My Thoughts From the Stadium (Samford)

abw0004

Good afternoon all,

I apologize for the delay.  But rest assured I did not forget!  Let's jump in!

Weather:  This was very well documented and not fun.  It rained for a good 3 quarters, sometimes just in a downpour.  Because I am just so smart, I thought my rain jacket would keep me dry.  What I did not consider is rain jackets only keep your top half dry and water falls down from your jacket unto your pants.  I will say this, jeans do not dry out quickly.  If it were one degree colder I would have been flat out miserable.  Getting up to let people out of the isle felt like a river of water running down my legs.  I would not say it rained as much as the West Virginia game in 2009, but I was very glad it did not have any lightning so we could get this show on the road.

Crowd:  As you could see from the television most likely, not many people were in attendance.  What you must consider were the circumstances.  It was a noon game, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, students were on break, it was cold, and it was wet against inferior competition.  If I were not so stubborn I would have left, but I stayed.  Why?  As long as my team was out there in the elements, so was I.  I did not even move up in the covered area a few rows up.  Crazy?  Most likely, but I prefer the term passionate.

Playcalling:  A lot of the plays I believe were intentionally put into place to get real-time repetitions.  For this reason we saw more incompletions from Bo.  The fades were a plenty and that is a trade we need Bo to master.  I would rather him go through the tribulations now than in the Iron Bowl.

Back-Ups:  It was nice to see the back-ups in the game getting quality repetitions.  I am no expert but I was impressed with our second string offensive line.  Those guys coupled with our #1 and #2 rated JUCO offensive linemen coming in makes me think we will be just fine next season.  Cord really impressed me.  His passes were a little wobbly, but he got the job done and because of him we beat the spread.

Defense:  This was the first shutout of the season and you could tell on the sidelines our players were enjoying it, but at the same time staying focused.  I was extremely disappointed to see
Sherwood get ejected.  We need him this next game and that play was just unnecessary.

Records:  There is already a thread on this, but you cannot overstate it enough.  Bo Nix took the Auburn freshman record with 185 completions in a season, beating the 180 by Stan White in 1990. Nix tied White for the freshman record with his 14th touchdown pass. Nix has 2,193 passing yards, 49 yards shy of the Auburn freshman record.  Against Alabama he could very well own all three records.  This really makes you step back and appreciate how great of a talent Bo really is.  I think sometimes we are too close to the situation to really see him for what he is.  That is a big feat to accomplish and just imagine what he is capable of next year.  If Bo were a year older this year, we would easily have two more wins.  Easily.

Iron Bowl:  Well, here we are, THE IRON BOWL.  This game will make our break our season.  Win this game and we very well could have a 10 win season.  Most of you said we would only get to 8 wins.  We have the perfect time slot, and this game is at home.  Not only this, but we have a great shot at winning this game.  Now, I do not want anyone taking away the importance of this win (should we win) because Tua is out.  Many of you would not let that be an excuse in the 2016 UGA game, or the 2017 SEC Championship so we cannot let that be an excuse for this year's Iron Bowl.  A win is a win.  A loss is a loss.  No particular color needs to be worn to this game, just arrive early and get rockin'!  It going to be another party!  See all of you there!

:wareagle:

58 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For this reason we saw more incompletions from Bo.  The fades were a plenty and that is a trade we need Bo to master.  I would rather him go through the tribulations now than in the Iron Bowl.

Accuracy isn't easily fixable, especially considering he's grown up with such experienced teaching and still hasn't fixed them. It's not like he just has poor mechanics that could use some significant tweaking. 

I have a feeling this is just an issue that Bo will have the majority of time at AU. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Good afternoon all,

I apologize for the delay.  But rest assured I did not forget!  Let's jump in!

Weather:  This was very well documented and not fun.  It rained for a good 3 quarters, sometimes just in a downpour.  Because I am just so smart, I thought my rain jacket would keep me dry.  What I did not consider is rain jackets only keep your top half dry and water falls down from your jacket unto your pants.  I will say this, jeans do not dry out quickly.  If it were one degree colder I would have been flat out miserable.  Getting up to let people out of the isle felt like a river of water running down my legs.  I would not say it rained as much as the West Virginia game in 2009, but I was very glad it did not have any lightning so we could get this show on the road.

Crowd:  As you could see from the television most likely, not many people were in attendance.  What you must consider were the circumstances.  It was a noon game, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, students were on break, it was cold, and it was wet against inferior competition.  If I were not so stubborn I would have left, but I stayed.  Why?  As long as my team was out there in the elements, so was I.  I did not even move up in the covered area a few rows up.  Crazy?  Most likely, but I prefer the term passionate.

Playcalling:  A lot of the plays I believe were intentionally put into place to get real-time repetitions.  For this reason we saw more incompletions from Bo.  The fades were a plenty and that is a trade we need Bo to master.  I would rather him go through the tribulations now than in the Iron Bowl.

Back-Ups:  It was nice to see the back-ups in the game getting quality repetitions.  I am no expert but I was impressed with our second string offensive line.  Those guys coupled with our #1 and #2 rated JUCO offensive linemen coming in makes me think we will be just fine next season.  Cord really impressed me.  His passes were a little wobbly, but he got the job done and because of him we beat the spread.

Defense:  This was the first shutout of the season and you could tell on the sidelines our players were enjoying it, but at the same time staying focused.  I was extremely disappointed to see
Sherwood get ejected.  We need him this next game and that play was just unnecessary.

Records:  There is already a thread on this, but you cannot overstate it enough.  Bo Nix took the Auburn freshman record with 185 completions in a season, beating the 180 by Stan White in 1999. Nix tied White for the freshman record with his 14th touchdown pass. Nix has 2,193 passing yards, 49 yards shy of the Auburn freshman record.  Against Alabama he could very well own all three records.  This really makes you step back and appreciate how great of a talent Bo really is.  I think sometimes we are too close to the situation to really see him for what he is.  That is a big feat to accomplish and just imagine what he is capable of next year.  If Bo were a year older this year, we would easily have two more wins.  Easily.

Iron Bowl:  Well, here we are, THE IRON BOWL.  This game will make our break our season.  Win this game and we very well could have a 10 win season.  Most of you said we would only get to 8 wins.  We have the perfect time slot, and this game is at home.  Not only this, but we have a great shot at winning this game.  Now, I do not want anyone taking away the importance of this win (should we win) because Tua is out.  Many of you would not let that be an excuse in the 2016 UGA game, or the 2017 SEC Championship so we cannot let that be an excuse for this year's Iron Bowl.  A win is a win.  A loss is a loss.  No particular color needs to be worn to this game, just arrive early and get rockin'!  It going to be another party!  See all of you there!

:wareagle:

Stan White retired from playing in 1998.

18 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Accuracy isn't easily fixable, especially considering he's grown up with such experienced teaching and still hasn't fixed them. It's not like he just has poor mechanics that could use some significant tweaking. 

I have a feeling this is just an issue that Bo will have the majority of time at AU. 

Gus will tweak him. Lol

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Stan White retired from playing in 1998.

That's okay, his only freshman season was 1990. 😉

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

That's okay, his only freshman season was 1990. 😉

If you don't count his redshirt season...   😁

Just now, The Freak said:

If you don't count his redshirt season...   😁

Since he didn't play as a TF, I ONLY count his RS season. 😁

Archived