AP Voters Are A Joke

Zeek

6B1FB46A-6BBD-4ADE-A21B-2CB47DFBE56D.jpeg

Two of these clowns have us at #15 and a lot of people have us behind Bama 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It looks like we moved up 5 spots to #11, what am I missing?

Two of these voters put us at 15th and the majority have Bama still in the top 10 and us out of it. 

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Two of these voters put us at 15th and the majority have Bama still in the top 10 and us out of it. 

It's what I'd expect from the AP poll I guess is all I'm really saying.  They're 10-2 and UA.  Their 2 losses were by a combined 8 points.  Those combined mean a lot to many who aren't paying attention to the games like we are.  

10 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It's what I'd expect from the AP poll I guess is all I'm really saying.  They're 10-2 and UA.  Their 2 losses were by a combined 8 points.  Those combined mean a lot to many who aren't paying attention to the games like we are.  

I guess the biggest gripe is Alabama has no top 25 wins, Texas A&M (7-5) was their best win, and they lost all marquee games they've been in (LSU and Auburn). Had it been any other SEC team that played Alabama's schedule and went 10-2 (with both losses to LSU and Auburn), would they still remain in top ten? I think not.

Name recognition and brand is what keeping Alabama in top ten, and undeservedly so.

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I guess the biggest gripe is Alabama has no top 25 wins, Texas A&M (7-5) was their best win, and they lost all marquee games they've been in (LSU and Auburn). Had it been any other SEC team that played Alabama's schedule and went 10-2 (with both losses to LSU and Auburn), would they still remain in top ten? I think not.

Name recognition and brand is what keeping Alabama in top ten, and undeservedly so.

If AU was 10-2 we'd be ranked higher than UA.  We had 3 losses so we're not.  That's as deep as you can expect from the AP voters.  Most of these cats aren't breaking down advanced analytics.  They're watching a few games, checking out box scores, and mailing it in.  Same as it's always been.

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

But they're OOOOOOUUUUUUTTTTT! That's the only important ranking to them. The college football world says thank you to Auburn...

denied-memegenerator-net-denied-waynes-world-meme-generator-49385412.png

you-get-deniedyou.jpg

images (5).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

On a serious note, I've not really focused on polls as they change weekly...too much to keep up with. But if I look at only this section, just a couple of observations...

7. Florida 10-2
8. Baylor 11-1
9. Alabama 10-2
10. Wisconsin 10-2
11. Auburn 9-3
12. Penn St. 10-2
13. Oregon 10-2
14. Notre Dame 10-2
15. Minnesota 10-2
16. Memphis 11-1

*Don't you bet UA is furious to be behind Florida?

*I get SOS, but that's a heap of 2-loss teams (and a few 1-loss) we're ahead of. 

26 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

But they're OOOOOOUUUUUUTTTTT! That's the only important ranking to them. The college football world says thank you to Auburn...

denied-memegenerator-net-denied-waynes-world-meme-generator-49385412.png

you-get-deniedyou.jpg

images (5).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

I wore my AU hat loud and proud today while running errands. I got stopped multiple times by fellow Auburn fans, as well as fans of other teams saying they’re “not Auburn fans but I was last night”. 

Reddit has thousands of replies from fans of other teams thanking Auburn as well. 

40 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Winning 5 National Championships in 10 years earns you a lot of credit and special privileges. 

I'm usually ambivalent about polls if they dont get us into the CFP but I amnpissed that Auburn is ranked behind Bama. They have nothing in terms of wins to validate it and their only ranked play resulted in losses. It makes zero sense

52 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If AU was 10-2 we'd be ranked higher than UA.  We had 3 losses so we're not.  That's as deep as you can expect from the AP voters.  Most of these cats aren't breaking down advanced analytics.  They're watching a few games, checking out box scores, and mailing it in.  Same as it's always been.

I'm actually not lobbying for Auburn to be ranked over Alabama. I'm saying Alabama enjoys special privileges that won't be the case for anyone not named Alabama in the SEC.

Just now, AUDynasty said:

I'm actually not lobbying for Auburn to be ranked over Alabama. I'm saying Alabama enjoys special privileges that won't be the case for anyone not named Alabama in the SEC.

Their expansive body of work gets them the benefit of the doubt.  It's the way of the world.

I am glad we moved up. We are ahead of teams such as Penn State with a 10-2 record. Yes, you would think we would be ahead of bammer, but what the heck.....We beat the crap out of the turds that's enough for me!

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Winning 5 National Championships in 10 years earns you a lot of credit and special privileges. 

I agree with this. But it is aggravating to know that if this was, say, a team like California, they'd be either be hovering mid-20s. 

And let's be real. They got opportunities to play in the playoffs because they are good AND they've got the backing from the media. That 2012 BCS trip against LSU. That 2017 trip. No conference title games but two national championships. 

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Their expansive body of work gets them the benefit of the doubt.  It's the way of the world.

I'm not denying this. It is a fact. It is also something that is extremely advantageous when the media knows Bama means money. 

22 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I agree with this. But it is aggravating to know that if this was, say, a team like California, they'd be either be hovering mid-20s. 

And let's be real. They got opportunities to play in the playoffs because they are good AND they've got the backing from the media. That 2012 BCS trip against LSU. That 2017 trip. No conference title games but two national championships. 

That's why it HURTS MORE for them now. Not even special privileges or their storied history can get them there this year.

Been thinking. Saban wants to leave on a high note. Yesterday was another year sentence to you know where...because his pride won't let him walk away without at least one more.  Yet meanwhile, he is slipping and other programs are advancing...pushing it out of reach even more. Hence the hissy fits.

The AP poll is irrelevant -- the only poll that matters is the CFB.  In 2019, uat lost to the Clemson, LSU & now the AU Tigers.  According to the Chinese calendar, 2019 is supposed to be the Year of the Boar.  I disagree.... it's the Year of the TIGER(S)!  

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I counted 21 of the 62 pollsters ranking AU ahead of bama. Of the remaining ones, many of them had AU and bama right next to each other. The Tennessee guy whacked bama, lol, a couple more of them did too and 20 had bama 11 or lower. The Washington guy who had us at 15 probably only watches PAC 12 games and doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the SEC. We're the highest ranked 3 loss team and ahead of some fairly good 1 or 2 loss teams. Decent considering 3 losses but it could have been so much better as we know.

24 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

That's why it HURTS MORE for them now. Not even special privileges or their storied history can get them there this year.

Been thinking. Saban wants to leave on a high note. Yesterday was another year sentence to you know where...because his pride won't let him walk away without at least one more.  Yet meanwhile, he is slipping and other programs are advancing...pushing it out of reach even more. Hence the hissy fits.

This is an excellent point and something that I have not considered. Had they won, I'm absolutely certain the media machine will blare thus getting Bama special treatment.

I get the 'special privilege' but how a team that has won/played for two NCs this decade and the only team to beat bama multiple times in the regular season this decade (less Ole Miss)?  'That team' deserves some 'special consideration'.

Auburn lost to two top 4 teams (now) and #7 UF on the road - does that deserve some 'special consideration'?  

I believe Auburn deserves to be ranked higher than bama this year - bama had a chance to 'play into' the playoffs and couldn't beat Auburn...

Archived