When will it happen?

AUwent

When will it happen?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. I think we will make a head coaching change on December 2, ...

• Past that...oh god.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

If offense trumps all else, then lets go hire Pertino or Freeze. Sleezy coaches that get their schools and/or themselves in trouble, don't win all that many games but man they can run an offense!

What makes you think all coaches who have had offensive success in Power 5 are sleazeballs or rules breakers? Is Mike Norvell? Is Lincoln Riley?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Shot down again. Nothing new here!

Not so shot down. I'd like to see the same list for Big 12 teams. I'm guessing that they'll show the O being better than the D, while most SEC teams will show the D being better than the O. Lists taken out of context are fun but don't mean much.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not so shot down. I'd like to see the same list for Big 12 teams. I'm guessing that they'll show the O being better than the D, while most SEC teams will show the D being better than the O. Lists taken out of context are fun but don't mean much.

How is that taken out of context?

The context is Gus' offense, the thing he is known and championed for, has been pedestrian while at AU and has been the singular aspect of the team that has prohibited their success the last 5 years.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How is that taken out of context?

The context is the entire % records of NCAA (I assume P5 schools). Isolate a team that plays in a conference that emphasized defense and guess what?

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

The context is the entire % records of NCAA (I assume P5 schools). Isolate a team that plays in a conference that emphasized defense and guess what?

That's not what we were talking about. Goal post aren't meant to be moveable

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's not what we were talking about. Goal post aren't meant to be moveable

You posted Gus's rankings against the entire body of NCAA teams. You set the goal posts there, I didn't move them.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You posted Gus's rankings against the entire body of NCAA teams. You set the goal posts there, I didn't move them.

Yes, I posted Gus' teams offensive and defensive ranks. Proving the point we were discussing that Gus' strength is what is holding us back. That's literally what we were talking about.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Yes, I posted Gus' teams offensive and defensive ranks. Proving the point we were discussing that Gus' strength is what is holding us back. That's literally what we were talking about.

And I believe that most if not all SEC teams will show similar numbers. The SEC is a defensive oriented conference. Now, it's too nice of a day to spend any more time sitting in front of a computer screen. Lets go outside and do something that's fun.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Name a single coach that is known for offense or defense that has had a team excel  at the opposite and struggle at their strength.

Chizik? :dunno:

When will it happen?   Jan 1, 2022 when the buyout drops to *only* $10.8 million.  

Disgraceful contract and stewardship by AU PTB.  And don’t tell me Gus is not in it for the money.  

First happy thanksgiving to all today. Second let’s stop with berating players. These players were all pretty good recruits that’s why we have had a top 12 every year since 2010. We gripe at Grimes and Hand but the truth actually lies within Gus himself. Don’t be fooled this has been Gus’s offense since day 1. Early on it was good because it was different. Soon coaches began to scout it and figure it out. A lot of what Gus does  involves  eye candy.  You have heard Nick, Kirby, Jimbo and a lot of other coaches tell you that and tell you they have coached their players to not focus on it. Because of the type of offense Gus runs you have multiple players moving to the point of attack which is good. What is bad is you leave open avenues from the rear for people to penetrate. That’s why we move less against top teams. They have players fast enough to track down through these vacant holes and make tackles in the backfield. Even though we have added to our route trees we are still light years behnd top teams in our route trees and our passing game. Our passing static’s are influence by a lot of over the top and screen passes. Picking up percentage rating with screens and yardage by a once in 6  over the top pass for long yardage. So for my part I won’t pick on players as long as thy are saddled with this type offense. 

5 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

Bottom line is that Gus has Auburn by the short hairs. He stays and racks up 7 million/year to produce mediocrity. Next year's team has the potential to be one of the worst teams in AU history due to the losses on defense and the entire OL leaving (even though they're not good to begin with). His handling of Gatewood was disgraceful. He lied to that young man by telling him and everyone else how important he was going to be to the team, and then basically shoving him out the door. He gets fired, and he walks away with more money than a lot of us put together will make in a lifetime. It's amazing to me that Nick Saban, who bitched almost ad nauseam about the HUNH offense,  has evolved his offense to where it is one of the SEC's and NCAA's most potent, yet here AU is with the reputed offensive genius, and he seems to be stuck with the mind set that the offense he produced at AU in 2010 and 2013, is still the best and cannot be beaten. He doesn't seem to understand that defenses have adjusted to his offense, but he just keeps plugging it along. 

Yup if we gotta be bad next year the least we can do is hope it’s enough.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Name a single head coach that has all the positive attributes you credited Gus with, yet is also super as an O-coordinator, has proven this as a head coach and will accept the Auburn job. Stop before you name Cristobal, we've been through that. His nine year w/l record of 45-54 is way worse than Gus's.

I’m sure the fans at uat and Clemson are glad your not a fan of their school. Otherwise they would still be with Shulas of the world rather than winning trophies with nick and Dabo. It sad Mickey when all you have is “our coach is crap but we might not find one better so let’s not even attempt to try” I’m just glad your not on my team. I think we should always shoot for the stars. I would rather aim and come up short than to walk around with my tail between my legs all my life. Nobody ever did something great by just hanging around . 

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Missing the point intentionally or not is still missing the point.

Name a single coach that is known for offense or defense that has had a team excel  at the opposite and struggle at their strength.

If all that matters most to you is the perception of the program and not the effectiveness or viability of the program, then I can see why your lead the charge for mediocrity. 

If Gus evolved his offense the way you evolve your arguments and defense of him, then we'd have been undefeated the last 3 years.

Bob Stoops and Oklahoma! You could actually give him credit for the destruction of defenses as a whole in the Big 12.

12 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

Bob Stoops' early Oklahoma teams were great defensively.  If memory serves, they faded after two or three years and had a steady and decided decline.  His last several teams were dreadful defensively, given his reputation.  They fared pretty well on offense during most of his run.

WDE!

Just saw this. You beat me!

I read an article with Stoops were talked about the impact that coaching tempo has on coaching the defense. He said when coaching tempo in practice you can't stop and correct, this negatively effects defensive coaching because under other systems you stop, coach, and correct.

Maybe Bird can give us some more insight on that.

20 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

First happy thanksgiving to all today. Second let’s stop with berating players. 

Who here is berating players?

On 11/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, oracle79 said:

Buyout doesn't drop until the new calendar year starts right? January 2nd would have been a better cutoff date.

That's pretty smart on the part of Gus' agent. With recruiting as it is, this almost guarantees a coach another year.  With the early signing period you gotta get the firing/hiring done in early December.

In case y'all and our AD forgot, Gus Malzahn is 6-15 vs Georgia, LSU and Alabama. That record could go to 6-16 if Bammer beats us AGAIN at home. Do true Auburn fans want to keep a coach with that kind of record against the big 3? I DON'T.

21 minutes ago, Notjeffco said:

That's pretty smart on the part of Gus' agent. With recruiting as it is, this almost guarantees a coach another year.  With the early signing period you gotta get the firing/hiring done in early December.

I think it is December 2nd.

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think it is December 2nd.

You really think it will happen this year? Not that I think its a bad idea but what info would make you think that? 

27 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In case y'all and our AD forgot, Gus Malzahn is 6-15 vs Georgia, LSU and Alabama. That record could go to 6-16 if Bammer beats us AGAIN at home. Do true Auburn fans want to keep a coach with that kind of record against the big 3? I DON'T.

No we don't

Archived