she is in her 8th year, and still no higher finish in the SEC than 6th...

They’re  at least competitive now. Something that couldn’t be said before two weeks ago.

FWIW Mark Murphy would be surprised if Coach Flo is let go after this season because she got a contract extension when Leath was president & her teams have been to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the past 4 seasons. He thinks there likely needs to be 2 back to back losing record seasons to let her go. Not what I wanted to read either. Just passing it along.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Mark Murphy would be surprised if Coach Flo is let go after this season because she got a contract extension when Leath was president & her teams have been to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the past 4 seasons. He thinks there likely needs to be 2 back to back losing record seasons to let her go. Not what I wanted to read either. Just passing it along.

that's just lovely!

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I understand your reporting and who you are getting the info from, but in those 3 years we went, we finished 6th, 7th, 8th in the SEC. That is not SEC competitive to me.

If the goal is to only reach the NCAAs, after this year, 3-out of the last 5 years, then forget replacing her ever. 

If this about a program that will never generate revenue, I wonder what her buyout would be if let go this year? 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder what her buyout would be if let go this year?

If her salary & terms of the contract are still the same as when she got a raise & extension before the 15-16 season then her buyout is $1.8 million this season, going down $600k each following season.

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

If her salary & terms of the contract are still the same as when she got a raise & extension before the 15-16 season then her buyout is $1.8 million this season, going down $600k each following season.

Chump change

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Chump change

For a program that doesn't make money & most of the fan base doesn't care about?

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For a program that doesn't make money & most of the fan base doesn't care about?

Most of the fan base doesn't go to the games, but the vast majority of the fan base doesn't want an AU team that is an embarrassment. They will appear on TV several times a year, like it or not. Something needs to be done and yesterday would have been a couple of years too late.

PS: The players are Auburn students, the university owes them their best chance at success. They aren't getting that chance. They deserve better, all other considerations aside.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Most of the fan base doesn't go to the games, but the vast majority of the fan base doesn't want an AU team that is an embarrassment. They will appear on TV several times a year, like it or not. Something needs to be done and yesterday would have been a couple of years too late.

PS: The players are Auburn students, the university owes them their best chance at success. They aren't getting that chance. They deserve better, all other considerations aside.

I agree. Just not sure it will be seen as justified to pay $1.8 mil to get rid of a coach in a non revenue sport.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agree for the most part but I do believe the fans would show up for a good winning program especially working off the mens teams success

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Agree for the most part but I do believe the fans would show up for a good winning program especially working off the mens teams success

We had sellouts at women's games when we had great teams. Women's BB is not going to generate revenue when a poor product in put on the floor. Men's BB didn't either.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Men's BB didn't either.

Don't know if true but per booster Hooks on ITAT it supposedly did & does.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Agree Mikey and count me as one who wouldn't go to the games either way. I'm glad the sport is there for the women but I have no interest in it myself. I've tried watching it and it's just not exciting basketball to me at all. But for the girls and the fans who do care Auburn needs to address the lack of overall improvement. 

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Back when Auburn had good woman's basketball teams the fans did show up. We actually get a pretty good turnout for Woman's gymnastics. You put a good winning team out there especially with a motivational coach and the fans will come. Is Steve as good as his dad if so try him as Woman's coach ( I am half serious).

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Don't know if true but per booster Hooks on ITAT it supposedly did & does.

Men's basketball didn't have crowds when the program was in the dumps. If it was generating revenue it was TV revenue. I've been to a number of men's games over the years when the tickets sold wouldn't have paid for turning on the lights.

Archived