Reality check Malzahn among college football’s best

aubiefifty

i am not sure i agree with all of this but he makes some great points........

Thursday was the day everyone remembered why they were thankful. But Friday has become the day symbolizing everything we take for granted.

So let’s join the crowds.

Although, rather than get into a fist fight over a big screen TV, let’s talk about something else people take for granted: having a top-shelf college football coach.

Gus Malzahn is nearing the conclusion of his seventh season as head football coach at Auburn University. During that time, Malzahn has led the Tigers to an SEC championship, two division titles and a national championship game with a No. 2 final ranking.

If you enjoy traveling to bowl games, Malzahn has those down pat. He has led Auburn to seven consecutive bowl games. Four of those bowl games have been of the New Year’s Day variety.

One of the most common, yet fundamental, clichés in college football is that recruiting is the lifeblood of every program. According to 247 Sports, Malzahn has brought in a top 10 recruiting class in all but one of his seasons as Auburn’s head coach. And his current class is ranked No. 9 in the 247 Sports team rankings.

The stark reality is that the air is thin where Malzahn resides.

He’s one of only 10 active FBS coaches who have played in a national championship game. He’s the only current SEC coach — who doesn’t require an interpreter — to have beaten Nick Saban. Until November 9, he was the only coach in the SEC to have beaten Saban, at all. Malzahn has two wins against the Crimson Tide’s head man just as Dabo Swinney and the retired Urban Meyer also hold a pair each. Only Les Miles has more during Saban’s time at Alabama.

The player production numbers are impressive, too.

Malzahn coached two 1,000-yard rushers during the 2013 season in Tre Mason and Nick Marshall. In all, he’s had five 1,000-yard rushers during his time leading Auburn and fifteen overall during the entirety of his coaching career.

While the chattering class of college football suspiciously eyes the strength of schedule for some of the upper-echelon teams like Alabama and Clemson, that has never been a concern for Malzahn’s Tigers. In fact, Auburn appears to have the most difficult schedule of any program in the country during his seven-year stint as head coach.

His teams have faced 33 ranked opponents. He’s looked across the field and seen a top 10 team 24 times. Six times he’s seen the no. 1 team in the country on the other sideline. Eleven times he’s seen a top 3 team. In 2016, the Tigers were the only team to face the No. 1 and No. 2 teams. In 2017, Auburn matched up against three of the four college football playoff teams, a total of four times, while earning two wins. Most coaches never experience this many elite matchups during long careers in college football.

College and Magnolia offered an insightful breakdown of the gauntlet the Malzahn-coached Tigers have run during his tenure. Spoiler alert: it is possibly the toughest run of games ever.

Many of those games resulted in big wins under Malzahn. He has coached Auburn to three wins against the No. 1 team, including double-digit victories against Alabama and Georgia in 2017. In all, he’s had seven wins against top 10 teams.

It’s no wonder Malzahn’s name continues to pop up in conversations when there’s a coaching vacancy. USA Today columnist Dan Wolken opined a few weeks ago that Florida State should go all-in to hire Malzahn. This is saying a lot for an FSU program that has won three national championships all within the last 25 years.

These kind of “what-ifs” are fun for fans and help generate content even if they won’t ever happen. When athletic directors at places like Florida State make a move, they have to keep in mind who they can get.

It’s not Malzahn. The reason why?

Auburn’s got their guy.

Tim Howe is an owner of Yellowhammer Multimedia

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been as frustrated as most everyone with some puzzling offensive execution, and lack of consistent OL play.  And off and on the Gus Bus more times than I will ever admit.  But when you look realistically at the results, I just don't see what other coach out there would have matched the success he's had against the toughest schedule in the nation over the past 7 years. Certainly no else has succeeded against Saban like he has.  And to take a risk right now, rebuilding with  an unknown coach, when it's apparent the Saban era is coming to an end, would be just the Auburn, shooting-yourself-in-the-foot thing to do.  I think if Auburn gets behind Gus and doesn't let the negative talk ruin our recruiting, we will have a great shot over the next 5-7 years to consistently out perform Bama, and put a team or two or three  into the Playoffs.

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

He’s the only current SEC coach — who doesn’t require an interpreter — to have beaten Nick Saban.

Now that's funny. 

