Null



Sign in to follow this  
twilli13

Phillip Marshall Article

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yeah Aunt Edna, but believe it or not know one gets it (shocked face)

🤷🏼‍♂️ Ok 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

And who are we going to gamble on to fix that problem? Not to many out there that can certainly come in and beat LSU UGA and Bama on the regular. Maybe Urban Myer but the stresses of the sec retired him once already. Grass ain’t always greener.

if Gus was in the ACC he’d be undefeated and y’all be wanting to hire him. If Dabo was in coaching at Auburn with our schedule he’d do about the same as Gus.

Today ain’t hate on Gus day. Like Enzo says  “y’all a Cuppa haters “

You mean the 5 losses a year with occassional anomalies problem? I'm sure there are coaches out there that could do better. Do I claim to be able to be the one who could choose correctly. Sure dont. Does that make my point any less valid. Absodamnlutely not. If Gus could just fix he offensive futility issue, hed already be where we want him to be. But he either cant or wont. My guess is he only knows one way. You're saying there are no other coaches out there that could do better in that regard? I refuse to believe that. I'm not buying Gus would be undefeated in the ACC. Part of the reason he recruits so well at Auburn is because its Auburn. Most of our past coaches recruited fairly well. If he went to some ACC crap school, his recruiting would most likely not produce a talent advantage for him. Then it's back to can he get an offense to out execute a defense with similar or better talent, just like now. He would lose games due to offense there too, 100% guaranteed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I’m not disagreeing with firing a coach.  It’s just the statement we are complacent and are essentially too lazy to do anything to be successful.  That is very loaded.  

I dont think anyone is saying AU is too lazy. Its we dont have the guts to go for it because we are so scared of making the wrong decision and becoming the next Tennessee. Complacency does not always equate to laziness, sometimes its born from fear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

More often than not, the president and AD are the same type of people as the Board, and if we do get a guy that thinks differently (Greene), he gets trumped every time something real needs to change for the football program. There's no guy that would've allowed Gus back if these idiots, his higher ups, didnt force him to. A cutting edge winner isnt going to work here because winning isnt the bottom line

I just dont understand it either. As long as your doing it clean, why is winning not one of the the bottom lines with athletics? What are the ones Gus achieves that trumps winning? Players graduating and staying out of trouble? Those factors should positively correlate with building a consustent winning program. I guess I just dont understand what AU administration's barometers for success are. 

Personally, I feel the barometer should be to take the program to the next level. That's winning 10 games a lot more often than 8 and beating our main rivals at least somewhat more consistently. Au has been stuck around the same success rate for years, yet administration doesn't seem to share any tangible plan for where they want things to go. It's always the future is bright, blah blah blah, general statement about success, blah blah blah. I realize maybe the plan behind the scenes could have more specific and aggressive barometers, but based on what I've viewed with coaching decisions since Dye left, it seems the plan is to maintain status quo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not all of those years were problems with the offense. Several of those years the offense was setting Auburn's all time records and the fans were lamenting the fact that if we only had a defense we'd be undefeated.

Yep.  Gus has sucked in a lot of different ways throughout his tenure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, twilli13 said:

I just dont understand it either. As long as your doing it clean, why is winning not one of the the bottom lines with athletics? What are the ones Gus achieves that trumps winning? Players graduating and staying out of trouble? Those factors should positively correlate with building a consustent winning program. I guess I just dont understand what AU administration's barometers for success are. 

Personally, I feel the barometer should be to take the program to the next level. That's winning 10 games a lot more often than 8 and beating our main rivals at least somewhat more consistently. Au has been stuck around the same success rate for years, yet administration doesn't seem to share any tangible plan for where they want things to go. It's always the future is bright, blah blah blah, general statement about success, blah blah blah. I realize maybe the plan behind the scenes could have more specific and aggressive barometers, but based on what I've viewed with coaching decisions since Dye left, it seems the plan is to maintain status quo. 

Sorry man, not gonna compete for championships "doing it clean", not completely.  Top 150 talent comes with a price tag and we're going to have to decide if we really want to play in that arena.  I'm all for it since our rivals are already doing it much better than we are.  It just has to be done smart, like they are doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not all of those years were problems with the offense. Several of those years the offense was setting Auburn's all time records and the fans were lamenting the fact that if we only had a defense we'd be undefeated.

