Reality check Malzahn among college football’s best

aubiefifty

On 12/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

If Gus would always coach like he did last night, I would be fine with him. Even had they lost, I would have been ok. He played to win at every point even at the end. That’s what I want. That said remember he was 2 of 5 against the big boys. The defense this year by uat is one of the worst I’ve seen while Nick has been there. Had Gus played that way against the three we loss too we would b in the SEC game and CFP as well. That’s what make Nick successful. He plays to win against anyone.  Gus to often plays to not lose. Plays scared . That’s why he loses games he shouldn’t . That’s also why he wins when his job is on the line. He needs to learn to coach like his game is on the line every game. The final thing is he needs to play to win even with his staff. It’s good to be friendly but remember he hired them to win ballgames and recruit. If they are not sucessful you have to be willing that replace them. The team has to be more valuable to you than your personal friend. 

I would say the players executing at the level they did last night helped also, no turnovers from Nix, players sealing the edge, opening holes, and catching the damn ball helped as well. Schematically it was a better called game but execution by the players especially on offense was terrific.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I would say the players executing at the level they did last night helped also, no turnovers from Nix, players sealing the edge, opening holes, and catching the damn ball helped as well. Schematically it was a better called game but execution by the players especially on offense was terrific.

Players read their coach. When the coach plays scared the players play scared. Three quarters in the uga game were played and coached with ultimate caution. Once we down 3 TDs going into the fourth Gus decided to go wild and the team reacted that way. I said this before and i will say it again, Bo plays better when he plays wide open. His throws are better and his instincts are better. Even when we jumped out to a lead Gus didn’t  take his foot off the gas. The defense played well. Uat probably has the best WR core in the country. Fortunately for us most of them are headed for the NFL. We will have big gaps in defense to fill next year and for all those that fussed about this offensive line you’ll see early next year they weren’t as bad as you thought compared  to what we have. I’m hoping Gus can pull one or two grad transfers OLs in this summer or even spring . Nothing against the guys that we have just not a lot of playing time there. Anyways as I said if Gus will listen up and play like he did Saturday then he will be better. Also, he needs to be willing to listen to Dilly and take a look at other offenses. He can compliment his offense with some outside ideas. Let’s see how we do in the bowl game and use some of the younger guys. A good win there can be a big plus for next year.

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Don't we have the #1 and #2 JUCO Oline guys coming in the spring?

I think your right but I still would like a grad transfer from a power 5 team to take control of things. 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, CR said:

Amazing how this 1 game suddenly justifies years of big game offensive ineptness. Gus has supposedly turned the corner multiple times during his AU career, but he always reverts to the norm. And AU only had 354 yds of offense yesterday, a nice showing but hardly an explosion. These big wins drop out of the sky but never lead to consistent long termsuccess.

Exactly.... Everybody's happy now but in the back of everybody's minds we know what will happen next year. No Derrick or Marlon...New o-line. Possibly same OL coach. Same ole BS. Who knows how long this has delayed the inevitable. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that our seniors went out the right way but I'm definitely not thrilled about the future. The cycle continues.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, tbone4jc said:

While this is a great win for GCM consistency is what he is lacking. If he can consistently run a offense that can average 30 + points a game the heat will dissolve. I have been disappointed too many times to believe in CGM rifgt now.

Not even that...How about consistently call a game plan that doesn't make us lose our minds. Coaches make mistakes all the time but this stuff is asinine. Was talking to a bammer friend of mine and he talked about how though the game didn't go as he expected of course he's glad that Malzahn will still be here...Telling...

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Exactly.... Everybody's happy now but in the back of everybody's minds we know what will happen next year. No Derrick or Marlon...New o-line. Possibly same OL coach. Same ole BS. Who knows how long this has delayed the inevitable. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that our seniors went out the right way but I'm definitely not thrilled about the future. The cycle continues.

