Seems few think we win Saturday

ChltteTiger

AU's defense held UF to 24, LSU to 23, UGA to 21, all well below their scoring averages. We had a chance to win every one of those 3 games and that's why we have a chance in this game. We all know the issue, whether or not our offense can score more than them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy into the AU did this at LSU and Bama did this at Tuscaloosa against LSU. Every game is different. Bama whipped the crap out of Ole Miss, but AU barely beat Ole Miss, and should have lost the game if the officials had called our OL pulling the RB over the goal line, which is a penalty, on that first TD. Don't give me this "Ole Miss had the week off before they played AU." Ole Miss is not a good team. Every game is different. 

Bama knows they have the beat AU to keep their hopes alive to making the 4-team playoffs. On top of that, the SEC knows Bama needs to win to keep those hopes alive. I think most of us believe LSU will beat GA in the SECCG. and that's why ESPN is keeping Bama at #5 so they can just move them on up. The AU D Line will do well against Bama's OL, but I worry about they receivers once they catch the ball. They've shown they can turn a 5-yard gain into a 50 yard TD. And, let's not forget who AU has patrolling the sidelines---Gustav Malzahn. He could be the X-factor, and definitely not in a good way. 

Don't get me wrong--I want AU to win, even if winning this game means Malzahn will most likely be back next year, and that's something I simply cannot fathom. 

I feel about this game same as LSU, Ga .  I think we can win this game.  I thought we would win against Florida .  After coming short 3 times, 1 at home, it is hard to believe the result won’t be the same. Too little too late

36 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

Don't get me wrong--I want AU to win, even if winning this game means Malzahn will most likely be back next year, and that's something I simply cannot fathom. 

This is what troubles most of us. We want the thrill of beating Bama but want Gus to be shown the door right away. Can't have it both ways!

4 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

This is what troubles most of us. We want the thrill of beating Bama but want Gus to be shown the door right away. Can't have it both ways!

If only we could be like 2015 thuga. Go 9-3. Beat our rival. Still fire our under performing coach!! Lol. Merry Christmas to filthy animals like us!!! Wooooo!!!!

36 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Ah...the options...an EIGHTH round...a change (an improved oline, at the very least)...ah, the options...🤣

a-eighth-crusade-pros-cons-kling-mudim-hordes-segng-re-taking-9339549.png

vmqzwoljrbl21.jpg

giphy (1).gif

20 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I definitely think we win it and I really don’t think it will be that close.  If they had Tua I think they would win it easily but when you structure your whole offense around what your QB can do and then have to put a backup in there and completely change what you are doing it usually doesn’t work out very well. Tua is as accurate with fitting the ball in tight widows as I have ever seen.  You can’t plug another guy in and hope to do what he can do.  I expect them to try to run it and throw short passes to those great receivers they have and hope they can break one.  But our D line is as good as there is, the LBs are solid and the secondary is full of good tacklers.  On the other hand their D has a lot of injuries and young guys that will be playing.  I expect us to be able to run the ball enough to keep the pressure off Bo and if we can minimize the mistakes we can score enough to get the win.  

We couldn’t put up 21 on a horrible LSU defense now we’re blowing out Bama?

Hard to believe it’s already Iron Bowl weekend.  It’s said every year but these seasons go by too fast.  That being said I don’t know how many more fire Gus threads I can take.  Maybe it is a good thing the season is about over and we can turn to the basketball and then baseball teams. 

4 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

AU's defense held UF to 24, LSU to 23, UGA to 21, all well below their scoring averages.

And Auburn offense scored less in every one of those games = losses. 😭

I will be pulling for Auburn to win every single play -- every defensive play and every offensive play. My body pumps Tiger blood through my veins.

1. The Bama offense is mostly short passes to their 4 NFL-ready, spectacular WRs who evade and break tackles for lots of big gains.
2. Bama runs successfully when the opponent is reeling from the onslaught of completed passes.
3. Jones can probably complete short passes, and some of them will surely go for sizable gains. Bama will score TDs.
4. Auburn offense (I really don't want to spell out the details).
5. For the first time in many years, Bama's field goal kicker is better than Auburn's.

I'll watch to cheer my Tigers. I'm prepared (sorta) for the loss, but hoping for the jubilation of a win!

This Iron Bowl has a very strange feel, one that I don´t recall before. I would hate to have to bet money on this game.

With Bama´s QB being an unknown commodity, and AU´s being wildly up-and-down, it´s anybody´s guess. 

The bottom line is I am not sure how long we can stop Bama´s receiving corp. They will hammer AU with short passes designed to neutralize our pass rush and let their receivers run for yards after the catch. And I´m not sure we can contain them all day unless our offense can get first downs and keep the defense off the field.

