Women’s Basketball

jared52

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Welp the 2021 season is already over.

She must be one of the ‘shooters’ that Coach Flo talked about in her press conference and the problem with her team’s poor results. 
So now she says to go back to her original way of coaching will create more success, right?

sure...geez. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach Flo needs to go in the transfer portal. Her ability to blame her team instead of taking responsibility for the terrible year is indicative of the Barbee days on the men’s side. It was never his fault or inability either

1 hour ago, wde21 said:

According to Plainman Sports Brooke Moore has also entered the transfer portal.

That’s half the great 2018 class gone.

This ticks me off. Crazy we can finally get blue chip recruits, and tell them they stink, and push them out the door

Flo is making it very, very hard to be a fan of AU women's basketball. The kids don't look like they are having a good time, the product on the floor is poor and there's just not a lot to be happy about around the program.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:09 PM, wde21 said:

I have no respect for a coach that throws their team under the bus. I wish we would move on from her. How would you like to be a player on her team?

Two people so far are electing to not be on her team.....and two left last fall. 

14 hours ago, warladytigers said:

Two people so far are electing to not be on her team.....and two left last fall. 

Also, these players who are leaving aren't kids who can't cut it. We are losing talented prospects. It's a very sad situation and it's not going to fix itself.

We have now lost 3 of the 4 from the 2018 class & the big get from the 2019 class...

The Auburn women’s basketball team is set to lose a few of its top players.

Four players from a team that finished the season 11-18 have entered the transfer portal, including three of its top five scorers — Robyn Benton, Brooke Moore and Lauren Hansen.

Backup forward Natalie Kelly also entered the transfer portal.

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have now lost 3 of the 4 from the 2018 class & the big get from the 2019 class...

I remember when AD Greene said Flo needed a lot of additional support to allow her to be successful. That was 2 years ago I think.

DOesn't Coach Flo also need to make sure that she sustains and utilizes that support to make her program successful? With these transfers, the game results, and now her last post-game comments regarding her team, shows she has not lived up to her end of the bargain.

GReene needs to look at that failure and do something. The program is now FAILING even after she was given additional support from the AD.

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

One question. Is it possible these transfers are her telling them they need to leave, or that since she has said she is going back to her original style of playing, they see they will not fit that style and want out?

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

One question. Is it possible these transfers are her telling them they need to leave, or that since she has said she is going back to her original style of playing, they see they will not fit that style and want out?

If so there is so much wrong with that. Why recruit players that don't fit your system and style of play in the first place? She's desperate right now and blaming anyone but herself. If my staff at work doesn't get the job done repeatedly then it's my fault because I made bad hiring decisions. She made bad recruiting and coaching decisions and it falls on her. Recruiting good athletes and misusing them is no different than recruiting lesser talent and expecting them to excel. Flo needs to go. There isn't a big enough band-aid for the bleeding to stop. I hate when coaches don't take responsibility. 

On 247, mark murphy has a thread response to someone that Leath was the one responsible for flo’s extension.

Greene may be simply managing the situation as best he can.  Y’all remember ... someone has to write the check to buy her out.  Who’s gonna write the check to buy out the women’s b-ball coach?

She needs to be gone.  It just may not be simple.  You’ll have to pull the money from somewhere else in the athletic dept budget.  Who are you gonna pull it from?

id bet she is gone within the month but it’ll be painful.  None of our sports should be viewed this poorly.

I know money is an issue but Flo should be canned immediately. I’m guessing if that was gonna happen it would have by now, but the fact still remains. Rarely do I say this about a coach, but she deserves to be let go and done so immediately. 

This program is a complete train wreck right now and its beyond time to make a change.   We are losing talented players because we haven't made a change.  I don't blame any of those ladies for wanting to go.  They certainly aren't going to be developed into better players as long as Flournoy is here.  I had low expectations for next year since the powers that be (to this point) have decided to not make a change, but now those expectations are even lower with all these players leaving the program.   Greene needs to step up here and announce her firing and start a search for a new coach. 

I’m a big fan of Allan Greene, but I can’t understand how you can let three starters transfer and not fire the coach; especially after a terrible season!

I can only hope that Greene is trying to get boosters to pledge money for Flo’s buyout.  The situation with women’s basketball is so bad it is completely embarrassing. 

And Greene will have to deal w a lower budget total and make cuts w all the sports not bringing any revenue during the spring. 

Flo’s buyout would have to come from help from boosters but Greene may need help in more pressing areas of his athletic programs. 

but I feel bad for these players bc, no way now will they be better next year with all these players leaving  

The recruiting classes last year and this year were part of the reason to keep her. Well it's basically gone now, no reason to keep her. 

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

The recruiting classes last year and this year were part of the reason to keep her. Well it's basically gone now, no reason to keep her. 

ANd she is now losing over half her current roster, all but 1 by transfer portal. Something has got to change.

It bothers me a little to also read AD Greene's response to when asked what is happening with the women's basketball program:

“That is a good question. Coach Flo and I have had some conversations as we went down towards the end of the season. Our primary focus has been on dealing with this (coronavirus) crisis so I don’t have a ton of information.”

Asked if he is concerned about the direction of the program with its worst record in 50 years, Greene said, “You know, I don’t think anybody expected us to have the type of season we did this year coming off of NCAA (Tournament) appearances and coming off one of the best records last season.” (from Mark Murphy, 247 Sports).

I don't see how the man in charge can allow this to go on. It's not fair to those players there, and it seems like he is only looking at her resume while he was AD instead of her whole body of work over the last 8 years.

I think he answered those questions ... the season was unexpectedly bad. The transfers were not expected pre season. Coronavirus overrules most everything right now ... particularly a sport at or near the bottom of the pecking order.  He may simply not have time.

not to mention he cleared house we he started and may not have anyone to delegate it to.  Oh, yea plus the buy out price.  Who’s gonna pay it?

With the recent departures I believe it leaves 8 on the roster and I  don’t see any signees for next year. Looks to be plenty of room for graduate transfers. 

Time for Greene to actually start making some decisions. If you're not going to try to win, dont field a team.

Archived