When will it happen?

AUwent

When will it happen?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. I think we will make a head coaching change on December 2, ...

• Past that...oh god.

Exactly, somebody explain the difference to me . If you don’t recruit like you should but coach your players up to win some you shouldn’t and lose games you should have won ( tubby) or you recruit good but still lose games you should win and win some games you shouldn’t (Gus) . Which is the better coach ? Neither. Big difference was Tubby wasn’t making $49 million. Don’t be mad at the fans for being upset with a coach that demanded and got too pay then produces mediocre results. Complain to Gus. If he didn’t want to be held to hire standards he should have been willing to except mediocre pay. Pretty sure you go demand a raise from your boss then do less you will probably be hunting a new job. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Pretty sure you go demand a raise from your boss then do less you will probably be hunting a new job. 

Why is this an extremely hard concept ?

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The him being a strong recruiter (BESIDES the OL) is what makes this team so frustrating. We are so freaking talented but you would never know it by watching our offense since 2015 sans 2017. We have been so painful to watch and play down to our talent we have at our disposal. Whats the point of recruiting so strong if we do not put our players on HIS side of the ball to good use?

But that's the thing (not saying I disagree with you). He could've easily nudged Grimes to retirement last December and gone out and hired a big time OL coach. And you know what, there's a strong possibility I would be more forgiving if he had done that before now. Because it would have shown we could make important personnel changes, and we would have a full class of talented linemen under said new OL coach. I think many more of us, maybe myself included, would be arguing to give him a few more years and see how things developed.

But, he didn't do that. He made his own bed, and he's gonna have to sleep in it. Gus's epitaph whenever the lever is pulled--likely on Wednesday, December 2, 2020--will not necessarily be about QBs. It will be, in my opinion, about his p*ss-poor decisions of OL coach hires.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

But that's the thing (not saying I disagree with you). He could've easily nudged Grimes to retirement last December and gone out and hired a big time OL coach. And you know what, there's a strong possibility I would be more forgiving if he had done that before now. Because it would have shown we could make important personnel changes, and we would have a full class of talented linemen under said new OL coach. I think many more of us, maybe myself included, would be arguing to give him a few more years and see how things developed.

But, he didn't do that. He made his own bed, and he's gonna have to sleep in it. Gus's epitaph whenever the lever is pulled--likely on Wednesday, December 2, 2020--will not necessarily be about QBs. It will be, in my opinion, about his p*ss-poor decisions of OL coach hires.

I just do not see the point of keeping him around for another year when the outcome is so obvious. Nothing will change next year. It will just get worse. All 5 of these mediocre OL starters will be gone. Defense will regress because of the immense talent we lose. So no more of the defense saving Malzahns ass.This would not even be up for debate if it wasn't for that freaking Steven Leath. To pay Gus 7 mill in salary next year just to bridge the gap to December of 2020?! NO THANK YOU!! I wish he would just leave. PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE US!! Throw is a life vest and hire him away. This has to end. For it to go on any longer? ........................ It is horrendous for our program. It puts us further in to the deep abyss of football purgatory. I wish Harbert would do what he allegedly boastfully proclaimed which is he would foot the bill for the 14 million that is due within 30 days of hiring if Gus did not work out. Since he is just as much to blame as Leath. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:04 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

If Saturday looks like UF, LSU, and UGA and we lose 34-7

Which one of those games did we lose 34-7?

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe by some, but not from me. Gus runs a clean program, been our best recruiter, established and maintains player discipline, is a good ambassador for the university...but that's not why he was hired. He was hired for his offense.

If offense trumps all else, then lets go hire Pertino or Freeze. Sleezy coaches that get their schools and/or themselves in trouble, don't win all that many games but man they can run an offense!

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If offense trumps all else, then lets go hire Pertino or Freeze. Sleezy coaches that get their schools and/or themselves in trouble, don't win all that many games but man they can run an offense!

Gus is a better HEAD COACH than Petrino. Petrino is a much much much better offensive mind and play caller. If Gus would ever get his head out of his own ass and stop being the absolute most maddening stubborn coach alive and hire Petrino as OC and give him TOTAL CONTROL a Petrino passing offense with him as Malzahns OC would be absolutely deadly with our treasure trove of weapons at WR.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Missing the point intentionally or not is still missing the point.

Name a single coach that is known for offense or defense that has had a team excel  at the opposite and struggle at their strength.

If all that matters most to you is the perception of the program and not the effectiveness or viability of the program, then I can see why your lead the charge for mediocrity. 

If Gus evolved his offense the way you evolve your arguments and defense of him, then we'd have been undefeated the last 3 years.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Name a single coach that is known for offense or defense that has had a team excel  at the opposite and struggle at their strength.