You're referring to literally one year where the defense caused us to have a mediocre season despite great offense....2014. It's a valid point, but only one year. 2015 through now, super high percentage of our big game losses were due to the offense being weak. So that's 1 year vs close to 5 years. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Sorry man, not gonna compete for championships "doing it clean", not completely.  Top 150 talent comes with a price tag and we're going to have to decide if we really want to play in that arena.  I'm all for it since our rivals are already doing it much better than we are.  It just has to be done smart, like they are doing it.

Dude really? So Bama and UGA are for sure paying everyone and we get top 10 classes completely clean? Come on. I hate them too, but really.....??? If they are doing it, we are definitely doing it too. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Dude really? So Bama and UGA are for sure paying everyone and we get top 10 classes completely clean? Come on. I hate them too, but really.....??? If they are doing it, we are definitely doing it too. 

Of  course we are, just not at the level we need to be.  And no, it's not everyone, but it's a lot of key pieces.  Our Top 10 classes are smoke and mirrors if you really look at what needs we met and what we didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It’s not that we are complacent with mediocrity and to say that is a joke.  It is that many of those are not willing to risk tarnishing Auburn’s image.  And that is a real risk.  That can be difficult for those that do not view Auburn as more than a football school.  Those that do see Auburn for more than that understand the value the school has and the high road we typically take and appreciate that.  

It’s not like Auburn has a sterling image anyway when anyone considers the total crap that has transpired within Auburn athletics I’ve the last 3-4 yrs.  
Firing a very mediocre football coach who has not earned that top 5 salary wouldn’t put a blemish on Auburn’s image.  Nothing like the black eye Person’s or Corey Myers gave it.  Those clowns didn’t take a high road for Auburn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, keesler said:

It’s not like Auburn has a sterling image anyway when anyone considers the total crap that has transpired within Auburn athletics I’ve the last 3-4 yrs.  
Firing a very mediocre football coach who has not earned that top 5 salary wouldn’t put a blemish on Auburn’s image.  Nothing like the black eye Person’s or Corey Myers gave it.  Those clowns didn’t take a high road for Auburn.

Coaches with prior clean histories going rogue isn’t what I am referring to nor does that make Auburn “dirty” in those programs.  For instance, Pearl had absolutely zero idea what was going on With Persons.  What I would be referring to is situations like at Ohio State where Meyer knew exactly what his assistants were doing and went as far as to try to cover it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, twilli13 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/PMARSHONAU-Who-at-Auburn-will-say-follow-me-139007344/Amp/

This Phillip Marshall article so accurately captures what the problem with Auburn football seems to be.... why we cant get to that next level. It's that lack of a killer instinct and commitment to success that's holding Auburn back imo. The only way to get to where we want to be is through tough as nails excellent leadership and I dont think we have it. Not sure we have in my lifetime tbh. 

Thanks for posting the article. PM is overthinking this one. He’s insinuating that the issue with AU is complex. It’s not. This season, with an effective OC and an SEC caliber O line coach, we would be at 10 or 11 wins and contending for a playoff spot. Getting those two things doesn’t take an overhaul of our leadership structure. We have a talented and deep roster, and a defensive staff second to none. Get a HC that can hire a good OC and O line coach, and we will contend with anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Coaches with prior clean histories going rogue isn’t what I am referring to nor does that make Auburn “dirty” in those programs.  For instance, Pearl had absolutely zero idea what was going on With Persons.  What I would be referring to is situations like at Ohio State where Meyer knew exactly what his assistants were doing and went as far as to try to cover it up. 

My point is very simple, Auburn does not have a pristine image that needs to be upheld and considered when the PTB have a decision to make relative to Gus’ continued employment.  
 

IF the Auburn PTB truly want to get out of this rut, then they will do it, image be damned.  They will cut bait and take a chance on an improvement over what they currently have.

There’s little chance that AU will pursue a rouge in the first place since they do take character very seriously.  But we’ve had high character for 7 yrs now and he’s got this thing stuck in a holding pattern that has rendered much of the fan base to apathy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, keesler said:

My point is very simple, Auburn does not have a pristine image that needs to be upheld and considered when the PTB have a decision to make relative to Gus’ continued employment.  
 

IF the Auburn PTB truly want to get out of this rut, then they will do it, image be damned.  They will cut bait and take a chance on an improvement over what they currently have.

There’s little chance that AU will pursue a rouge in the first place since they do take character very seriously.  But we’ve had high character for 7 yrs now and he’s got this thing stuck in a holding pattern that has rendered much of the fan base to apathy.

