Null



Sign in to follow this  
jared52

Women’s Basketball

Recommended Posts

On 3/20/2020 at 12:11 PM, steeleagle said:

One question. Is it possible these transfers are her telling them they need to leave, or that since she has said she is going back to her original style of playing, they see they will not fit that style and want out?

Since we don’t know both are plausible

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't see how the man in charge can allow this to go on

I’m not saying it’s the right approach but I can see how. He’s a massive penny pincher and thus has $1.8 million reasons to not remove a coach whose program doesn’t add anything positive to athletics finances anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

With the recent departures I believe it leaves 8 on the roster and I  don’t see any signees for next year. Looks to be plenty of room for graduate transfers. 

There will be plenty of roster slots, yes. But who would want to come to AU under the present coaching situation?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I’m not saying it’s the right approach but I can see how. He’s a massive penny pincher and thus has $1.8 million reasons to not remove a coach whose program doesn’t add anything positive to athletics finances anyway.

I’m glad someone had the number (I might have missed it earlier in the thread). Greene’s hands are tied for sure, maybe for a couple of years. Paying this much of a buyout for a non-revenue generating sport is just not financially sound. It’s going to make things really, really tough on the next coach too since it’s very likely AU continues to tank with a lame duck coach for the next 2-3 years. As much as I can appreciate the philosophy of Flo’s program, there probably aren’t many players in HS willing to play that style any more. I don’t know what she told the kids she landed last year, but it’s obvious she sold them a bill of goods and they are responding in kind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I’m glad someone had the number (I might have missed it earlier in the thread). Greene’s hands are tied for sure, maybe for a couple of years. Paying this much of a buyout for a non-revenue generating sport is just not financially sound. It’s going to make things really, really tough on the next coach too since it’s very likely AU continues to tank with a lame duck coach for the next 2-3 years. As much as I can appreciate the philosophy of Flo’s program, there probably aren’t many players in HS willing to play that style any more. I don’t know what she told the kids she landed last year, but it’s obvious she sold them a bill of goods and they are responding in kind. 

It’s crazy bad there’s even a buyout this high for a non-revenue generating sport too if you wanna go with that line of thinking. I know AG isn’t the one responsible for that, but hopefully he has learned from it and will not do it going forward. It’s just a shame to have one set of standards for one sport and not the other based on financial factors alone. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if the financial aspect is truly the reason for her staying, I think it’s quite embarrassing for Coach Flo to stick around knowing that. It’s not a good look knowing you aren’t wanted but still around because there is no other choice at the moment. I know she won’t, but geesh have some pride and head out the door with what dignity you’ve got. I almost feel bad for her. 

Edited by NoALtiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a feeling that she'll be around next year because of the 'virus' situation....a new coach can't go out and recruit, can't be with the current team (whoever is remaining) and would be behind the other programs....I suggest AG put together a list of potential candidates, watch them next season (I'm assuming there will be) and them make the change as quickly as possible...or go ahead and make the change now, this next season is a 'wash' because of transfers and the coronavirus....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s crazy bad there’s even a buyout this high for a non-revenue generating sport too if you wanna go with that line of thinking. I know AG isn’t the one responsible for that, but hopefully he has learned from it and will not do it going forward. It’s just a shame to have one set of standards for one sport and not the other based on financial factors alone. 

Do we know AG was not responsible for the contract? I have heard it was Leath who wanted her extended, but I can't see a President dictating the contract terms on money..and buyout. I can only see the AD working the contract details. 

It's possible this is standard money for women's college basketball, and as a college that has to keep up with it to ensure the 'possibility' of success, we follow the current money and contract standards.

It mostly looks bad when your decision doesn't equal the program's success.

And it really looks bad when a program like this one went to the bottom of the SEC...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

And if the financial aspect is truly the reason for her staying, I think it’s quite embarrassing for Coach Flo to stick around knowing that. It’s not a good look knowing you aren’t wanted but still around because there is no other choice at the moment. I know she won’t, but geesh have some pride and head out the door with what dignity you’ve got. I almost feel bad for her. 

If she'll blame her players for her failures as she did she will have no problem accepting her paycheck for her failures. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Do we know AG was not responsible for the contract? I have heard it was Leath who wanted her extended, but I can't see a President dictating the contract terms on money..and buyout. I can only see the AD working the contract details. 

It's possible this is standard money for women's college basketball, and as a college that has to keep up with it to ensure the 'possibility' of success, we follow the current money and contract standards.

It mostly looks bad when your decision doesn't equal the program's success.

And it really looks bad when a program like this one went to the bottom of the SEC...

Leath is the gift that keeps on giving. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s crazy bad there’s even a buyout this high for a non-revenue generating sport too if you wanna go with that line of thinking. I know AG isn’t the one responsible for that, but hopefully he has learned from it and will not do it going forward. It’s just a shame to have one set of standards for one sport and not the other based on financial factors alone. 

