When will it happen?

AUwent

When will it happen?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. I think we will make a head coaching change on December 2, ...

• Past that...oh god.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...

Bump. Unfortunately he's almost certainly staying no matter how bad the next two weeks are.

So, at the end of 2021, 2, 3, 4, or god forbid, beyond?

If 2021 goes well I can think of a very real scenario that he coaches out the entirety of his contract.  

Also this was a fun read through.  I’m sure a lot of the same folks will be chirping of things don’t go well Saturday.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Bump. Unfortunately he's almost certainly staying no matter how bad the next two weeks are.

So, at the end of 2021, 2, 3, 4, or god forbid, beyond?

If we get boat raced the next two games it may be enough even with COVID to cut the cord finally. But one can only hope... 

32 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

If we get boat raced the next two games it may be enough even with COVID to cut the cord finally. But one can only hope... 

Hope AU loses badly? You don't care anything about our players feelings, do you?

Me, I hope we win the next 25+ games, two national championships and Gus gets another big raise, extension and huge buyout. Anybody that wouldn't like that to happen isn't much of an Auburn fan.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Hope AU loses badly? You don't care anything about our players feelings, do you?

Me, I hope we win the next 25+ games, two national championships and Gus gets another big raise, extension and huge buyout. Anybody that wouldn't like that to happen isn't much of an Auburn fan.

By no means do I hope we lose. I want to win every game trust me come over to my house every Saturday to see. What I meant by saying one can only hope is in reference to the PTB doing what is necessary to finally cut ties with Gustav IF we lose our next two games. Too much back door gossip and no action. I am 100% behind our players and want what is best for them and to me it’s getting someone that gives them the best opportunity to not only win but to be properly developed and become the best player they can be.  

My thought is that Gus finishes this season regardless of what happens and also coaches the entirety of the 2021 season regardless of what happens.  In January of 2022 a decision will be made as to whether he continues as HC or not.  I don’t think 8-4 next year will get it.  Certainly anything less than that and he is done.  

40 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

My thought is that Gus finishes this season regardless of what happens and also coaches the entirety of the 2021 season regardless of what happens.  In January of 2022 a decision will be made as to whether he continues as HC or not.  I don’t think 8-4 next year will get it.  Certainly anything less than that and he is done.  

I think this is a very accurate assessment of the situation, barring the unforeseen.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Ok, say we not only lose by 3+ TD's in the next two games each, but also lose and look badly doing it against Leach and the boys?

What will the excuses be then?

I haven't seen anybody offering excuses now, why would there be any excuses then?

If we lose by 40 points in each of the next three games, AU will change coaches. If we win the next three games by 40 points each, Gus will be around for quite a while. Either could happen, while the likely outcome is somewhere in the middle.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I haven't seen anybody offering excuses now, why would there be any excuses then?

If we lose by 40 points in each of the next three games, AU will change coaches. If we win the next three games by 40 points each, Gus will be around for quite a while. Either could happen, while the likely outcome is somewhere in the middle.

Of course. I'm not talking about the fans. What would be the excuse for keeping Malzahn after the original scenario (which I believe has a much higher probability than the other extreme you offered) from the administration? I disagree that he would be let go, not that he shouldn't be. 

In 2008, Auburn and Tennessee both fired long time coaches.  Since then, Tennessee has been a dumpster fire of losing and failed coaches.  Since then, Auburn ha won a national title and played for a second, won two SEC titles and played for a third. Auburn players have also won a Heisman and Lombardi trophies and we have twice had the national coach of the year.  The only losing season during this time was 2012, the only year Gus was not in Auburn.  Like it or not, Gus is the difference between Auburn and Tennessee since 2008.  Tennessee, Texas, and Michigan are all programs with more historical success than Auburn and who all have bigger stadiums and as good or better facilities who would love to have the success Auburn has had since Gus arrived in 2009 when compared to their recent struggles.  Gus isn't the greatest coach around, but he is better than most out there.  The Romans had a saying "When the gods wish to punish us, they give us what we ask for".  Be careful about wishing away a coach who's never had a losing season, no NCAA trouble, graduates his players, and who has beaten Saban two out of the last three years.  That's all, continue complaining.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Definitely not beating Alabama. Auburn has poor leadership. We’ve beaten this dead horse for months. I don’t think Gus will go anywhere because of said poor leadership. 

