Phillip Marshall Article

twilli13

9 minutes ago, lala said:

I agree, the problem is obviously the fear of the unknown.  This year we are not beating our big 3 (4) but we’re close...   

If Gus would have been able to recruit on the O side (like we have on the D) we’d be splitting these games with the top 3 (4).    So the thought is fix that and we can win.  

Is Gus evolving easier than starting over?     

He's had 7 years. In those 7 years, we have recruited well on offense. Developed? Not so much. Again though, that is on Gus. Offense is Gus' bread and butter and the reason he was hired in the first place. Why are we having issues on offense? Because he is stubborn and hasn't shown the ability to adapt and evolve his offense. So, the fix shouldn't be wait longer. 

Also, we wouldn't be starting over. Gus has laid a very solid foundation. We are in a much better place now than when Gus took over. Just like UGA was after Richt and LSU was after Miles. We are poised to take the next step. However, Gus has proven that he is more inclined to trip than take the next step forward.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Weather the storm. We could easily be in a worse situation.

I'm sorry, that is such a Beta statement. Why strive for better, right? Why risk it when we can settle for our safe, mediocre place in the West. I honestly don't understand that thinking. If your not moving forward and your opponents are, then you are just relegating yourself to irrelevance...but we're safe.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's had 7 years. In those 7 years, we have recruited well on offense. Developed? Not so much. Again though, that is on Gus. Offense is Gus' bread and butter and the reason he was hired in the first place. Why are we having issues on offense? Because he is stubborn and hasn't shown the ability to adapt and evolve his offense. So, the fix shouldn't be wait longer. 

Also, we wouldn't be starting over. Gus has laid a very solid foundation. We are in a much better place now than when Gus took over. Just like UGA was after Richt and LSU was after Miles. We are poised to take the next step. However, Gus has proven that he is more inclined to trip than take the next step forward.

We aren’t doing well on offense because we have a Sun Belt caliber oline and no we haven’t consistently recruited well on the oline. Heck there’s been years idt we even landed an oline recruit. No offense will be successful without a good oline. Our oline plays two hand touch with the exception of Tega. Their pass blocking is decent but we try to be a run-play action team. Gus isn’t ready to convert us to more passing (if he could) because he’s not trusting a true freshman. It shouldn’t all be on him anyway, we just haven’t helped out with running the ball in the big games. Our oline gets dominated, then rely on a freshman qb, not gunna work.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

We aren’t doing well on offense because we have a Sun Belt caliber oline and no we haven’t consistently recruited well on the oline. Heck there’s been years idt we even landed an oline recruit. No offense will be successful without a good oline. Our oline plays two hand touch with the exception of Tega. Their pass blocking is decent but we try to be a run-play action team. Gus isn’t ready to convert us to more passing (if he could) because he’s not trusting a true freshman. It shouldn’t all be on him anyway, we just haven’t helped out with running the ball in the big games. Our oline gets dominated, then rely on a freshman qb, not gunna work.

And who is responsible for that and how many years has it been talked about with zero change to the approach or coaching. 

36 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Weather the storm. We could easily be in a worse situation. The Mississippi programs are back in the dumps. Luke is doing a heck of a job holding that disaster, he was left with, together. I’m sure they’ll fire him because the average fans won’t understand the full scope of the job. Now Moorehead needs to be fired. I feel certain Gus in the ACC would easily have 10 win seasons. The Auburn job is not an easy one, I believe it’s the most difficult to meet fan expectations. Just being rational. I think we would be truly gambling on any other coach. Gus wins just 1 of those games this year and the fan outlook would be different. Next year is setting up as a disaster for ole Gus, I doubt he’ll make it. My big issue with him is oline recruiting. He gets a F. It will likely cost him his job next year when the zit pops.

I'm tried of weathering the storm so now lets just keep him and wait till next year?????? No thank you I've seen enought...... if little old Clemson can do right up I85 why can't we. 

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's had 7 years.

Not all of those years were problems with the offense. Several of those years the offense was setting Auburn's all time records and the fans were lamenting the fact that if we only had a defense we'd be undefeated.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And who is responsible for that and how many years has it been talked about with zero change to the approach or coaching. 

It always always rests on the head coach. I’ve gripped about the oline recruiting since he’s been here. We get the scraps. None of our guys would start for Georgia, Bama, or LSU, maybe Tega. Most wouldn’t make the 2 deep.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree, not denying that.  I do believe that is the underlying excuse for not making a change 

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm tried of weathering the storm so now lets just keep him and wait till next year?????? No thank you I've seen enought...... if little old Clemson can do right up I85 why can't we. 

Clemson wouldn’t be doing it if they were in the SEC and played Auburn’s schedule. Give your team some credit. But yeah Gus will likely be gone soon I just hope we can find the right guy.

If we could fire Saban and Kirby we’d be doing much better.

10 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Clemson wouldn’t be doing it if they were in the SEC and played Auburn’s schedule. Give your team some credit. But yeah Gus will likely be gone soon I just hope we can find the right guy.

Alrighty edit.....you left out Mullins and Orgeron

16 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

How many more SEC teams does Clemson have to beat on the national stage for folks to realize they'd be in Atlanta regularly?

If the bar is set higher by others you don't wait for it to lower, you figure out a way to get there. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not all of those years were problems with the offense. Several of those years the offense was setting Auburn's all time records and the fans were lamenting the fact that if we only had a defense we'd be undefeated.

