Women’s Basketball

jared52

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Losing to USCe not a surprise. Hate it was by 26 though. Not surprised is what’s sad. 

I'm surprised that AU kept it that close.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Losing to USCe not a surprise. Hate it was by 26 though. Not surprised is what’s sad. 

It's actually a good loss for them. Id it was the way we played the 1st half of the SEC schedule we would have lost by about 50.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's actually a good loss for them. Id it was the way we played the 1st half of the SEC schedule we would have lost by about 50.

CAD24C28-847D-4D8E-BA2A-C6BB0ACB5781.gif

I watched part of the game against USCe and it is sad how bad we looked.  I have seen HS teams that would have played better against them.  As far as the recruiting class that she brought in, I believe some of them have already left.  So what is the point in keeping a coach around that keeps us mediocre?  Earlier posters are right, when you have a good entertaining product on the floor people would come.  I remember when we were regularly on the national stage that the place was packed when I was in college. 

28 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I watched part of the game against USCe and it is sad how bad we looked.  I have seen HS teams that would have played better against them.  As far as the recruiting class that she brought in, I believe some of them have already left.  So what is the point in keeping a coach around that keeps us mediocre?  Earlier posters are right, when you have a good entertaining product on the floor people would come.  I remember when we were regularly on the national stage that the place was packed when I was in college. 

Agree. It's a shame how far our women's program has fallen since the days of Joe Ciampi. Time for some changes.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, Mikey said:

Most of the fan base doesn't go to the games, but the vast majority of the fan base doesn't want an AU team that is an embarrassment. They will appear on TV several times a year, like it or not. Something needs to be done and yesterday would have been a couple of years too late.

PS: The players are Auburn students, the university owes them their best chance at success. They aren't getting that chance. They deserve better, all other considerations aside.

This is the first year since before Nell that - although I do have season tickets - I've only been to a couple of games.  Watching is painful and I feel bad for the players - they keep tryng to execute a poorly conceived game plan.  Coach can say that "defense is what we are" but the truth of matter is - that is her identity.  Seems to me that a coach who is earning their salary would adjust their game to match that of the players she recruited.  We are wasting the time and talent of our players.   We need a new plan AD Greene!

1 hour ago, warladytigers said:

This is the first year since before Nell that - although I do have season tickets - I've only been to a couple of games.  Watching is painful and I feel bad for the players - they keep tryng to execute a poorly conceived game plan.  Coach can say that "defense is what we are" but the truth of matter is - that is her identity.  Seems to me that a coach who is earning their salary would adjust their game to match that of the players she recruited.  We are wasting the time and talent of our players.   We need a new plan AD Greene!

One of the beat writers seemed to suggest that Greene will give her another year, just b/c her buyout is around 1.6m I think.

I hope that is not the reason. To see her program be so non-competitive and her overall record here to be so average and below, how can the AD give any good reason to keep the current staff? 

He owes it to those players to try something different to get this team more competitive on the floor and more consistently in recruiting. 

We don't have the talent overall to compete with top tier SEC teams.  That is the responsibility of the coach.  When TWF came to Auburn, she had some modest results with players recruited by Nell Fortner.  When Nell's players were gone, our size went with them. We need size inside and at the post.  When you add the talent deficit to a style of play that places the team at a disadvantage, this is what the result is.  Terri's style of play can work well in a non power 5 conference.  You can out hustle teams and win a lot of games.  When you try to do that in the SEC, top tier teams will use their size and speed to force you into making bad shots outside the paint, while making life in the paint miserable.  We get bullied near the basket. 