Outside media always suggests we want him gone for irrational reasons. The guy wants a dominant OL while crippling the OL recruits we can entertain. He gets elite passing QBs and asks them to adopt a run dimension and to absorb dozens and dozens of hits... instead of just getting run first guys 

I don’t think it’s been irrational to want Gus gone for 4 years now, but obviously if he could change that would be the most preferable route

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Outside media always suggests we want him gone for irrational reasons. The guy wants a dominant OL while crippling the OL recruits we can entertain. He gets elite passing QBs and asks them to adopt a run dimension and to absorb dozens and dozens of hits... instead of just getting run first guys 

I don’t think it’s been irrational to want Gus gone for 4 years now, but obviously if he could change that would be the most preferable route

This. My biggest gripe against Gus isn't against his coaching ability. I think Grimes needs to be canned yesterday and a stud OL coach and recruiter (Jeff Grimes comes to mind) needs to be hired. This would solve A LOT of everyone's issues with Malzahn imo. Bring in a better O-line and quarterback/running back play improves tremendously. Our O-line has been horribly crippling to our success this year.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not sure i agree with all of this but he makes some great points........

Thursday was the day everyone remembered why they were thankful. But Friday has become the day symbolizing everything we take for granted.

So let’s join the crowds.

Although, rather than get into a fist fight over a big screen TV, let’s talk about something else people take for granted: having a top-shelf college football coach.

Gus Malzahn is nearing the conclusion of his seventh season as head football coach at Auburn University. During that time, Malzahn has led the Tigers to an SEC championship, two division titles and a national championship game with a No. 2 final ranking.

If you enjoy traveling to bowl games, Malzahn has those down pat. He has led Auburn to seven consecutive bowl games. Four of those bowl games have been of the New Year’s Day variety.

One of the most common, yet fundamental, clichés in college football is that recruiting is the lifeblood of every program. According to 247 Sports, Malzahn has brought in a top 10 recruiting class in all but one of his seasons as Auburn’s head coach. And his current class is ranked No. 9 in the 247 Sports team rankings.

The stark reality is that the air is thin where Malzahn resides.

He’s one of only 10 active FBS coaches who have played in a national championship game. He’s the only current SEC coach — who doesn’t require an interpreter — to have beaten Nick Saban. Until November 9, he was the only coach in the SEC to have beaten Saban, at all. Malzahn has two wins against the Crimson Tide’s head man just as Dabo Swinney and the retired Urban Meyer also hold a pair each. Only Les Miles has more during Saban’s time at Alabama.

The player production numbers are impressive, too.

Malzahn coached two 1,000-yard rushers during the 2013 season in Tre Mason and Nick Marshall. In all, he’s had five 1,000-yard rushers during his time leading Auburn and fifteen overall during the entirety of his coaching career.

While the chattering class of college football suspiciously eyes the strength of schedule for some of the upper-echelon teams like Alabama and Clemson, that has never been a concern for Malzahn’s Tigers. In fact, Auburn appears to have the most difficult schedule of any program in the country during his seven-year stint as head coach.

His teams have faced 33 ranked opponents. He’s looked across the field and seen a top 10 team 24 times. Six times he’s seen the no. 1 team in the country on the other sideline. Eleven times he’s seen a top 3 team. In 2016, the Tigers were the only team to face the No. 1 and No. 2 teams. In 2017, Auburn matched up against three of the four college football playoff teams, a total of four times, while earning two wins. Most coaches never experience this many elite matchups during long careers in college football.

College and Magnolia offered an insightful breakdown of the gauntlet the Malzahn-coached Tigers have run during his tenure. Spoiler alert: it is possibly the toughest run of games ever.

Many of those games resulted in big wins under Malzahn. He has coached Auburn to three wins against the No. 1 team, including double-digit victories against Alabama and Georgia in 2017. In all, he’s had seven wins against top 10 teams.

It’s no wonder Malzahn’s name continues to pop up in conversations when there’s a coaching vacancy. USA Today columnist Dan Wolken opined a few weeks ago that Florida State should go all-in to hire Malzahn. This is saying a lot for an FSU program that has won three national championships all within the last 25 years.

These kind of “what-ifs” are fun for fans and help generate content even if they won’t ever happen. When athletic directors at places like Florida State make a move, they have to keep in mind who they can get.

It’s not Malzahn. The reason why?

Auburn’s got their guy.

Tim Howe is an owner of Yellowhammer Multimedia

FINALLY!! Some positive recognition of what Gus has done for us. Yesterday's play call to beat bama was a stroke of genius IMO and left  that little man across the state with egg all over his face, not fair my ass.  I don't know of any other coach in the heat of battle that could have come up with the scheme to  win the game that Gus did. To all you Gus bashers on here, be careful what you wish for!!! Thanks Gus!

WDE!!!!

Amazing how this 1 game suddenly justifies years of big game offensive ineptness. Gus has supposedly turned the corner multiple times during his AU career, but he always reverts to the norm. And AU only had 354 yds of offense yesterday, a nice showing but hardly an explosion. These big wins drop out of the sky but never lead to consistent long termsuccess.

1 game doesn’t justify years worth of inconsistent play. I am happy for the Auburn family but there is definitely justification for critiquing 

While this is a great win for GCM consistency is what he is lacking. If he can consistently run a offense that can average 30 + points a game the heat will dissolve. I have been disappointed too many times to believe in CGM rifgt now.