If we play like we did against Georgia, we will lose. But I am hoping that this will be the game where Nix steps up and shows Gus made the right decision back in August.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, IronMan70 said:

AU's defense held UF to 24, LSU to 23, UGA to 21, all well below their scoring averages. We had a chance to win every one of those 3 games and that's why we have a chance in this game. We all know the issue, whether or not our offense can score more than them.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, AURex said:

And Auburn offense scored less in every one of those games = losses. 😭

That's what I meant by the last two sentences you left out, lol.  ;D

I think the key is if the Refs will call holding on their first couple of drives.  If they do then our DL will be able to shut them down.  If not, then their OL will know it's open season and Mac will have all the time in the world to pick us apart, or they can generate a long sustained drive running whenever they want.  If they have one or no offensive holding calls, then Nix will have to be on target with every deep pass...

On 11/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, wde21 said:

I think we win on Saturday!  I expect Derrick and Marlon to make their qb very uncomfortable. I am expecting a game similar to 2017. War Eagle!

That would be nice. Here is hoping it happens! WDE!!

I actually think as a passer Jones is probably a better passer and certainly not as risky. What Tua gave them was his athleticism. He could extend a play and make A great throw. He also could hurt you with his run . I think what folks fail to understand especially against a defense like Auburn, Jones won’t have a lot of time. I think Tua made uat’s OL look better than they were. But remember a lot of uat’s passing yardage came after the catch. They have some elusive WRs that are home run threats every time they catch the ball. Our DBs have to have a great game for us to win today. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Mac-Jones-80433/

Keep in mind that 247 always has a weird, pro-bama twist in their recruiting rankings. 

And this is from ESPN:

"STRENGTHS: Smart kid who consistently finds the mismatch. Poised in the pocket and shows very good feet and balance. Puts the ball in the right spot and lets his receivers run after the catch. Very athletic and can gain chunks of yards with his feet. ... AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: On the shorter side and will need to add serious bulk. Does not have a cannon for an arm and he tends to float it on deeper passes. ... BOTTOM LINE: Jones lacks size and arm strength, but he makes up for it with smarts, poise, moxy and athleticism. Overall, there is a lot to like about him and he has a chance to eventually start for a Power-5 team."

Jones is a downgrade in every way.

9 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Mac-Jones-80433/

Keep in mind that 247 always has a weird, pro-bama twist in their recruiting rankings. 

And this is from ESPN:

"STRENGTHS: Smart kid who consistently finds the mismatch. Poised in the pocket and shows very good feet and balance. Puts the ball in the right spot and lets his receivers run after the catch. Very athletic and can gain chunks of yards with his feet. ... AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: On the shorter side and will need to add serious bulk. Does not have a cannon for an arm and he tends to float it on deeper passes. ... BOTTOM LINE: Jones lacks size and arm strength, but he makes up for it with smarts, poise, moxy and athleticism. Overall, there is a lot to like about him and he has a chance to eventually start for a Power-5 team."

Jones is a downgrade in every way.

Saw some of his highlights. He more of a game manager than a Tua or Burrow. He throws a lot of ducks and isn’t very mobile 

15 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Hard to believe it’s already Iron Bowl weekend.  It’s said every year but these seasons go by too fast.  That being said I don’t know how many more fire Gus threads I can take.  Maybe it is a good thing the season is about over and we can turn to the basketball and then baseball teams. 

Somehow I don't think the heat will subside after our bowl game. Unless we beat Bama and our bowl opponent.

13 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

If we play like we did against Georgia, we will lose. But I am hoping that this will be the game where Nix steps up and shows Gus made the right decision back in August.

I don't think Gus made a wrong decision in August (QB1 vs QB2). I think he mishandled Joey as QB2 though. Heck everyone knows that.

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

I don't think Gus made a wrong decision in August (QB1 vs QB2). I think he mishandled Joey as QB2 though. Heck everyone knows that.

Quite frankly, I disagree. If you overplay your backup, your starter may start to feel extra pressure to perform, fearing that they might be benched. If Joey got more reps, Bo may have lost confidence. You want competition in the offseason, but, once you get to your season, you should generally go with your starter. Gus was right to pick Bo. He was right to use Joey situationally. And he was right to stick with Bo when the "using Joey situationally" stuff wasn't working. Sucks that Joey left, but it was always going to happen the second Bo was announced as the starter. His situational plays weren't working all that well, and he was clearly (and rightfully) fading into the background. The only thing it costs us is that we now don't have a capable backup to finish the year. Shouldn't matter though. Today, we have no reason to hold back Bo. This game is more important than any bowl game we're going to play in. 

18 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Well the money is on getting Bama in the playoff so I’m sure we’ll lose smh. They don’t want a Utah in and doubt they will beat Oregon. Oklahoma has a slim chance.

if ga wins today  bama is out period according to the talking heads on the pregame show. i think this gives us a small advantage besides having an awesome d.........

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if ga wins today  bama is out period according to the talking heads on the pregame show. i think this gives us a small advantage besides having an awesome d.........

Georgia is going to lose to LSU. They’ll have two losses

Archived