Coach Ciampi was a great coach, however, some people forget that we have been successful since that time as well.  Nell Fortner built a great team that won the SEC and earned a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I love Nell as a person and as a coach and I give her a lot of credit for making the tough decision to step down and let someone with more energy have a shot.  I just don't think this is what anyone was envisioning when that occurred.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:03 AM, ellitor said:

FWIW Mark Murphy would be surprised if Coach Flo is let go after this season because she got a contract extension when Leath was president & her teams have been to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the past 4 seasons. He thinks there likely needs to be 2 back to back losing record seasons to let her go. Not what I wanted to read either. Just passing it along.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I appreciate you posting the information.  However, Mark Murphy has a habit of posting the obvious and parlaying it as inside info.  That said, that is an assessment that we could all make, given the extension and her support by some inside the athletic department.  When we hired her, we knew that dismissing her would have to be done carefully if that situation came about.  Her family is extremely well connected in AAU basketball.  I'm certain that Bruce has leaned on those connections at times.  They mystery is why those connections have done so little to help her succeed. 

She is a very nice person with a nice family.  She runs a clean program and her players graduate.  However, that isn't enough when you are being paid $650,000/yr.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:30 AM, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I have seen HS teams that would have played better against them.

No you haven't 

I think we are putting a suck product on the floor, but UConn looked like a suck product vs USC. I dont watch this team and Im not arguing their performance in general this year, however

The last couple of minutes against LSU were awful.  Turned the ball over multiple times.  Couldn't even get it across mid-court.  Clear rebounds were fumbled out of bounds. Players picking up their dribble at the wrong times.  Did not look like a well coached team.  AU was up 12-15 points with less than 3 minutes left and had to hang on for dear life.  Those ladies deserve someone that can coach them better than that.

We've seen this before, the typical way one of Flo's teams closes out when they have a big lead late in the game.

1) Foul often, hit 'em hard and frequently so they can score with the clock stopped.

2) Have no plan for combating an aggressive press. Yesterday was near perfect on this point, five straight turnovers, six in seven possessions.

A 15 point lead becomes a squeaker, but normally we lose such games. Congrats to the team for holding on to win.

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We've seen this before, the typical way one of Flo's teams closes out when they have a big lead late in the game.

1) Foul often, hit 'em hard and frequently so they can score with the clock stopped.

2) Have no plan for combating an aggressive press. Yesterday was near perfect on this point, five straight turnovers, six in seven possessions.

A 15 point lead becomes a squeaker, but normally we lose such games. Congrats to the team for holding on to win.

6 TOs in the last 2 minutes at home. Tough ending.

But as always our offense is what keeps us from competing. We are the worst scoring team in the league outside of Ole Miss.

And we are over 200 pts of offense behind just hanging in with the top SEC teams, and 500 pts behind the best teams in our league.

We have to find a coach that can teach a better offensive system.

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

6 TOs in the last 2 minutes at home. Tough ending.

But as always our offense is what keeps us from competing. We are the worst scoring team in the league outside of Ole Miss.

And we are over 200 pts of offense behind just hanging in with the top SEC teams, and 500 pts behind the best teams in our league.

We have to find a coach that can teach a better offensive system.

I have never posted before, but keep up with the women's game around the state. The offense is at Troy (I checked stats first before I posted to not look like an idiot). They are #9 in scoring and have finished in the top 10 for 5 years straight. They also are leading the nation rebounds for the 3rd year in a row. Something like 200 in front of USC. There RPI is 48 which is ahead of most SEC teams. She plays all 14 players every game. Rolls'em in. They play at home Thursday. Might be worth the trip.

22 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

No you haven't 

I think we are putting a suck product on the floor, but UConn looked like a suck product vs USC. I dont watch this team and Im not arguing their performance in general this year, however

since you admitted that you don't watch then please don't say that I haven't seen High School teams that play better than our women's team.  I haven't seen the hustle in this team.  I have seen them take really bad shots....at least with some HS womens teams that I have seen they have that hustle and the ability to take decent looks.  That is what I am saying.  We had a big lead against LSU that almost turned into a loss this weekend.  We couldn't protect the ball down the stretch and almost lost.  There were plenty of time outs called so it isn't like the coach wasn't drawing up plans but they were disorganized so it seemed.  AU deserves better, those women deserve better and this overpaid coach isn't getting it done.  There are plenty of coaches out there that can at least game plan better than I have seen our team.  Sorry if you don't agree but tough.  

