When will it happen?

AUwent

When will it happen?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. I think we will make a head coaching change on December 2, ...

• Past that...oh god.

11 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

You really think it will happen this year? Not that I think its a bad idea but what info would make you think that? 

No I think that it is when the buy out goes down each year I thought. No point in waiting. We need to stop kicking the can down the road on a lot of things but especially this coach.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can a mod please confirm?

I was just stating what people have said in here. Looks like it is December 31st according to this article from 2018. 

Published on October 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM EDT

You've seen the number. Gus Malzahn's buyout is gigantic. If Auburn fires their head coach after this season, they'd owe him about $32 million. But what is Malzahn's buyout in 2019? And throughout the remainder of his seven-year contract?

Scared of losing Malzahn to his alma mater Arkansas last year, Auburn signed the then-fifth-year head coach to a seven-year contract worth $49 million. The deal bumped his average annual salary from $4.725 million (2017) to $7 million. Malzahn's annual salary starts at $6.7 million for 2017 and increases by $100,000 each year, meaning he'd earn $7.3 million in 2024, the final year of his deal -- if he gets there.

Auburn isn't firing Malzahn after the season. But if the Tigers struggle again in 2019, is the buyout substantially lower? Nope. Malzahn's buyout is 75 percent of the remaining value of the contract. After this year (his contract runs Jan. 1 through Dec. 31), there's $42.3 million remaining. Seventy-five percent of that amount is $31.725 million. 

Here's a table of Malzahn's annual salary, remaining balance after that year and the buyout after that year. The buyout assumes, for simplicity's sake, that he'd be fired on Dec. 31 of that year. For example, as noted above, if fired on Dec. 31, 2018, he'd be owed 75 percent of the remaining $42.3 million, or $31.725 million. If fired on Dec. 31, 2019, he'd be owed $26.625 million.

2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was just stating what people have said in here. Looks like it is December 31st according to this article from 2018. 

Published on October 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM EDT

You've seen the number. Gus Malzahn's buyout is gigantic. If Auburn fires their head coach after this season, they'd owe him about $32 million. But what is Malzahn's buyout in 2019? And throughout the remainder of his seven-year contract?

Scared of losing Malzahn to his alma mater Arkansas last year, Auburn signed the then-fifth-year head coach to a seven-year contract worth $49 million. The deal bumped his average annual salary from $4.725 million (2017) to $7 million. Malzahn's annual salary starts at $6.7 million for 2017 and increases by $100,000 each year, meaning he'd earn $7.3 million in 2024, the final year of his deal -- if he gets there.

Auburn isn't firing Malzahn after the season. But if the Tigers struggle again in 2019, is the buyout substantially lower? Nope. Malzahn's buyout is 75 percent of the remaining value of the contract. After this year (his contract runs Jan. 1 through Dec. 31), there's $42.3 million remaining. Seventy-five percent of that amount is $31.725 million. 

Here's a table of Malzahn's annual salary, remaining balance after that year and the buyout after that year. The buyout assumes, for simplicity's sake, that he'd be fired on Dec. 31 of that year. For example, as noted above, if fired on Dec. 31, 2018, he'd be owed 75 percent of the remaining $42.3 million, or $31.725 million. If fired on Dec. 31, 2019, he'd be owed $26.625 million.

2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

This info is correct. 

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

So if we’re stuck with him for more than next year, would hiring a new OL coach be prudent?

Nothing changes on the offensive side of the ball till Gus is gone. The cheapest option is fire Gus ASAP. Like this year. And then elevate Steele and make big time OC and OL coach hires. I was never in the lets make Steele head coach camp but at this point IDGAF. I am just so done with Gus. Anything but him is fine by me.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

So if we’re stuck with him for more than next year, would hiring a new OL coach be prudent?

Had to.  Love him. Actually "chopped broccoli" in the old Coliseum, late 80s. Anyone besides me there? 

images (11).jpeg

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nothing changes on the offensive side of the ball till Gus is gone. The cheapest option is fire Gus ASAP. Like this year. And then elevate Steele and make big time OC and OL coach hires. I was never in the lets make Steele head coach camp but at this point IDGAF. I am just so done with Gus. Anything but him is fine by me.

