Mikey

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What Jeremy Johnson doesn't count:poke:got him out of high school

I didn't see Johnson get better

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

How else do you explain the easy play misses that have been a pattern with him this season?

I just don't think it's a fair comparison, that's all. He was in his 5th year as a starter at his previous level of competition when he graduated, and he was the best player on the field each time he suited it up. Most guys regress as freshman when you compare their play to their high school performance. I like the way Golf out it better. 

41 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What Jeremy Johnson doesn't count:poke:got him out of high school

At least we can say we've come a long way from the days of JJ's backwards pass at LSU. Now that was a classic right there, lol.

He has been maddeningly inconsistent with his passing.

Two examples: 

The first shuttle pass against Sanford, perfect. The second one was a disaster.

The pass to Joiner on the leak route against UGA a disaster. The pass to Joiner on the same play against Sanford was perfect.

Accuracy seems to be a fundamental problem and I am not sure it will improve with experience.

I have observed him stepping up in the pocket more instead of running to the outside where it seems good things seldom happen, so I do think he has improved. I think his decision making has improved also. Overall I just think that he has gotten better as a QB, except for the accuracy issue.

40 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Two examples: 

The pass to Joiner on the leak route against UGA a disaster. The pass to Joiner on the same play against Sanford was perfect.

Accuracy seems to be a fundamental problem and I am not sure it will improve with experience.

I have observed him stepping up in the pocket more instead of running to the outside where it seems good things seldom happen, so I do think he has improved. I think his decision making has improved also. Overall I just think that he has gotten better as a QB, except for the accuracy issue.

Fundamentals. Don’t watch the ball, watch his feet and how he sets himself on a play. You can almost predict the outcome. Unfortunately, he’s completed some big passes with terrible fundamentals which only reinforces those bad habits.

2 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Joe Burrow completed 58% of his passes last year, with 16 TDS and 5 picks. This year he has completed 79% with 41 TDs  and 6 picks.  Burrows numbers his first year at LSU are  very similar to Bo, who is at 58%, 14 TDS and 6 picks. QBs often do improve accuracy, especially a true freshman and others in a system for the first time. 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I just don't think it's a fair comparison, that's all. He was in his 5th year as a starter at his previous level of competition when he graduated, and he was the best player on the field each time he suited it up. Most guys regress as freshman when you compare their play to their high school performance. I like the way Golf out it better. 

Not comparing it to what he did in high school. Comparing what he's producing vs what he's capable of. At this point it can't be argued that he hasn't progressed. At best the only counter someone can say is it's too soon to make that judgement & that would be fair.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not comparing it to what he did in high school. Comparing what he's producing vs what he's capable of. At this point it can't be argued that he hasn't progressed. At best the only counter someone can say is it's too soon to make that judgement & that would be fair.

I guess it’s a matter of definition of progression. Throwing 50 passes vs UGA without a pick is impressive. They have the best defense in the SEC, and a 60% completion percentage is impressive vs them. That’s a lot better than his early season games. He misfired on the 4th and 2, but he threw a beautiful deep ball to Schwartz that was in and out of his hands, threaded a needle to Seth on the overturned catch, and converted multiple third downs and a 4th downs late in the game. If not progressed, I think he has taken some huge steps forward. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Joe Burrow completed 58% of his passes last year, with 16 TDS and 5 picks. This year he has completed 79% with 41 TDs  and 6 picks.  Burrows numbers his first year at LSU are  very similar to Bo, who is at 58%, 14 TDS and 6 picks. QBs often do improve accuracy, especially a true freshman and others in a system for the first time. 

Well yes that amount of improvement would be nice, wouldn’t it? 

12 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Kerryon Johnson and the defense. And if you wanna compare, Bo’s stats are already better than Stidham’s was both seasons 

Which stats are better? It’s not yards or passing TD’s or completion percentage 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think that's the boat I'm in. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well yes that amount of improvement would be nice, wouldn’t it? 

I was shocked when I came across those numbers for Burrow. I knew he had improved his numbers this year but had no idea how much. 

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Burrow improved because the scheme improved and the coaching improved I hope that will happen at Auburn for next year but I am not holding my breath until that happens.

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Burrow improved because the scheme improved and the coaching improved I hope that will happen at Auburn for next year but I am not holding my breath until that happens.

This ☝️. If we had a coach that wasn’t so paranoid and controlling and had the balls to hire guys that challenge him and improve our scheme then I think the sky would be the limit for Bo. As it is he will get minimal training unless something changes. Imagine Joe Brady using Bo and our skill players to their full potential. 

9 hours ago, Carnell said:

I agree. Burrows went to more of a pro offense with a pro coordinator and he thrived.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I was shocked when I came across those numbers for Burrow. I knew he had improved his numbers this year but had no idea how much. 

Why do you think he improved?

14 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

At least we can say we've come a long way from the days of JJ's backwards pass at LSU. Now that was a classic right there, lol.

Funny thing is Bo did have a pass where the ball slipped out of his hands

13 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Two examples: 

Somebody that speaks my language. This is what I said and pointed out. It was surprising to me that he would have these problems when before the season started people would quote his resume as to why he would be one of the best QB's to ever do it here

Archived