Talking QBs & development from the Recruiting Forum

Mikey

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why do you think he improved?

The system would have a lot to do with it, of course. He also throws to a corps of elite talent receivers. But a lot of it is also on the player. Guys get better, especially over 2 or 3 years. I checked in on a lot of QBs like Hurts, Murray, and Mond. Someone on here posted that Bo had an accuracy issue and that likely wouldn’t get better. But those guys all upped their completion percentage significantly over their career. I believe Bo will too. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Burrow improved because the scheme improved and the coaching improved I hope that will happen at Auburn for next year but I am not holding my breath until that happens.

That impacted it for sure. But Joe Brady is not such a genius that he can produce numbers like Burrow put up this year on scheme or coaching alone. Players who work hard and get experience get better. Check on the stats of Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Kellen Mond, Tajh Boyd. They got better over time. I’m not greatly confident in Gus as a QB whisperer, but some on here making the case that Bo has an accuracy issue and it wont improve. I believe he will get a lot better, with or without Gus. Most QBs dont have their best year as a first year starter. Thats all I’m saying. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That impacted it for sure. But Joe Brady is not such a genius that he can produce numbers like Burrow put up this year on scheme or coaching alone. Players who work hard and get experience get better. Check on the stats of Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Kellen Mond, Tajh Boyd. They got better over time. I’m not greatly confident in Gus as a QB whisperer, but some on here making the case that Bo has an accuracy issue and it wont improve. I believe he will get a lot better, with or without Gus. Most QBs dont have their best year as a first year starter. Thats all I’m saying. 

We will see . He didn’t have stellar accuracy numbers on high school either. He is going to have to crack 60 percent at some point. 

21 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Compare Burrow's improvement from last year to this year to Nick Marshall's improvement from 2013 to 2014 (which also included adding Duke Williams) or the dip that Stidham took after 2017. That's all you need to know about the difference that coaching makes. 

As for Hurts, Murray, Mond and Boyd, I'm curious which of them made a leap comparable to the one Burrow did without a change of OC or head coach. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Compare Burrow's improvement from last year to this year to Nick Marshall's improvement from 2013 to 2014 (which also included adding Duke Williams) or the dip that Stidham took after 2017. That's all you need to know about the difference that coaching makes. 

As for Hurts, Murray, Mond and Boyd, I'm curious which of them made a leap comparable to the one Burrow did without a change of OC or head coach. 

I have made plenty of posts criticizing  Gus and his Qb development.. I got into this discussion because of someone inferring that Bo had an accuracy issue and that it wouldn’t improve. I’m pointing out that history says very few QBs don’t improve over time. I’d like to think few on this board had their best year of their career the first year on the job. I believe Bo will get better, with our without Gus. Others are free to think differently. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I have made plenty of posts criticizing  Gus and his Qb development.. I got into this discussion because of someone inferring that Bo had an accuracy issue and that it wouldn’t improve. I’m pointing out that history says very few QBs don’t improve over time. I’d like to think few on this board had their best year of their career the first year on the job. I believe Bo will get better, with our without Gus. Others are free to think differently. 

Okay. The post I responded to made an additional point, and that was what I took issue with.

As for the thrust of your argument, I agree, and have actually argued same. Again with Nick Marshall, he improved simply by playing another year of P5 football. He may or may not have improved more with a new coach a la Burrow or Jason Campbell in 2004.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

None of them made that big of a leap like Burrow. What he’s doing shouldn’t be compared to anybody else. He’s completing almost 80% of his passes. That’s insane

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

None of them made that big of a leap like Burrow. What he’s doing shouldn’t be compared to anybody else. He’s completing almost 80% of his passes. That’s insane

Exactly. It's extremely unusual and it suggests that a lot more is going on than just the player's personal development. 

One of the big things I’ve noticed about Bo is it appears that he picks a receiver and stares him down as he waits for the opportunity to throw.  I don’t know if this is because he is only given a single read or what.  Auburn needs to get to a receiver by committee approach because if it’s only going to be Seth and Schwartz then Bo isn’t going to improve much over the next year.  Hill, Hastings, and Stove should be good enough to spread the ball around.

27 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Frankly, a lot of it is system and adjusting to what your players do well. Burrow was already an accurate passer. He didn't all the sudden become that much more accurate, at least not from a fundamental dtandpoint. But, he's now in a system that plays to his strengths, and he is clearly extremely comfortable in it. Comfort = confidence and a confident quarterback is going to complete a higher percentage of his throws.

I don't think Bo has regressed. He didn't all the sudden get coached out of his fundamentals. I think he's in a system that he is still getting comfortable with, and he's in a level of competition that he's still adjusting to. I think he's been placed in a very tough position, behind a middling offensive line and an inconsistent run game. 