I’m slowly coming around to this idea. Think about it: if Steele does well, then he does well. If he doesn’t do well after a few years we can move on and CGM’s buyout will be paid off. Win-win.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was never in the lets make Steele head coach camp but at this point IDGAF. I am just so done with Gus. Anything but him is fine by me.

Man, I hear you!  I am pretty much in the same camp, but I just don’t see anything happening for a couple of more years.  We have a laissez faire interim president, an AD who is still trying to figure out where the land mines are and the money for buyouts is just too big.

Frankly, if I was a BOT member  I could not overlook the financial impact of making a change now.  That said I would also cause a scene in a board meeting and call out those who abdicated their fiduciary responsibility to Auburn just so they could puff up their egos. 

26 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I’m slowly coming around to this idea. Think about it: if Steele does well, then he does well. If he doesn’t do well after a few years we can move on and CGM’s buyout will be paid off. Win-win.

We have been beaten down by Gus where even a 61 year old head coach with a terrible head coaching record is a more enticing option than Gus! lol. I completely agree with what you said! You are so right. If he does not work out OR even if he does and he wants to retire you are right the buy out will be paid of fin full by then.

This is my beef ...the buyout doesn’t go down dramatically over the course of a season or two. Heck, it’s 2022 before it’s “low enough” to be practical. However, just as this thread demonstrates, the Auburn fan base is wildly apathetic to the program, and I’d say the vast majority of us are DONE with Gus. 

I understand the sentiment of wanting to keep the guy, because he is a great guy and runs a clean program. He also is a good coach. We don’t get any special favors living in the state with Saban, and we should be more ambitious than 8-4, especially when two of the teams we are chasing (ga and Lsu) did the EXACT thing we are proposing—get rid of a good coach and try to elevate the program to greatness.

Wanna be perennial Tex AM? Ok, keep the guy. I’m moving on.

This weekend I’ll be rooting for Auburn as always, but should we lose...I hope we lose for a greater purpose.

Also, lay off of Bird, or Imma gone bring Kanye and Kim (points to biceps)...or Peaches and Herb...Brittany and Ke$ha...Simon and Garfunkel...or Crosby, Stills and Nash (add a kick).

47 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gus has had trouble attracting top offensive assistants and I dont see that changing after this season. The defensive staff compared to our offensive staff is like varsity compared to junior varsity.

1 minute ago, CR said:

Gus has had trouble attracting top offensive assistants and I dont see that changing after this season. The defensive staff compared to our offensive staff is like varsity compared to junior varsity.

He also does not seek out the best hires on HIS side of the ball. He just hires one of the very few people he is comfortable with. If we hired Caddy and he was not Cadillac freaking Williams and was just some random high school RB coach that hire would of been HEAVILY hated.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

He also does not seek out the best hires on HIS side of the ball. He just hires one of the very few people he is comfortable with. If we hired Caddy and he was not Cadillac freaking Williams and was just some random high school RB coach that hire would of been HEAVILY hated.

Reliable info here said he tried at least twice to hire Dell Mcghee away from UGA and struck out both times. I believe hes viewed as a lame duck coach and Im sure word has spread among coaching circles that he micromanages everyone on offense and assistant coaches are wisely passing up a fat check to protect their future career.

We are stuck with Gus for another year unfortunately Even if we got blasted tomorrow. After that it’s anyone’s guess based on other coaching moves that could happen.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are stuck with Gus for another year unfortunately Even if we got blasted tomorrow. After that it’s anyone’s guess based on other coaching moves that could happen.

So you think next year it’s possible?

Since 2022 (before 12/31) the buyout will be slightly less than what FSU paid (or was supposed to pay) Taggart, I see that being the very latest.

