SEC Officials / lack of accountability

lost

9 minutes ago, au701948 said:

The refs can't probably penalize him Tuesday during his presser. BUT, I am sure the ones that show up dressed in stripes would remember when the game starts Saturday.

Penalize him how? By retaliating with how they officiate the game? They could do that, but that would further prove his point, not theirs.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, au701948 said:

I would love love love it if CBS ever lost the choice TV game contract. I cannot stand him.

CBS needs to re-hire Todd Blackledge -- he had that job before Danielson -- and re-unite him with Nessler. Those two were the best in the biz when they were together on ESPN. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

It's all about the money.....and league reputation which go together.  

That's why the only solution is to get rid of conference officiating and just have all officiating originating from a Power Five office. It would take away the conference impetus to place the most number of teams in the playoffs. 

I’m not going to complain about calls as much as their age.  Sorry older guys but some of these refs appear well into their 50s and possibly early 60s.  I’m sure they are capable but there’s no way they can keep up with a bunch of 18-22 year olds as well as a younger person.  

I’m sure CBS/Danielson are receiving the same check that the officials are to not call out those blatant callsor non calls. Like how in the world was their only one camera angle shown on the Seth Williams catch. Why did they show a replay of the Face mask on Nix, but only show the end after the face mask. I spend most of the games on CBS rewinding the missed holding calls because if there is a blatant holding. They won’t show the play again. Yet let one of our db’s touch somebody and they will show five different angles and Danielson will make his definitive comment. Heck on our second td against uga he called it a pick three different times. I could be wrong but it’s not a pick if the ball is passed behind the line of scrimmage. Which it was. Not only that it was a block because he did not touch the defender until our guy had the ball. Yet he still insisted on calling it a pick, and pretty much announce that we got away with something. Which was just flat out wrong!! Heck he even made the comment on the LSU game that our D-line was complaining that we were being held. He said he went back and watched the last play and their was no holding. Well I went back and watched most every play, and that certain play was the only play that we weren’t being held!!

It was obvious that LSU knew they weren’t gonna get called for holding in that game. I keep thinking that we should have picked up on that and held every play just like them. Ha, made myself laugh. No way we get away with it. 

3 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Nothing will ever be done about it. It makes me like college football a little less every year, but it's the world we live in. What I would really like to see is Gus grow a pair and actually go ahead and bring it up this week. Just a remark to watch Derrick Brown and Davidson to see how many times that are held during the game and it doesn't get called. Bring it to the forefront before the game so it will be a topic of discussion when it happens. Gus wont do it though. Not smart enough and too skeered to do it.

No one does that anymore, not even dink. Because they’d get blackballed by the refs and get fined by the SEC. Last HC that poked that bear was Spurrier because he just didn’t care who he pissed off. 

The athletic depts roll out the red carpet when the refs come to town. The coaches aren’t going to also strong-arm them. During the game, sure. But not prior or after in front of a mic. 

While I certainly have witnessed the bias, the problem is also just bad officiating in the college game, and in the SEC really bad. I agree with the previous poster that officiating should be removed from the conferences, and should be set up on a national level. Make them true professionals, pay them handsomely, and require accountability for getting the calls right. College football is way too big of a business to be officiated by the good old boy system that's in place now.

The GA- A&M game was a total farce last night. I saw GA get away with holding eligible receivers no less than three times on one critical drive by A&M in the last minutes of the game last night. Also,  on the TD pass that Fromm threw to the kid that flipped from us he grabbed the DB's facemask, and almost pulled him down, and then just ran right by him for an easy catch in the end zone. I fail to see how in the world an official could possibly miss that.

Just to fan the flame:

SEC office: Pereira's claims 'erroneous and without merit'

Jordan Cox | 5 years ago

It was reported Sunday afternoon that former NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira had some harsh critiques for SEC officials.

Related: SEC Penalty Report: Week 9

Pereira, now an officiating analyst for Fox Sports, questioned the integrity and credibility of SEC officials due to multiple calls in SEC games the past two weeks. You can read his full comments here.

Related: Week 9 questionable calls

According to George Schroeder of USA Today, the league office responded to Pereira’s claims calling them “unfounded and irresponsible.”

George Schroeder✔@GeorgeSchroeder

SEC statement on the charge game officials communicated via radio with some other person in violation of rules.

A quick google search and you will find dozens of complaints about bad officiating that definitely changed the outcome of games ….and of course the common concern about field officials getting calls from "somewhere" that cause them to change a call or pick up a flag on a critical play. 

The examples above were flagrant...but not atypical unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

You must be young. It’s been going on for a long time. There are reasons that we didn’t play bammer for many years and officiating is one of them. What makes it worse today is that there’s replay and they still get it wrong. This tells me that some of the B.S. officiating is on purpose. How does a team go an entire season without an offensive holding call?

Young??  😂😂😂😂😂

Officiating was never as bad as it has progressively gotten.  Money is the reason for it.   And the dead period between 1907 and 1948 had little to do with officiating.  It was more about who paid expense per diems and how much they paid.  They also disagreed on officials and who paid them.  

7 hours ago, around4ever said:

I don’t know who thought it through enough to realize a call here or there and a non-call here and there could be the difference in a close game.  

Absolutely....does not take long to think  of our games where one "questionable" call or non-call determined the outcome of a game.  We've been on the losing end of several of those lately.   The favoritism does not even have to be blatant.....just timely.   