WE need to take advantage of a easier schedule than usual for us and get to 9 wins. And yah it is weird to say next year is "easier" than usual when we have to go to Athens which has been the worst place for us to play besides Baton Rouge the past 15-20 years. If we win all the games we should that gets us to 8 wins. If we win the TAMU game at home that gets us to 9 wins. These are the type of seasons where we MUST get to 9 wins when the opportunity is there for the taking. Who knows? We could even get to 10 wins depending on how good the next LSU qb is. The 2020 season is so paramount. The 2021 recruiting class has the chance to be one of the best ever on paper in Auburn history. We need to continue this momentum on to the bowl game with a W and of course next season.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WE need to take advantage of a easier schedule than usual for us and get to 9 wins. And yah it is weird to say next year is "easier" than usual when we have to go to Athens which has been the worst place for us to play besides Baton Rouge the past 15-20 years. If we win all the games we should that gets us to 8 wins. If we win the TAMU game at home that gets us to 9 wins. These are the type of seasons where we MUST get to 9 wins when the opportunity is there for the taking. Who knows? We could even get to 10 wins depending on how good the next LSU qb is. The 2020 season is so paramount. The 2021 recruiting class has the chance to be one of the best ever on paper in Auburn history. We need to continue this momentum on to the bowl game with a W and of course next season.

He has squeezed all optimism out of me. I have no reason to believe that we win consistently enough to do any of that. I don't care who LSU has at QB.

He has us on the precipice. I think the frustration with Malzahn lies with the fact that for 4 straight seasons now, we’ve been 3-4 games of semi-competent offensive play calling and execution away from being in the playoffs every single year.

6 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Gus called a comparable game against Florida, terrible execution from the passing game (it’s on Gus that he didn’t shake that up). UGA game is the one I’d say, “this is on Gus” 

47 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

He has squeezed all optimism out of me. I have no reason to believe that we win consistently enough to do any of that. I don't care who LSU has at QB.

You do not need to be optimistic. I am not optimistic. Not after falling for it in 2017. I just know what has to be done for the 2021 recruiting class to be as special as it can and SHOULD be. I just laid out the facts.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You do not need to be optimistic. I am not optimistic. Not after falling for it in 2017. I just know what has to be done for the 2021 recruiting class to be as special as it can and SHOULD be. I just laid out the facts.

I don’t like it when your posts aren’t in ALL CAPS!!!!  

I feel like you’re too calm. 😂

On 12/1/2019 at 12:59 PM, Slammer1 said:

FINALLY!! Some positive recognition of what Gus has done for us. Yesterday's play call to beat bama was a stroke of genius IMO and left  that little man across the state with egg all over his face, not fair my ass.  I don't know of any other coach in the heat of battle that could have come up with the scheme to  win the game that Gus did. To all you Gus bashers on here, be careful what you wish for!!! Thanks Gus!

WDE!!!!

I'll be straight up honest with you Slammer.  I've wanted him gone for years + a few others on his staff over the years.  BUT when I saw the push for Kevin Steele to take over the position, I completely changed my tune.  I was slammed in the face with "be careful what you wish for" and I've decided to let the thing play out how ever it plays because experimenting with KS is risky as hell.

Beating Bama leaves a massive hangover of positive emotions. lol A great victory against Bama doesn't make me forget the glaring issues we have year in and year out though. Those issues just so happen to hinder the "good to great" transition.  

With that said, going back to work this week was so refreshing because of that win. War Eagle! 

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus called a comparable game against Florida, terrible execution from the passing game (it’s on Gus that he didn’t shake that up). UGA game is the one I’d say, “this is on Gus” 

The int Nix through in the end zone at UF was a big miss. Gus said he had his check down in Miller who had a clear path for a potential touchdown, he missed it but Gus felt confident that if he will not miss that read again. It was very easy read but he forced along with a few other throws this season. Auburn fights back in the UGA game and Nix has a throw most QBS have made since grade school and misses Joiner in stride. Yes the first 3 qtr were trash but a lot that was Gus but it was also UGA - they are stout defensively. A little bit better execution from the QB spot and we are 11-1/10-2 and potentially in the playoff. 

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Not even that...How about consistently call a game plan that doesn't make us lose our minds. Coaches make mistakes all the time but this stuff is asinine. Was talking to a bammer friend of mine and he talked about how though the game didn't go as he expected of course he's glad that Malzahn will still be here...Telling...

Don't believe a bammer. Like it or not CGM is a thorn in little nikki's eye . 3-4 against what could be one of the greatest run a college football team has had in modern history. I'm sure saban wants to be rid of CGM more than any other

Plenty of good thoughts here.

One quick one - 

It seems like, seems like to me, that Gus is in a foreign country from Jan - Sept 1st,  flies in and needs several games to figure out who his personnel is.     How is this possible every year?

After 7 yrs, how does he fall into the same ruts of being so predictable from the second QTR until the 55th minute of the game?  

those are my two issues and I believe those are the only two issues that cost us games (that we should have won, or could have won).