For the sake of the program, he needs to be fired on December 13th. 

1 hour ago, im4aual said:

In 2008, Auburn and Tennessee both fired long time coaches.  Since then, Tennessee has been a dumpster fire of losing and failed coaches.  Since then, Auburn ha won a national title and played for a second, won two SEC titles and played for a third. Auburn players have also won a Heisman and Lombardi trophies and we have twice had the national coach of the year.  The only losing season during this time was 2012, the only year Gus was not in Auburn.  Like it or not, Gus is the difference between Auburn and Tennessee since 2008.  Tennessee, Texas, and Michigan are all programs with more historical success than Auburn and who all have bigger stadiums and as good or better facilities who would love to have the success Auburn has had since Gus arrived in 2009 when compared to their recent struggles.  Gus isn't the greatest coach around, but he is better than most out there.  The Romans had a saying "When the gods wish to punish us, they give us what we ask for".  Be careful about wishing away a coach who's never had a losing season, no NCAA trouble, graduates his players, and who has beaten Saban two out of the last three years.  That's all, continue complaining.

Pretty good post with some good points. One exception though: AU did not fire Tunerville in 2008. Tuberville quit. So says AU. So says Tuberville. And Tubs repeated quitting at TT and Cincy.  At AU, Tubs looked at bama with Saban and knew his salad days at AU were over. But other than that, solid post.

2 hours ago, im4aual said:

The only losing season during this time was 2012, the only year Gus was not in Auburn.

I have to ask; do you believe Auburn would have had a winning season in 2012 if Gus was still at Auburn that year?

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have to ask; do you believe Auburn would have had a winning season in 2012 if Gus was still at Auburn that year?

I can't answer for anyone else, but what I think is that if Gus had been HC in 2012, our Tigers would not have gone for zero wins in the SEC. A winning season is another question...

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I can't answer for anyone else, but what I think is that if Gus had been HC in 2012, our Tigers would not have gone for zero wins in the SEC. A winning season is another question...

I always wonder how the last eight years would've gone if the SEC had never expanded. In 2012 we would've gotten Vandy at home. We took them to the wire in their place, I wonder if we would've plucked the victory at home. Still would've been 4-8 at best (FL in Gainesville would've been every bit as ugly as TAMU was), but how the years after would've gone is are far more interesting.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:25 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is a better HEAD COACH than Petrino. Petrino is a much much much better offensive mind and play caller. If Gus would ever get his head out of his own ass and stop being the absolute most maddening stubborn coach alive and hire Petrino as OC and give him TOTAL CONTROL a Petrino passing offense with him as Malzahns OC would be absolutely deadly with our treasure trove of weapons at WR.

Where is Petrino coaching now? Is he working anywhere...

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm praying like crazy that COVID-19 will stay in 2020 as we welcome 2021.

It definitely will be with us in 2021--actually it will almost certainly be with us forever (like most diseases throughout human history)--but I feel we have every reason to expect improvement, and more in '22, and then more in '23.

It won't be this year because of the Pandemic and money.  Next year we may have a very solid O-Line and a lot of key players returning. It could be one of those years where Gus job is online and he has a good year. If has  bad year next year he is gone.

33 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It won't be this year because of the Pandemic and money.  Next year we may have a very solid O-Line and a lot of key players returning. It could be one of those years where Gus job is online and he has a good year. If has  bad year next year he is gone.

A good year is an SEC championship . Period. If he can’t deliver that , then we should know (most should already) he isn’t it. 

40 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It could be one of those years where Gus job is online and he has a good year. If has  bad year next year he is gone.

Doesn't that pretty much describe his entire career here?

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

A good year is an SEC championship . Period. If he can’t deliver that , then we should know (most should already) he isn’t it. 

So when the new guy comes in...how long will he have to deliver an SEC championship? 2 years..4 years..6. Just curious 

Archived