Talking QBs & development from the Recruiting Forum

Mikey

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is basically the QB coach. Doesn't matter who the "QB coach" is actually in title. The common denominator in all pocket passers struggles since 2015 is gus.

Who was responsible for Stidham’s 2017 success?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Who was responsible for Stidham’s 2017 success?

Art briles. 

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Doubt it. Doesn’t take much leeway to say “hey set your feet more when you pass the ball. You’ll complete a few more passes”

Not sure Gus would even allow that sadly.

2 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Do you have first-hand knowledge of this micromanagement?

@War to the Eagle No & I don't have to. Virtually every person connected to the program has said it multiple times the past 3 or 4 years. To me that many connected people saying the same things multiple times is very unlikely to be wrong.

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

No he wasn’t

I have to disagree but am open to another.  Please tells who you think it was.

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

No he wasn’t

He was talking about when Stidham was at Baylor And got the development there. Stidham definitely regressed when he was at Auburn.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He was talking about when Stidham was at Baylor And got the development there. Stidham definitely regressed when he was at Auburn.

Stidham had a great first year at Auburn. What happened to his performance his 2nd year here is anybody's guess. Maybe he was more interested in preserving himself for the draft? He didn't seem to put the necessary effort into it his 2nd year and didn't seem to care if AU won the games. Blame the coaches if it warms your toes on a cold morning but the player has to give 100% too.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Stidham had a great first year at Auburn. What happened to his performance his 2nd year here is anybody's guess. Maybe he was more interested in preserving himself for the draft? He didn't seem to put the necessary effort into it his 2nd year and didn't seem to care if AU won the games. Blame the coaches if it warms your toes on a cold morning but the player has to give 100% too.

They couldn’t run the ball 30 times with a NFL quality RB to open Gus’s 5 passing plays anymore. That probably played a factor

The next HS QB that is successful under Gus will be the first. Thats really all there is to say about a coach 8 years into his employment. His best QBs so far Have been Cam, Marshal, and Stidham. Cam was only here 1 season so not much to evaluate there for improvement. Marshal i think stayed about the same year 1 to 2. And Stidham for sure was worse his second year versus his first at AU. 

So in 8 years of being head coach at Auburn we have 1 QB who maybe got a little better year 1 to year 2. I'm holding out hope for Bo but odds are not in his favor

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

He makes them play scared and tentative.

I have no inside info, but just guessing from play calling and passing scheme, I'd say Gus' #1 requirement and focus on the QB is "Don't turn the ball over." You can't play at a high level when your #1 objective is to not commit a turnover.

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think it's fair to say Bo has regressed since arriving at AU, especially if we are comparing what he did in high school to his true freshman year in the SEC. JMO.

How else do you explain the easy play misses that have been a pattern with him this season?

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think it's fair to say Bo has regressed since arriving at AU, especially if we are comparing what he did in high school to his true freshman year in the SEC. JMO.

Well he definitely hasn't progress which a freshman QB should do during the season imo

Archived