Rushing the field

AuCivilEng1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big fan of field storming as a tradition. Auburn has many great gameday traditions (Tiger Walk, Rolling Toomers) that don't need to be added to as they already make for a uniquely Auburn experience. 

I get the apprehension, but everybody lighten up. It's a cool new tradition IMO. The field won't be used (other than Super 6 every other year) for 8 months. Might as well let the students have fun on the field. 

Screenshot_20191201-125154_Gallery.jpg

Personally, I felt it ended up as something of an (perhaps) unintended tribute to Rod Bartlett. When I saw it, it made me think of Kick Six & Rod and it literally gave me goosebumps. I have no problem at all with it. (And I'm old!)

8 hours ago, auburnphan said:

We have a tradition of celebrating at Toomers after wins. Something that no other school really does.  In the history of storming the field at Auburn we all know this is the weakest one.   Why not do it after every SEC win, or 2 yrs ago!

Give it time and might very well be the case. If there's anything humans are capable of, it's lowering bars fast. 

13 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Forgive me if there is another thread about this. I wanted to know what everyone’s thoughts were on this new “tradition”. I hate it. It’s embarrassing watching fans get stuck in the shrubs, hurt themselves, and destroy the hard work that is put into making PDF look great. I get the Kick 6 field rush. It was an intense game with huge stakes and a once in a lifetime finish. I feel like people want to relive that moment, who weren’t there to rush the field for the kick 6 and you just can’t replicate that night. Auburn fans need to realize that they’re costing the university time and money when they storm the field and start ripping apart the shrubs. Rant over! 

Yeah, I didn't like the tearing up the shrubs part either. Rushing the field ? Ok that's fine, that's up to them and I'm sure they had fun out there. Like you though, I didn't think it was a rush the field game either. Just leave the shrubs alone. 

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So if we beat Miss St on a fourth down stop or return an interception against Jacksonville St, we should rush the field? 😆

No, that sounds more stressful than fun and exciting.  I love that our fans and players find so much joy and don’t have an “unimpressed” attitude.

Oh who cares. The only people I really ever see complain about it are Auburn and Alabama fans. Fans across the nation appreciates the pageantry behind celebrating a win over their rival. Let's stop throwing toilet paper into trees while we're at it....

14 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Forgive me if there is another thread about this. I wanted to know what everyone’s thoughts were on this new “tradition”. I hate it. It’s embarrassing watching fans get stuck in the shrubs, hurt themselves, and destroy the hard work that is put into making PDF look great. I get the Kick 6 field rush. It was an intense game with huge stakes and a once in a lifetime finish. I feel like people want to relive that moment, who weren’t there to rush the field for the kick 6 and you just can’t replicate that night. Auburn fans need to realize that they’re costing the university time and money when they storm the field and start ripping apart the shrubs. Rant over! 

I'm OK with it as long as its done only for the bammer game.  Why, you ask?  Because it insults their sensibilities and they really hate it when we do it.  I need no other reason...

Iron Bowl ticket- $360

Rushing the field after the Iron Bowl- $250,000. 

Beating Alabama and dashing their playoff hopes- Priceless

I’m not a fan of it and I wouldn’t do it but I wouldn’t stand in anyone’s way if they wanted to.

i would however charge everyone on the field, without credentials or a helmet, a fine to offset the $250k.  

Echoing several others, rushing the field = fine with it.

Looking stupid by getting stuck in the hedges, then celebrating with hedge branches hoisted high as some sort of trophy = no bueno.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:09 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Forgive me if there is another thread about this. I wanted to know what everyone’s thoughts were on this new “tradition”. I hate it. It’s embarrassing watching fans get stuck in the shrubs, hurt themselves, and destroy the hard work that is put into making PDF look great.

We are all going to hate it when an opponent's staffer or player gets injured in one of these events. It will bring more bad publicity for Auburn University, and denigrate the good that the football team will have done.

A possible solution would be to allow a certain amount of time for the opponents to clear the field and then allow fans to come on the field and celebrate with the team. Impose a ($1000) fine for anyone violating this rule.

Wow 250k. I didn’t realize this was our third violation. I was thinking 50k. Still we made that in Concessions Saturday. I hope the shrubs are not damaged to badly but have to roll my eyes at the colleges kids walking around town with pieces of it as they were heading into the bars Saturday night. Why take our own hedges?  I thought we only did this in Athens. 

I hate one of the messages it sends, which is that bama is still Goliath and we're still David. Screw that LBS crap. We're Auburn...

...but what I realized Sunday morning is that it also sends other messages. Especially to our players. They *love* it. 

And, perhaps more importantly, those folks bought tickets to the game and they didn't do anything to harm other fans or crap on their good time. So I have no reason to judge.

Put me in the fuddy duddy crowd as not a fan of storming the field. Storming the field should be saved for truly monumental wins like the kick 6. If the players want to celebrate with the fans then they should go up in the stands. This does not need to become a tradition for every time we beat a rival 

1 hour ago, Auburn02 said:

Echoing several others, rushing the field = fine with it.

Looking stupid by getting stuck in the hedges, then celebrating with hedge branches hoisted high as some sort of trophy = no bueno.

I see what you did, whether on purpose or accidentally, nice job there. 

Archived