Even that .01 call in the bama game a few years ago was timely in that it gave bama one more chance to win the game. ….just happened to backfire on them. .  

This entire thread is why I don't understand the fantasy that some miracle coach who "demands excellence" is going to come in here and suddenly beat bammer, uga and lsu. You don't have to be just a little better to beat calls like we see in the ATM thread a few posts up, or in Mark Murphy's infamous "Holding Gallery" from the IB a few years back. You have to be a LOT better than them, and when they have a free hand in recruiting - how many top 3 classes have those three had combined? - it literally becomes impossible to be that much better.

You could have Tom Landry, Ara Parseighian, Mike Ditka, and Knute Rockne on the staff, and the very best you would do is a little under .500. If that, facing elite recruits and "elite" officials. Compound that with them building depth and resting starters by playing one cupcake after another all year until they get to their 2 big games, and it's just not possible to find a miracle cure by replacing the HC. 

And to the poster who thought we got calls in '10 and '13, seriously? Remember the unsportsmanlike on Fairley in the IB called from the SEC office prior to the game?

10 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

This entire thread is why I don't understand the fantasy that some miracle coach who "demands excellence" is going to come in here and suddenly beat bammer, uga and lsu. You don't have to be just a little better to beat calls like we see in the ATM thread a few posts up, or in Mark Murphy's infamous "Holding Gallery" from the IB a few years back. You have to be a LOT better than them, and when they have a free hand in recruiting - how many top 3 classes have those three had combined? - it literally becomes impossible to be that much better.

You could have Tom Landry, Ara Parseighian, Mike Ditka, and Knute Rockne on the staff, and the very best you would do is a little under .500. If that, facing elite recruits and "elite" officials. Compound that with them building depth and resting starters by playing one cupcake after another all year until they get to their 2 big games, and it's just not possible to find a miracle cure by replacing the HC. 

And to the poster who thought we got calls in '10 and '13, seriously? Remember the unsportsmanlike on Fairley in the IB called from the SEC office prior to the game?

You get it!!! I some times wonder if our fans actually watch the games. How about the play where Cam dove and clearly had the first down, only to be marked short and caused us to have to go for it on 4th down(Darvin Adams’ catch on the AU sideline). 

It would take massive movements by the fans to bring attention to it, and it would most likely have to start with the students. An effective way to do it may be to procure striped shirts the students can wear and yellow flags they can wave during the games. Imagine if the entire student section were to do that; it would definitely get the attention of the media, then other schools who are screwed by officiating could start taking action. Social media would help in that they could begin showing pictures, videos, statistics, etc. that are prime examples of the corrupt officiating.

All the above is hence why i said it may be up to the fans to show their refusal to continue.  The schools, coaches are too intertwined to do anything.  It seems foolish to try a sit-down, but it got the attention of all with the climate protest.  Why not something that is real and legit and has no motive except to level the playing ground for all teams?  Money is why it is being allowed and done, and the loss of money is the only way it will be addressed.

Since only about 3 or 4 of the conference members seem to get the benefits of this very real officiating bias, you would think there would be a huge uproar by the other schools. I would have no problem whatsoever with Auburn and any other of these "non-favored" SEC members threatening to leave the conference if the obvious bias is not removed. The first thing that needs to happen is having the SEC office relocated out of bammerham. I agree with other posters, this is absolutely ruining college football.

32 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Since only about 3 or 4 of the conference members seem to get the benefits of this very real officiating bias, you would think there would be a huge uproar by the other schools. I would have no problem whatsoever with Auburn and any other of these "non-favored" SEC members threatening to leave the conference if the obvious bias is not removed. The first thing that needs to happen is having the SEC office relocated out of bammerham. I agree with other posters, this is absolutely ruining college football.

I don't think a school threatening to leave the conference will move the needle in the least, because no SEC program will ever leave this conference. 

Has our Administration filed a formal complaint with the SEC office?   How many AD's/HC's have brought the officiating to the forefront in the Spring meetings?  

My BIL was an SEC ref 8-10 yrs ago, he is a former AU player so he never officiated an AU game.  He literally made +/-$2,500/game to officiate SEC games, they paid travel expenses but they paid pennies back then to the officiating staff and it was of course a part-time job.

They need full time officials (the conference can damn well afford it), pay them well and give benefits and retirement.  They should have required training at the NFL level and be required to attend training sessions throughout the year.  They should be required to officiate spring practice sessions at various schools all over the country and make them officiate a specific # of summer scrimmages in the Fall for college and NFL before the season starts.  Year round training should be mandatory.

SEC Refs are paid to make sure the top two teams in the SEC are getting all the calls.  Now that there are three, and thuga is likely to lose in Atlanta, the updykes are going to get all the breaks in Jordan-Hare.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

They need full time officials

Pretty sure the NFL doesn't even do this, but you're correct in that they need professionals at this level and involving this much money.

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Pretty sure the NFL doesn't even do this, but you're correct in that they need professionals at this level and involving this much money.

You're probably correct, but they seriously need better training and the SEC needs to retire some of the old guys.  Build up a pool of refs with a half dozen backups so that when one totally screws up a call he can sit on the bench a couple weeks and let a backup ref take his spot.  There has to be some form of accountability and consequences in the ranks to hope for better performance.

Archived