Gus has done admirably against Saban and the Tide. Now if he can get LSU and Georgia figured out I would gladly buy a seat on the bus but for now I'll just watch it go by. Auburn can't be happy just beating Alabama because it's not the '70s any longer, thank you Pat Dye. I will be happy when they are home and we're in the playoffs. 

The truth always lies somewhere in the middle.  Gus needs to be more consistent, less stubborn, and more focused. He needs to make better choices with personnel. I’ll forever hold Joey against him. But we also cannot ignore the fact that other teams have good or better talent and good coaching.  We will not win them all. Ask Nick Saban.  We certainly should strive to win them all. Also, see what it does to the team effort and confidence when the fans are fully and LOUDLY supporting them. 💯 behind them. It makes a difference. We will see what happens going forward. As always, I’m cautiously optimistic. 

5 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

The truth always lies somewhere in the middle.  Gus needs to be more consistent, less stubborn, and more focused. He needs to make better choices with personnel. I’ll forever hold Joey against him. But we also cannot ignore the fact that other teams have good or better talent and good coaching.  We will not win them all. Ask Nick Saban.  We certainly should strive to win them all. Also, see what it does to the team effort and confidence when the fans are fully and LOUDLY supporting them. 💯 behind them. It makes a difference. We will see what happens going forward. As always, I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Gus has called some great games in his career.  He has also called some absolute stinkers.  That bothers me less than the way he fails to recruit and develop to need on the offensive side of the ball.  We're in a hole that will take 2-3 recruiting classes to back fill at OL and QB.  Unless there is some absolutely out of the blue change we are failing to meet needs at OL and QB again in this recruiting class.  We can't keep missing on the Justin Ross/George Pickens type WRs every class.  I'll give a hat tip to Caddy for finally pulling RB recruiting back to where it needs to be with Tank and the 2021 kid.  

I'm very happy we won yesterday but it doesn't mean Gus is any different of a HC than the day before.

Articles like this only justify expectations. So if he is one of the best , I am expecting some sort of a playoff appearance. Grateful for his NC appearance but he has been coaching longer in the SEC than his rival coaches and it looks like both will have had a legit playoff appearance before him .

If Gus would always coach like he did last night, I would be fine with him. Even had they lost, I would have been ok. He played to win at every point even at the end. That’s what I want. That said remember he was 2 of 5 against the big boys. The defense this year by uat is one of the worst I’ve seen while Nick has been there. Had Gus played that way against the three we loss too we would b in the SEC game and CFP as well. That’s what make Nick successful. He plays to win against anyone.  Gus to often plays to not lose. Plays scared . That’s why he loses games he shouldn’t . That’s also why he wins when his job is on the line. He needs to learn to coach like his game is on the line every game. The final thing is he needs to play to win even with his staff. It’s good to be friendly but remember he hired them to win ballgames and recruit. If they are not sucessful you have to be willing that replace them. The team has to be more valuable to you than your personal friend. 

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

Now that's funny. 

Lol I don't know? Is it good or bad that I understand Coach O perfectly..........Damn you south MS😂

4 hours ago, DAG said:

1 game doesn’t justify years worth of inconsistent play. I am happy for the Auburn family but there is definitely justification for critiquing 

Thank you. LSU, Tennessee, etc.. still fresh in my mind. Saturday was special but it doesn’t excuse the pathetic offensive play calling we have become accustom to.  

The problem is we keep wanting to say Gus ius a bad coach or Gus is a good coach. rather black and white. What if we were to say Gus is a on the scale of 1 to 10 coach? wouldn't that give us more flexibility. Gus is a 7.5 coach

Alabama has not beaten anybody this year inside of the top 25, their 2 looses happens to be to the only 2 teams with a heart beat. Saban knew on Tuesday that this game could have this out come, as for people screaming for a new offensive line coach please, I don't care who that person maybe under Gus, we will have the same results. The offense itself is the problem, everybody knows what's coming....  

38 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Thank you. LSU, Tennessee, etc.. still fresh in my mind. Saturday was special but it doesn’t excuse the pathetic offensive play calling we have become accustom to.  

Correct.

It just means it can be done. The fans need to stop making excuses about talent and understand we absolutely could’ve been a playoff team this year. We have a better chance next year.

gus won himself another year. and i will enjoy the hell out of this game for a long time. that being said i have high expectations of at least nine but more wins per season. eleven wins a season would give him two games to screw up or lose.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Not disputing your opinion at all, but the way this reads it was written prior to that 1 win. It says 2 wins vs Saban like Swinney and Meyer. He’s now got 3 wins, matching only Miles.

edit: I don’t see a date either.

Archived