The more comfortable and confident he gets, the more balls he will complete. Unfortunately he's just in an offense that has made it very hard to get comfortable in. I think we've done a poor job of adjusting things to make him more comfortable.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, cole256 said:

Funny thing is Bo did have a pass where the ball slipped out of his hands

Yes he did, lol. He didn't quite get the backwards yardage JJ got on his.

55 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s been said on multiple telecasts that Burrough isn’t really even taking classes. He’s just doing football (not sure exactly how he’s doing this). Regardless, he’s graduated and focused (almost) entirely on playing qb with film study, throwing, training, etc. He’s essentially a professional still playing at the college level. I realize a lot of the guys playing are focused primarily on their sport but he’s apparently doing it a a different level than most. Even eliminating minor distractions has to be a huge benefit, to his QB play at least

44 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Frankly, a lot of it is system and adjusting to what your players do well. Burrow was already an accurate passer. He didn't all the sudden become that much more accurate, at least not from a fundamental dtandpoint. But, he's now in a system that plays to his strengths, and he is clearly extremely comfortable in it. Comfort = confidence and a confident quarterback is going to complete a higher percentage of his throws.

I don't think Bo has regressed. He didn't all the sudden get coached out of his fundamentals. I think he's in a system that he is still getting comfortable with, and he's in a level of competition that he's still adjusting to. I think he's been placed in a very tough position, behind a middling offensive line and an inconsistent run game. 

The more comfortable and confident he gets, the more balls he will complete. Unfortunately he's just in an offense that has made it very hard to get comfortable in. I think we've done a poor job of adjusting things to make him more comfortable.

Bo looks pretty comfortable to me. I’m in the minority who thinks the coaches haven’t done a bad job for the most part in putting him in comfortable situations. Can’t get any easier than what Gus called on that 4th down pass to Joiner against UGA.

Also there were promising drives that stalled in the ole miss and UGA games from Bo fumbling. Can’t blame coaching on that

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

It’s been said on multiple telecasts that Burrough isn’t really even taking classes. He’s just doing football (not sure exactly how he’s doing this). Regardless, he’s graduated and focused (almost) entirely on playing qb with film study, throwing, training, etc. He’s essentially a professional still playing at the college level. I realize a lot of the guys playing are focused primarily on their sport but he’s apparently doing it a a different level than most. Even eliminating minor distractions has to be a huge benefit, to his QB play at least

That's not unheard of for an athlete to do that. Tim Tebow only took one class his last year at Florida and it was for ballroom dancing. 

19 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Bo looks pretty comfortable to me. I’m in the minority who thinks the coaches haven’t done a bad job for the most part in putting him in comfortable situations. Can’t get any easier than what Gus called on that 4th down pass to Joiner against UGA.

Also there were promising drives that stalled in the ole miss and UGA games from Bo fumbling. Can’t blame coaching on that

Yes, Gus has gotten a couple right. No, everything isn't his fault. Yes, he has underperformed as head coach and play caller and our performance on offense has been far below what the available talent should have been able to accomplish. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

One of the big things I’ve noticed about Bo is it appears that he picks a receiver and stares him down as he waits for the opportunity to throw.  I don’t know if this is because he is only given a single read or what.  Auburn needs to get to a receiver by committee approach because if it’s only going to be Seth and Schwartz then Bo isn’t going to improve much over the next year.  Hill, Hastings, and Stove should be good enough to spread the ball around.

You can say this about every QB going back to JJ. It's a feature, not a bug. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Okay. The post I responded to made an additional point, and that was what I took issue with.

As for the thrust of your argument, I agree, and have actually argued same. Again with Nick Marshall, he improved simply by playing another year of P5 football. He may or may not have improved more with a new coach a la Burrow or Jason Campbell in 2004.

For now I would gladly take a Burrow-like day from Bo, come Saturday. WDE!

This is what some of you are missing. First our o line isn't great but as far as pass blocking they aren't too bad, certainly not bad enough to blame accuracy issues to them...best argument for them is saying if they were better at run blocking Bo wouldn't be in as many 3rd and longs....

Second Bo doesn't have incomplete passes because he didn't know where to go with the ball.....this isn't a complex offense.....to think he'll have a jump in accuracy just because he's a year in is blind hope at best.

Bo's problems has been in his fundamentals in footwork, staring down receivers throwing to the wr instead of to a spot, etc. He will have to work on those things which can be fixed so that means he can become more accurate....but IMO there has to be a concern that some of those things were big problems in the first place. Oh and he has to learn how to run effectively and protect himself as well. 

Archived