On 12/1/2019 at 6:20 PM, eaglenest said:

Alabama has not beaten anybody this year inside of the top 25, their 2 looses happens to be to the only 2 teams with a heart beat. Saban knew on Tuesday that this game could have this out come, as for people screaming for a new offensive line coach please, I don't care who that person maybe under Gus, we will have the same results. The offense itself is the problem, everybody knows what's coming....  

And remember give up a bunch of points to USCe. I said back-in the summer this would be one of nicks worst teams. They cold have lost more if a lot for sec teams weren’t having a down year also. They would get clobbered by Ohio St.,Clemson, uga, LSU ( remember they played them at uat) and probably Utah and Oklahoma. 

5 hours ago, keesler said:

I'll be straight up honest with you Slammer.  I've wanted him gone for years + a few others on his staff over the years.  BUT when I saw the push for Kevin Steele to take over the position, I completely changed my tune.  I was slammed in the face with "be careful what you wish for" and I've decided to let the thing play out how ever it plays because experimenting with KS is risky as hell.

JMO but the fact that so many people on this board were pulling for KS to the next coach kind of gave me a hint that many posters have a very limited exposure to the college football world.   

Watch any game end to end and you see coaches outsmarting themselves .....running predictable plays, calling third and one right up the middle, etc. etc.  AU has been the beneficiary of some of that coaching opposition …..even from the master NS.    JMO but KS is a good but not exceptional DC....currently living off a couple first round NFL draft picks but still allowing opponents to convert 3rd and long plays over and over....and allowing at least one...and sometimes more, total break away TDs each game.  

Bold print above in your post:     your smartest thought of the year....:)

7 hours ago, keesler said:

I've just accepted that any coaching move has risks no matter who it is.

3 years ago if looked at the LSU, Baylor, and Texas hires who would you have wanted and predicted to have the better program. Sure most will say Tom Herman. Yet LSU and Baylor are playing for Conference titles and potential playoff spots this weekend.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:59 AM, rexbo said:

And to take a risk right now, rebuilding with  an unknown coach, when it's apparent the Saban era is coming to an end, would be just the Auburn, shooting-yourself-in-the-foot thing to do. 

I am fine with Gus getting another year. The problem is that while the Saban era appears to be ending, the Smart, Mullen, and Orgeron eras may just be cranking up. 

Gus HAS to fix his flaws. HAS to. We need a big boy passing game and QB coach. We need a real, experienced offensive staff. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I am fine with Gus getting another year. The problem is that while the Saban era appears to be ending, the Smart, Mullen, and Orgeron eras may just be cranking up. 

Gus HAS to fix his flaws. HAS to. We need a big boy passing game and QB coach. We need a real, experienced offensive staff. 

A lot of what you wish for is on many Auburn fans Christmas lists. :)

The problem is, none of them will show up under our tree.

Gus HAS to fix his flaws(hasn't happened yet, why do you think it will happen next year?)

We need a big boy passing game(Gus tried and unless someone is going to tell the guy that just beat Alabama 2-3 years to do that, he is going to run that same offense we saw Saturday out there)

QB Coach?(Never going to see one while Gus is there). He thinks he found the formula to beat teams now.

Other than the running game having good stretches in the Iron Bowl our passing game(and I understand we lost some key offensive players), is still average.

How many slants were thrown?

Did the TE Wilson get targeted at all?

For the year Williams has around 800 receiving yards. The second highest is Schwartz with only around 300 yards. Seems like we really didn't try to get Schwartz and others into the passing game as much as we needed it.

I am glad for so many things Gus does for our team and I thank him for that. 

I just see that we have to settle again for an inconsistent average offense. And please don't say we scored 48 points against Alabama(2 were pick 6s, 4 FGs from fairly long range)

25 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Gus HAS to fix his flaws(hasn't happened yet, why do you think it will happen next year?)

I don't. And I think he will be fired for it. But even though I am angry I am rooting for him because he is our coach.

Sidenote: Gus has never tried to put in a real passing game. Ever.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I don't. And I think he will be fired for it. But even though I am angry I am rooting for him because he is our coach.

Sidenote: Gus has never tried to put in a real passing game. Ever.

Guess I'm not sure why this matters....

Most SEC teams do not have a real passing game..  Starts with having a QB who can manage one and those kind of QBs have been in short supply in the SEC in recent years.  Only one QB in the SEC over 3000 yards this year and just 3 over 65% completion. 

Nix has potential......hoping to see a big step forward for him next season. 

Archived