When we pony up 28 mill buyout for Gus, payouts to contracted assistants,  then another 40-50 mill for a new coach and his staff. Not to mention all the upgrades to the facilities needed. Money money money 💰 

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Unless he gets an offer this year too good for him to pass up...for whatever reasons known only to him?

Just curious... if the buyout doesn't become that more manageable until years after 2020...how can we be assured that it's only for one more year? Is the 2020 schedule (still lame to me as our biggest rival games are away next year) that much of a "rationale" to the PTB to wait past 2019? 

Just trying to understand the difference one year makes...

20 minutes ago, CR said:

Reliable info here said he tried at least twice to hire Dell Mcghee away from UGA and struck out both times. I believe hes viewed as a lame duck coach and Im sure word has spread among coaching circles that he micromanages everyone on offense and assistant coaches are wisely passing up a fat check to protect their future career.

Anytime I see Dell McGee on THAT other sideline I get irrationally angry. It just looks so wrong man.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Anytime I see Dell McGee on THAT other sideline I get irrationally angry. It just looks so wrong man.

The sad thing is career wise I think he did the right thing by staying put.

1 minute ago, CR said:

The sad thing is career wise I think he did the right thing by staying put.

I agree.............. So painful to admit that but it is def true.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Heard some other names/programs he tried to dip into from a friend of mine out here. Promised him I'd never give names.

He has heard a mix of what you are referencing. Him constantly being on the chopping block deters many but there is some he is set in ways and reluctant to change discussions also. That he believes his offense works if executed.

53 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Unless he gets an offer this year too good for him to pass up...for whatever reasons known only to him?

Just curious... if the buyout doesn't become that more manageable until years after 2020...how can we be assured that it's only for one more year? Is the 2020 schedule (still lame to me as our biggest rival games are away next year) that much of a "rationale" to the PTB to wait past 2019? 

Just trying to understand the difference one year makes...

From discussions with some people out here it would appear to work in this manner if Gus keeps the same path.

They would have given him 2 full recruiting classes and he went backwards. That is a positive for other coaches.

He has more losses to rivals which is a bad thing, and makes his record against ranked programs (most likely) dip negative more. Coaches understand that and the importance of those games. So the more of those he loses the more they side with his removal and the want for a change.

The PTB considered the schedule and gave him a year to make changes, let his qb grow up, and address needs for 2020. Another positive for potential coaches. They know he was given the chance to do it his way this year and him failing again his way or not making changes will be seen.

Due to these things other coaches will see the fanbase/PTB being more receptive even if they aren't a Saban/Myer/Cristobal etc. Other coaches will have more confidence in the time they are given to develop and produce, longer honeymoon.

Essential one more year of Gus not producing at a high level can make the job more attractive for potential candidates and increase Auburn's chance of landing the one it wants.

Lol, and the tamale recipe is family secret only passed on to the married woman! Even my girlfriend does not know what it is.

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

From discussions with some people out here it would appear to work in this manner if Gus keeps the same path.

They would have given him 2 full recruiting classes and he went backwards. That is a positive for other coaches.

He has more losses to rivals which is a bad thing, and makes his record against ranked programs (most likely) dip negative more. Coaches understand that and the importance of those games. So the more of those he loses the more they side with his removal and the want for a change.

The PTB considered the schedule and gave him a year to make changes, let his qb grow up, and address needs for 2020. Another positive for potential coaches. They know he was given the chance to do it his way this year and him failing again his way or not making changes will be seen.

Due to these things other coaches will see the fanbase/PTB being more receptive even if they aren't a Saban/Myer/Cristobal etc. Other coaches will have more confidence in the time they are given to develop and produce, longer honeymoon.

Essential one more year of Gus not producing at a high level can make the job more attractive for potential candidates and increase Auburn's chance of landing the one it wants.

Lol, and the tamale recipe is family secret only passed on to the married woman! Even my girlfriend does not know what it is.

We are a attractive job because coaches are not blind. They know this is a top 10 job.  We have a great recruiting base. This team has a ton of talent. And we gave Gus 7 years. That is a ton of time in modern football. 

Archived