That is where we respectfully disagree.  I do see us with a pristine image in the university overall.  And I would not support any move that jeopardizes that

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is where we respectfully disagree.  I do see us with a pristine image in the university overall.  And I would not support any move that jeopardizes that

How are things in Fantasy Land these days? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since all but a handful of people on here believe Gus is the problem, (and with the things pointed out in the PM article) when does Allen Greene replace Gus?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is where we respectfully disagree.  I do see us with a pristine image in the university overall.  And I would not support any move that jeopardizes that

Good luck finding one non AU fan who isn’t 100% convinced we paid Cam. Our 2013 team was led by a guy kicked out of UGA for stealing. We were on major probation in the 70s and 90s. I love AU with all my heart, but we’re a long way from pristine. 

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Good luck finding one non AU fan who isn’t 100% convinced we paid Cam. Our 2013 team was led by a guy kicked out of UGA for stealing. We were on major probation in the 70s and 90s. I love AU with all my heart, but we’re a long way from pristine. 

truth hurts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dude has had 7 years.  There is no evidence that he will change enough to have consistent breakout double digit win/championship years.  
 

also “Auburn” isn’t making the decision.  Basically it’s 2 boosters that gotta fork over something like $29,000,000.  They are the ones that fronted the money for the $49 mil contract.  If those 2 don’t want to write that check then he’ll be our coach next year.
 

our problems started when sexton used the 2017 sec championship game (Friday 24 hours before the game) to blackmail leath and the bot to sign the $49 mil contract.  I’d have fully supported auburn if they told Gus Goodbye that Friday.

ive said this repeatedly- auburn has never (other than marsh in swimming) Had a coach leave auburn to take a better job.  Never. They should have called sextons hand and let the chips fall.

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good luck finding one non AU fan who isn’t 100% convinced we paid Cam. Our 2013 team was led by a guy kicked out of UGA for stealing. We were on major probation in the 70s and 90s. I love AU with all my heart, but we’re a long way from pristine. 

Either way on Cam, if he was paid, he could definately afford better than a $1,000 scooter for transportation.  Regarding giving those players second chances, not a single one of those guys got in trouble again once arriving at Auburn.  The only exception was Marshall getting busted with a small amount of marijuana.  It’s not the players, but the support system put around them to help keep them on the right path.  Where places like Alabama know how to cover it up, places like Auburn help prevent it in the first place.  The last Auburn player to be arrested was years ago (Stephen Roberts).

Edited by abw0004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good luck finding one non AU fan who isn’t 100% convinced we paid Cam. Our 2013 team was led by a guy kicked out of UGA for stealing. We were on major probation in the 70s and 90s. I love AU with all my heart, but we’re a long way from pristine. 

Cam was the best investment our bagmen have ever landed us.  Chizik's staff knew how to play the recruiting game.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

The dude has had 7 years.  There is no evidence that he will change enough to have consistent breakout double digit win/championship years.  
 

also “Auburn” isn’t making the decision.  Basically it’s 2 boosters that gotta fork over something like $29,000,000.  They are the ones that fronted the money for the $49 mil contract.  If those 2 don’t want to write that check then he’ll be our coach next year.
 

our problems started when sexton used the 2017 sec championship game (Friday 24 hours before the game) to blackmail leath and the bot to sign the $49 mil contract.  I’d have fully supported auburn if they told Gus Goodbye that Friday.

ive said this repeatedly- auburn has never (other than marsh in swimming) Had a coach leave auburn to take a better job.  Never. They should have called sextons hand and let the chips fall.

Mustache just nailed it.   I would also add that marsh should have been given everything he wanted.   The only true championship caliber teams ever fielded at Auburn.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I would also add that marsh should have been given everything he wanted

Absolutely! Can't believe JJ pissed him away

  • Angry 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigbird said:

Absolutely! Can't believe JJ pissed him away

Greatest coach in the history of the state for ANY sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Either way on Cam, if he was paid, he could definately afford better than a $1,000 scooter for transportation.  Regarding giving those players second chances, not a single one of those guys got in trouble again once arriving at Auburn.  The only exception was Marshall getting busted with a small amount of marijuana.  It’s not the players, but the support system put around them to help keep them on the right path.  Where places like Alabama know how to cover it up, places like Auburn help prevent it in the first place.  The last Auburn player to be arrested was years ago (Stephen Roberts).

I dont disagree with any of that. I just believe in the SEC we all recruit from the same pool and no one is pristine. Every school has reasons, justifications, and/or context to explain why they’re cleaner than their rival. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this