If all that matters most to you is the perception of the program and not the effectiveness or viability of the program, then I can see why your lead the charge for mediocrity. 

If Gus evolved his offense the way you evolve your arguments and defense of him, then we'd have been undefeated the last 3 years.

Name a single head coach that has all the positive attributes you credited Gus with, yet is also super as an O-coordinator, has proven this as a head coach and will accept the Auburn job. Stop before you name Cristobal, we've been through that. His nine year w/l record of 45-54 is way worse than Gus's.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Name a single head coach that has all the positive attributes you credited Gus with, yet is also super as an O-coordinator, has proven this as a head coach and will accept the Auburn job. Stop before you name Cristobal, we've been through that. His nine year w/l record of 45-54 is way worse than Gus's.

So you can't?

Just say that, stop trying to deflect.

Just now, bigbird said:

So you can't?

I'm not the one bleating for a coaching change. Naming your guy is your problem, not mine. Get @GwillMac6 to help in the search, he's always full of great ideas.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I'm not the one bleating for a coaching change. Naming your guy is your problem, not mine. Get @GwillMac6 to help in the search, he's always full of great ideas.

lol We know your game by now. Any name we say you shoot down. You are never going to be a fan of whoever Auburn hires next.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Seriously, just say you can't name one that has pulled a Gus. I understand it's inexplicable.

There are many coaches out there that could easily replicate the mediocrity he has sustained at AU. They also have the potential to do much better. Unfortunately, Gus' potential has become reality and he will continue and flounder against teams with equal talent.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Seriously, just say you can't name one that has pulled a Gus.

Go back and read the post you quoted. You got the cart in front of the horse.

About "pulled a Gus" I can't recall someone whose opposite side of the ball did better than his supposed strength, but then Gus's didn't either until this year.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol We know your game by now. Any name we say you shoot down. You are never going to be a fan of whoever Auburn hires next.

If/when Auburn hires the next coach, he'll have my backing 100% until he demonstrates that he isn't getting the job done. Gus is getting the job done better than most. Would I like more wins? Sure. Is 8-3 against the nation's toughest schedule, with all three losses being in close games against top level competition the sort of season that should get a coach fired? Certainly not.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

2015: O-74 D-76

2016: O-49 D-7

2017: O-25 D-11

2018: O-48 D-14

2019: O-41 D-11

He is just going to say BUT WHAT WERE the 2013 and 2014 numbers?!??!?! lmao. We all know his playbook. No wonder he loves Gus so much. He is as predictable as Malzahn.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is just going to say BUT WHAT WERE the 2013 and 2014 numbers?!??!?! lmao. We all know his playbook. No wonder he loves Gus so much. He is as predictable as Malzahn.

I'm not looking it up, but I suspect that most if not all SEC teams rank higher nationally on D than O. Just as the Big 12 teams are going to rank higher on O than D.

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Bob Stoops' early Oklahoma teams were great defensively.  If memory serves, they faded after two or three years and had a steady and decided decline.  His last several teams were dreadful defensively, given his reputation.  They fared pretty well on offense during most of his run.

WDE!

7 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Bob Stoops' early Oklahoma teams were great defensively.  If memory serves, they faded after two or three years and had a steady and decided decline.  His last several teams were dreadful defensively, given his reputation.  They fared pretty well on offense during most of his run.

WDE!

You're right. Nice one!

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

so these were the overall offensive number rankings in recent work history for gus when he got his, let me get this straight, top 5 contract.??? i see a five in there but its been a while since i've used the decimal system.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is like video evidence of a crime Gus is commiting. It should actually end the debate once and for all but it won't of course. 

Hard to imagine losing 4 games with 2017 numbers but Gus managed to. 

Kevin Steele is worth his weight in gold. Actually he's worth Gus's weight in gold too. 

Leath is the real criminal here and he's holding us all hostage until the 47 million is paid. 

Bottom line is that Gus has Auburn by the short hairs. He stays and racks up 7 million/year to produce mediocrity. Next year's team has the potential to be one of the worst teams in AU history due to the losses on defense and the entire OL leaving (even though they're not good to begin with). His handling of Gatewood was disgraceful. He lied to that young man by telling him and everyone else how important he was going to be to the team, and then basically shoving him out the door. He gets fired, and he walks away with more money than a lot of us put together will make in a lifetime. It's amazing to me that Nick Saban, who bitched almost ad nauseam about the HUNH offense,  has evolved his offense to where it is one of the SEC's and NCAA's most potent, yet here AU is with the reputed offensive genius, and he seems to be stuck with the mind set that the offense he produced at AU in 2010 and 2013, is still the best and cannot be beaten. He doesn't seem to understand that defenses have adjusted to his offense, but he just keeps plugging it along. 

Archived