Pat Sullivan has passed away

AUDub

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

I was a sophomore during Sullivan’s freshman year (when freshmen were not eligible to play).  But because of grad school I got to see all three years of Sullivan to Beasley - touchdown Auburn.

For me that will always be Auburn. RIP Pat Sullivan 😢

I remember a lot of his games but the one I remember the  with fond memories is the Alabama game his freshman year (in those days had freshmen teams). But we were down to Alabama in the first half 27-0 and Sully brought us back to win the game.  I believe he started to win the Heisman that game.

REST IN PEACE SULLY AND THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

I hate to see this news.  He was one of my Dad's football heroes and I grew up with a really cool PS poster on my wall that I didn't even put there.

War Eagle Mr. Sullivan & may God bless your soul!

War Eagle Mr. Sullivan! Prayers for all of your family! Thanks for being a great man who happened to also be an Auburn man!

I used up all my likes but it's been heartwarming to read all the great comments above.   Pat was loved by AU people and hope he was aware of that great win over bama yesterday..  

I can only imagine he had the most pleasant of dreams last night as he passed away as peacefully as he could.  RIP Pat. Thank you for showing us all what Auburn is all about. You will be missed. 

Like many it seems, I come from the generation ( Born in 1960 ) where Sullivan to Beasley and Punt Bama Punt  played such a big part in our young lives.  Just beginning to get deeply involved in sports at ago 10-11 ,Sully and Beasley came along, with Beck and Langner and others.  I remember the Sugar Bowl after he won the Heisman and the disappointment losing to Oklahoma.  My Dad and family were Bama fans, but i couldn't help but love my Tigers.

I'm sure there will be more articles to come, but this one by Phillip Marshall was the first I saw and offers some details.

RIP, Mr Sullivan. I was an Auburn student when he was QB and won the Heisman. A great player and a great Auburn Man.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-icon-Pat-Sullivan-passes-away-139587147/

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

I remember a lot of his games but the one I remember the  with fond memories is the Alabama game his freshman year (in those days had freshmen teams). But we were down to Alabama in the first half 27-0 and Sully brought us back to win the game.  I believe he started to win the Heisman that game.

REST IN PEACE SULLY AND THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

I was a Sophomore that year and in the AU Band. I listened on radio to him in the freshman game and knew we had something special. He will always be a special Auburn Man!!

Welcome to Heaven Mr Sullivan. I was too young in 1971 to appreciate what you were accomplishing at my future alma mater. Prayers sent out for your family.

Super Sully, the football hero of my childhood. My sister, knew him at Auburn, and I got to meet him at the old Baron's Corner men's store at Midway Plaza when I was about 8. Such class, rest in peace Mr. Sullivan. You were a living example of what it means to be an Auburn man. Those of my generation will always love you. 

War Eagle.

I was told by a mutual friend a couple of weeks ago that Pat was not doing well.  He was the ultimate Auburn Man.  Well, he was a great man, period.  My thoughts and Prayers are with Jean and the Sullivan Family.  War Eagle #7!!!

Super Sully brought me tons of joy and excitement during his time at Auburn. I will always remember the comeback game his junior season with the win over bammer. A true gentleman on and off the field. You will be missed and I know one day our paths will cross and we can sit down and discuss Auburn football for a good while. May God bless your family number "7"

Auburn football legend and Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan has died 

By Darran Simon and Kevin Dotson, CNN

Updated 7:04 PM ET, Sun December 1, 2019 

Pat Sullivan won the Heisman Trophy for the 1971 season.

Pat Sullivan won the Heisman Trophy for the 1971 season.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/01/us/pat-sullivan-heisman-trophy-winner-obituary-trnd/index.html

Sad news about my childhood hero.  Had the pleasure to meet him a few years ago.   Pat Sullivan and Bart Starr are two of the finest gentlemen I have ever met.  He truly made it great to be an Auburn Tiger.  Condolences to his family.  Don't know how strong he was yesterday but if the game was playing,  somewhere down deep he was at peace.   He told a story about having to walk to Legion Stadium/WFL game as a guest of Shug Jordan after a car breakdown.  Bear Bryant drove by in a police motorcade, Shug told him he would have to decide whether to "ride with Bear" or "walk with him".  Pat committed to AU during that walk.  Certain they will walk together again.

Little doc

Found out just now from my wife 

I do an Assisted living home service 4 times a month here in Metter.  One of the gentleman I sing to and minister to is Herman Wilkes , from Swainsboro.  He played Guard and kicked for Auburn 1960-1962. Also played Pro.  So I will talk to him Thursday when I see him.

I say for the bowl game we need to wear the old 'fish net' jerseys in honor of Pat....it made Auburn unique in the late 60's and 70's....Prayers for the family and Pat.

I was only 2 or 3 yrs old when he played, but my Dad made sure I knew who he was with a framed photo of him & Terry Beasley on my bedroom wall.  I recall he & my Dad were in adjacent rooms both recovering from cancer surgery in 2004.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/heisman-winner-former-coach-pat-sullivan-dies-at-69

It's hard to imagine, today, the doldrums that were affecting Auburn football in 1967. Then Pat Sullivan came, beat the UAT freshman team in 1968 and turned the atmosphere that surrounded Auburn football completely around. 1969 through 1971 were some of the most exciting seasons in AU history and it wouldn't have happened without Pat Sullivan.

He was a great Auburn man, yes, and he was truly a "savior" of our program at the time.

My favorite quote by Pat was when he was asked what he said to Pat Dye, who "fired" Sullivan a couple of times every game when he was Dye's offensive coordinator. Pat said he always told Dye: "You can fire me tomorrow, right now I've got a football game to coach". :)

Archived