So then why is the offense struggling so much in the last 5 years? What happened to those first 2 years of offensive success? Where did it go? He’s the offensive guy. I’d think that in 5 years of running the program himself, he’d have the ability to recruit and develop the players to run his system and have more than just 1 additional decent year of offense in 2017.

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

How many more SEC teams does Clemson have to be beat on the national stage for folks to realize they'd be in Atlanta regularly?

This. Clemson year in year out has a top 3 most talented roster top to bottom in football with Ohio State and bama. The schedule isn't a problem for bama nor would it be with Clemson.

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

if Gus was in the ACC he’d be undefeated and y’all be wanting to hire him. If Dabo was in coaching at Auburn with our schedule he’d do about the same as Gus.

Gus Fans treat this statement as fact over and over.
Dabo has his team playing their best when games matter the most. Gus wilts when the lights are brightest(including several games against Clemson).
Why would any reasonable person expect those 2 things would change if the coaches switched conferences? 

9 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Saban and Kirby don’t coach MSU, LSU, or (insert random loss here) team. 

You say our schedule is so much more difficult now. I’m not denying that UGA and UAT are really strong and if it was only them we were losing to, no one would be having this conversation. To have a 2-4 record against Saban is excellent compared to most other coaches. It’s not the Iron Bowl that has Gus in trouble.

Go back to some of those earlier UGA games though. 2014, 2015, and 2016 were all losses to lesser UGA teams when Auburn was favored and pissed it away by lack of offense each time. Auburn blew a 20 point lead against UGA in 2013 as well, a team not even close to Auburn’s level that year, and we needed a miracle to beat them. UGA hasn’t been the behemoth that many make them out to be for Gus’ tenure.

But let’s also consider the other teams in the West. LSU is better this year than they were when Gus started. UGA is better. UAT is about the same. But every other team in the West is worse. MSU is significantly worse, Ole Miss is worse without Freeze, Arkansas went from bad to doormat, and A&M is also worse. On the whole, outside of 1 or 2 games, the West is easier to navigate now than it was in 2013 or 2014.

13 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

How many more SEC teams does Clemson have to beat on the national stage for folks to realize they'd be in Atlanta regularly?

If the bar is set higher by others you don't wait for it to lower, you figure out a way to get there. 

Clemson runs a marathon 1 time a year Auburn runs it every week

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As soon as they changed the substitution rule, Gus' offense became stale and  predictable. 

How many losses has Gus had beginning in 2014?

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As soon as they changed the substitution rule, Gus' offense became stale and  predictable. 

I tried to look this up a while back and couldn't find anything showing me the exact change to the rules in 2015.  Was the substitution rule always there and just not enforced prior to 2015, or was there a specific rule change made?

8 minutes ago, CR said:

Gus Fans treat this statement as fact over and over.
Dabo has his team playing their best when games matter the most. Gus wilts when the lights are brightest(including several games against Clemson).
Why would any reasonable person expect those 2 things would change if the coaches switched conferences? 

And some assume he would field the same caliber team at an ACC school.  I don’t think he would.   But theories like this are pointless.  He coaches in the SECw and finds ways to lose consistently to the teams that matter.   It’s not that hard to figure out.  

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I tried to look this up a while back and couldn't find anything showing me the exact change to the rules in 2015.  Was the substitution rule always there and just not enforced prior to 2015, or was there a specific rule change made?

@WarTiger?

11 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Saban and Kirby don’t coach MSU, LSU, or (insert random loss here) team. 

You say our schedule is so much more difficult now. I’m not denying that UGA and UAT are really strong and if it was only them we were losing to, no one would be having this conversation. To have a 2-4 record against Saban is excellent compared to most other coaches. It’s not the Iron Bowl that has Gus in trouble.

Go back to some of those earlier UGA games though. 2014, 2015, and 2016 were all losses to lesser UGA teams when Auburn was favored and pissed it away by lack of offense each time. Auburn blew a 20 point lead against UGA in 2013 as well, a team not even close to Auburn’s level that year, and we needed a miracle to beat them. UGA hasn’t been the behemoth that many make them out to be for Gus’ tenure.

But let’s also consider the other teams in the West. LSU is better this year than they were when Gus started. UGA is better. UAT is about the same. But every other team in the West is worse. MSU is significantly worse, Ole Miss is worse without Freeze, Arkansas went from bad to doormat, and A&M is also worse. On the whole, outside of 1 or 2 games, the West is easier to navigate now than it was in 2013 or 2014.

Man it’s tough being the only one on the Gus bus. I’m fighting the good fight. I’m done y’all will have to talk to Gus or the bus driver. Let’s beat them Samford Cardinals or whatever they are.

2 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

He coaches in the SECw and finds ways to lose consistently to the teams that matter

...and sometimes teams that don't. :banghead:

38 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Clemson runs a marathon 1 time a year Auburn runs it every week

You're forgetting Clemson came into national relevance when FSU & VT were strong. This is the same school that had it's own word for choking. Dabo's been there a decade it took him less than 7 to take the conference over. How did he do that? Recruit SEC talent to play at a SEC level. 

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As soon as they changed the substitution rule, Gus' offense became stale and  predictable

Since then,

Every opposing pulsing (and some non) defense adaptation > Auburn offense adaptation 

It's adaptation, learning on the job, people!! Species survival 101! We're down to getting lucky on occasion. 

Archived