3 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

since you admitted that you don't watch then please don't say that I haven't seen High School teams that play better than our women's team.  I haven't seen the hustle in this team.  I have seen them take really bad shots....at least with some HS womens teams that I have seen they have that hustle and the ability to take decent looks.  That is what I am saying.  We had a big lead against LSU that almost turned into a loss this weekend.  We couldn't protect the ball down the stretch and almost lost.  There were plenty of time outs called so it isn't like the coach wasn't drawing up plans but they were disorganized so it seemed.  AU deserves better, those women deserve better and this overpaid coach isn't getting it done.  There are plenty of coaches out there that can at least game plan better than I have seen our team.  Sorry if you don't agree but tough.  

A HS team would lose by 90 to THIS USC team, I could watch zero Auburn sporting events to tell you that. Auburn lost by around the same margin as ranked teams, is this imaginary superb HS team you have in your mind as good as ranked women’s CBB teams? 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A HS team would lose by 90 to THIS USC team, I could watch zero Auburn sporting events to tell you that. Auburn lost by around the same margin as ranked teams, is this imaginary superb HS team you have in your mind as good as ranked women’s CBB teams? 

Dude it isn't about winning or loosing (I guess you don't understand nor care to try and see what I am talking about).  It is about hustle, game planning, executing, coaching and all of the other facets of the game.  This coach needs to go and her contract shouldn't have been renewed.  Maybe if you got out and watched some of the games you would understand but by your own admission you haven't watched.  So since you probably don't watch HS ball then you probably couldn't comprehend my posts about HS teams and prep, coaching, etc....Maybe for you I should have used non-power 5 conference teams to make it easier for you to comprehend....Maybe if you get out and watch some teams no matter what level you may understand when people do compare play to other levels.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:00 PM, steeleagle said:

One of the beat writers seemed to suggest that Greene will give her another year, just b/c her buyout is around 1.6m I think.

@steeleagle Not why the beat writer said he though AD Greene would give her another year. You & I discussed this less than a week ago. It was Mark Murphy & his reasoning was he didn't think Greene would fire her after getting AU to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the past 4 years.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle Not why the beat writer said he though AD Greene would give her another year. You & I discussed this less than a week ago. It was Mark Murphy & his reasoning was he didn't think Greene would fire her after getting AU to the NCAA Tourney 3 of the past 4 years.

Thanks for clarification. It was a followup comment you posted earlier that got me thinking it was Murphy who mentioned it would be hard to fire her with the 1.8 buyout out there in a non-revenue sport.  I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Thanks for clarification. It was a followup comment you posted earlier that got me thinking it was Murphy who mentioned it would be hard to fire her with the 1.8 buyout out there in a non-revenue sport.  I stand corrected.

That was me wondering given AD Greene's penny pinching which has gone all the way down to under staffing security for some events.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That was me wondering given AD Greene's penny pinching which has gone all the way down to under staffing security for some events.

Wait, what

Do I need to go delete *every* post I made in the booze-at-JHS thread???

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

The problem is that she should have never received the first extension, much less the last one.  Auburn season ticket holders have been more than patient and incredibly understanding.  That has been a detriment.  Many season ticket holders were unhappy with the extension.  They are full fledged p***** off at this point.  People have started voicing their disgust and that is only going to get amplified if people in the athletic department pretend that there is no problem.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The problem is that she should have never received the first extension, much less the last one.  Auburn season ticket holders have been more than patient and incredibly understanding.  That has been a detriment.  Many season ticket holders were unhappy with the extension.  They are full fledged p***** off at this point.  People have started voicing their disgust and that is only going to get amplified if people in the athletic department pretend that there is no problem.

It would be interesting to know how many season ticket holders there actually are in Women's BB? 

I could see her first extension. She got us to 2 NITs and our first NCAA since 2009(7 years ago). 

But the second one was bc she got them back to the NCAAs a second time. But now she is showing a tendency of not doing well in the NCAAs and now again falling back out of contention big time in the SEC.

That's a moving on type of resume to me....8 years now w/ minimal success.

Archived