SEC Conspiracy

AUght2win

Power 5 Conferences are incentivized to assist their contending teams. Not just for bragging rights. Conferences get 6 million per playoff team. And think of all the money that isn't directly made from a playoff berth - from merchandise sales, to national exposure, to using the CFP as a tool in TV contract negotiations ("We demand $40 million more than the ACC, since we have multiple teams that will be in the playoffs each year.") So what's the most direct way to make sure your team(s) get in?

Think about the job of a referee. It's to be impartial and objective. Yet how can a ref impartial when they are employed by the conferences themselves? The company that writes their checks earns millions of dollars depending on certain teams to winning. That's a huge conflict of interest.

I imagine all conferences have an unwritten rule for the refs and replay crew to favor contenders in match-ups with non-contenders. But the SEC seems to be the most blatant about it. I am going to research the record of CFP contenders (Top 10 teams) against non-contenders in November. Now, obviously, if you're a contender you usually have better talent in the type of match up I'm describing. So you expect contenders to beat non-contenders in November by a high percentage. But you also expect the occasional upset, ala Oregon-ASU. I can't remember the last time that happened in November in the SEC. I just want a fair shot at Alabama, but I know full-well that any close calls, weird flags, and replays will go their way. As Marlon said, "It's hard to overcome the opponent and the refs."

The SEC is throwing games. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's common sense.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

I’m not sure it’s the conference.  I think Vegas/mob is getting to the refs.  The calls this year are just too blatant, and there’s too much money to be made

If it was Vegas it would be the opposite. A lot more upsets.

So taking a look now. Startling stats.

Since the CFP's inception, there have been 43 matchups between top 10 SEC teams and non-top 10 SEC squads. The overall record is much more competitive than I thought, with the contenders (top 10 teams) only winning 33, and losing 10 times. 

However, while the total 2014-2019 record is 33-10 as previously stated, the past three seasons are 19-1. That's a huge shift in the norm! 

Why the sudden change from 2017 on? 2017 happened to be the first season two teams from one conference, OUR conference, made the playoff. This could be evidence that 2017 was the first season the SEC began actively trying to get two teams in.

2014-2016: Contenders 14-9 against non contenders.

2017-2019: Contenders 19-1 against non contenders. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So taking a look now. Startling stats.

Since the CFP's inception, there have been 43 matchups between top 10 SEC teams and non-top 10 SEC squads. The overall record is much more competitive than I thought, with the contenders (top 10 teams) only winning 33, and losing 10 times. 

However, while the total 2014-2019 record is 33-10 as previously stated, the past three seasons are 19-1. That's a huge shift in the norm! 

Why the sudden change from 2017 on? 2017 happened to be the first season two teams from one conference, OUR conference, made the playoff. This could be evidence that 2017 was the first season the SEC began actively trying to get two teams in.

2014-2016: Contenders 14-9 against non contenders.

2017-2019: Contenders 19-1 against non contenders. 

In all seriousness I’m not one to usually jump on conspiracy theory bandwagons but it does make you think.

I also feel like the refs are just awful though.

15 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

In all seriousness I’m not one to usually jump on conspiracy theory bandwagons but it does make you think.

I also feel like the refs are just awful though.

The call reversal against UGA was shocking. Think about it. The call on the field was a catch. There is no way that replay official could tell us, with a straight face, he had indisputable evidence to overturn it. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

The call reversal against UGA was shocking. Think about it. The call on the field was a catch. There is no way that replay official could tell us, with a straight face, he had indisputable evidence to overturn it. 

Oh yeah I agree. I was shocked on that one. I just always look at how many folks would have to be involved and keep their mouths shut for a conspiracy like that to exist. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but I tend to err on the non conspiracy side.  

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Oh yeah I agree. I was shocked on that one. I just always look at how many folks would have to be involved and keep their mouths shut for a conspiracy like that to exist. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but I tend to err on the non conspiracy side.  

Just replay officials and on field officials. That's probably, what, only like 30-40 people? 

The NCAA needs to be in charge of the refs. Fly these guys all over the place. Do a game in Tempe one week, Bloomington the next, Miami the next. Even as bad as the NCAA is, if they employed the refs at least then there wouldn't be such a clear conflict of interest. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Just replay officials and on field officials. That's probably, what, only like 30-40 people? 

Thats a lot to keep a secret. Only takes one to blow it open...

But look your theory is just as likely as mine. I’m not saying its not happening. Anytime large amounts of dollars are involved anything is possible.

I watch a lot of CFB across all power 5 conferences, and the one consistent thing I see is how poorly the officiating has gotten. I don't believe in an NCAA wide conspiracy, too many people to keep quiet. Obviously gamblers etc. could get a crew to affect a game. Seems officiating has actually gotten worse with replay, maybe they make the easy call expecting replay will clean up any mess made. 

I definitely think full time officials from the NCAA would be better than conference officials. At least the conspiracy theorist would be harder to believe.

I don't believe that there is necessarily a conspiracy, but if there were, you don't need replay and on-field officials, you only need the replay officials. They buzz in the review call and they determine the call.That is probably 10 people or so, tops.

They have to think about what's best for the conference, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I don't believe there is an organized and strategic conspiracy.  I do believe personal feelings and the fear of screwing the pooch by systematically eliminating a team from play off contention is real among officials...... in every conference not just the SEC.  Refs are horrible in more than just our neck of the woods.

3 hours ago, nutspanther said:

I don't believe that there is necessarily a conspiracy, but if there were, you don't need replay and on-field officials, you only need the replay officials. They buzz in the review call and they determine the call.That is probably 10 people or so, tops.

On-field makes an even bigger difference. Calls like holding, pass interference, and personal fouls are almost always just personal preference calls. We have seen some bizarre ones the last few years without any real explanation or accountability from the refs. 

Personally, I don't think you can keep enough people quiet, however how do you explain the blatant holding that was allowed in the LSU game?  Call a couple of those, LSU has to work a lot harder to beat Auburn.  Doubt you see two holding flags against bama on Saturday.

Now keep in mind, everybody in the country is saying we have the best D Line in the country and holding is almost never called against Auburn's opponents.   Is that fact or perception?  It is so bad even our players are calling it out.  That speaks volumes.

The SEC overwhelming benefits from an undefeated LSU playing undefeated bama: at that point, they have a chance for two teams to get into playoffs, Joe Burrows remains the favorite to win the Hesiman and the Auburn story had been played: 2013 and 2017; time for some new blood.

Since Oregon lost and Oklahoma has been barely getting by Bammer has become the “insurance policy” for the SEC to get two in the playoff.  If Georgia beats LSU I think they are both in the playoff but if LSU wins then Georgia is out and that is where the “insurance policy” may be needed.  That is why I think there is going to be some bias on Saturday.  Plus you know the Bammer OL is going to be holding Brown and Davidson every play and holding is legal when you are wearing dark pink and white.  

6 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

This reads like a thread started by people that haven't reffed a competitive football game in their lives.

By all means, please grace us with your godly presence...

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

This reads like a thread started by people that haven't reffed a competitive football game in their lives.

Ooh! A real life referee! Can you scan me an autograph? 

Archived