Not sure what else he could do or learn in a sitch like this. The $1.8 mill is simply the $600k yearly salary she has each of the next 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Do we know AG was not responsible for the contract? I have heard it was Leath who wanted her extended, but I can't see a President dictating the contract terms on money..and buyout. I can only see the AD working the contract details. 

@steeleagle Have you forgotten the financial fiasco we are in with Gus? Leath was heavily involved in that so I damn sure can see him driving things in this before he left. Also Mark Murphy reported Leath was responsible for Flo's contract which I believe I have told you before. Mark Murphy is about as a reputable source on things AU athletics from a reporter standpoint as it gets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure what else he could do or learn in a sitch like this. The $1.8 mill is simply the $600k yearly salary she has each of the next 3 years.

Not to ever give a coach who at that point has a losing conference record an extension to begin with? That’s something good to know so that he doesn’t do it in the future. Oh imagine there’s quite a few things to learn from this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greene is the one responsible for her extension, and thus her buyout as well. It's on him, not Leath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mikey said:

Greene is the one responsible for her extension, and thus her buyout as well. It's on him, not Leath.

And You know this & are more connected to AU Athletics than Mark Murphy how???

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, steeleagle said:

Do we know AG was not responsible for the contract? I have heard it was Leath who wanted her extended, but I can't see a President dictating the contract terms on money..and buyout. I can only see the AD working the contract details. 

It's possible this is standard money for women's college basketball, and as a college that has to keep up with it to ensure the 'possibility' of success, we follow the current money and contract standards.

It mostly looks bad when your decision doesn't equal the program's success.

And it really looks bad when a program like this one went to the bottom of the SEC...

I'm not hating on Allen Greene, but it is virtually impossible that the extension was Leath's idea alone.  No way did Leath just come up with the idea of giving out an extension to the WB coach.  It is always easy to blame the guy that is no longer around, even easier when the guy is Steven Leath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, steeleagle said:

I remember when AD Greene said Flo needed a lot of additional support to allow her to be successful. That was 2 years ago I think.

DOesn't Coach Flo also need to make sure that she sustains and utilizes that support to make her program successful? With these transfers, the game results, and now her last post-game comments regarding her team, shows she has not lived up to her end of the bargain.

GReene needs to look at that failure and do something. The program is now FAILING even after she was given additional support from the AD.

She has 12 players, a bag of basketballs, a new gym and unlimited recruiting budget.  What on earth could she need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 5:46 PM, Mike4AU said:

I can only hope that Greene is trying to get boosters to pledge money for Flo’s buyout.  The situation with women’s basketball is so bad it is completely embarrassing. 

That won't happen.  That said, we can afford it.  If nothing else, it balances some numbers out for Title IX.  After all, Title IX is why she makes $600,000 plus in the first place.  That, and our need to pay position coaches a million bucks to coach football. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ellitor said:

And You know this & are more connected to AU Athletics than Mark Murphy how???

Because I pay attention to Auburn athletics. You, yourself, on this very forum, said Greene gave her the extension because of a good recruiting class. Therefore, you are arguing with yourself. I understand that this self quarantine thing is getting to some people, but really? Arguing with your own statement?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because I pay attention to Auburn athletics. You, yourself, on this very forum, said Greene gave her the extension because of a good recruiting class. Therefore, you are arguing with yourself. I understand that this self quarantine thing is getting to some people, but really? Arguing with your own statement?

 

IMG_20200320_163749.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t who exactly said but have mentioned before about the recruiting class and how it helped lead to the extension. It sure wasn’t her losing SEC record that did it. I would imagine that the reality is Greene and Leath were involved. I don’t think it would have gotten done without both men’s approval. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, FUZZYAUFAN said:

With the recent departures I believe it leaves 8 on the roster and I  don’t see any signees for next year. Looks to be plenty of room for graduate transfers. 

Yes - it leaves plenty of room, you are correct but I'm guessing only someone desperate to play would want to join this team.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I don’t who exactly said but have mentioned before about the recruiting class and how it helped lead to the extension. It sure wasn’t her losing SEC record that did it. I would imagine that the reality is Greene and Leath were involved. I don’t think it would have gotten done without both men’s approval. 

I don't think the president of the university pays much attention to the recruiting ranking of women's basketball. If some posts in this thread are to be believed, then the recruiting class was the reason for the extension and there's only one person, Greene, who would have pushed for the extension based on that. Maybe Leath had to rubber stamp it, but that would be the extent of his involvement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I can tell you she will be here next year unless some weird thing happens. So talk your ear off about getting rid of Flo and who's at fault.

Lets just hope football is played this coming season.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this