GUS three positives

shabby

This should be fun. Three things you like about Gus as our coach. No snark. No sarcasm. Genuinely three things. He gets enough $#%@ around here. One thread to point out the positives

1) He recruits well

2) odd one here but he made an unconventional choice with hiring Caddy and Kodi Burns and I think they are both going to be outstanding

3) from Muschamp to Steele Gus gets some credit for the state of our defense. 

I'm sunshing the #$$% out of this place today

1. He chose his wife wisely and they really seem to complement each other. Good gift mix in shepherding their "surrogate sons."

2. I believe, being "straight outta" high school success, he "gets" the mind of the 18-year-old making the transition...he can remember what it was like to be there. 

3. Tied to #2, I believe he makes a FABULOUS first impression with families on the recruiting trail. His own two daughters not much older, I believe he plays the valid family card hard and well. This can't be underestimated in the mind of parents, especially single ones, sending their child hundreds of miles away from their supervision and support. 

1) Runs a clean program and holds players to a standard that will benefit them for the rest of their lives.

2) I believe he loves Auburn and the things our community really stand for.

3) He has overseen the improvement of our defense from porous to wonderful. They’re still not perfect but the Auburn I know is one that plays hard smash mouth defense and runs the rock on offense. 

1. I believe that he is a man of faith and character and sets a good example for our players in that regard.

2. He supports Bruce Pearl and the other coaches and teams and loves all things Auburn.

3. He is intelligent enough to have designed an offense that other coaches have stolen from, have had to study and change their scheme against, and have had to have rules changed because it was so successful. Now he needs to design a better one!

I am quick to criticize him for the offensive woes, but I really don't have a hard time finding things I like about the guy.

1. He genuinely is a decent human being and runs a clean program. He doesn't curse and he does not make a donkey of himself on TV (looking at you Nick)

2. He is a great recruiter. We have kept recruiting well, even while Alabama (and recently UGA) have been in historic runs.

3. When he decided to clean up the defense, he got the check book opened up and fixed the problem. 

1. He recruits really well.

2. When he has a decent OL and a dynamic QB, his offense is unstoppable (2013- Good both; 2014- Good both and lost because of poor defense; 2015- Adequate OL and poor QB; 2016- Good OL and serviceable QB; 2017-  Inconsistent OL and Good QB; 2018- Bad OL and Good QB; 2019- Young QB and the Worst OL in decades). If he can find some good OL recruits and a good coach, we will be back to strength on offense. 

3. Despite what some think on here, he does adapt his playbook reasonably well from year to year. 

Bonus item: He typically starts and finishes games well. 

I am not a Gus fan because he loses games he should easily win (not every loss, don't pick me apart), but he has many positives also.  I am still not a Gus fan, but honestly:

1. He runs a clean program we can all be proud of.  He runs off players who don't belong in the family.

2. He is the most consistent HC we have ever had with recruiting.

3. He is a Christian and whether you are or not, he teaches those values to his players.   Values are 'everything' as an adult.

Many good things already mentioned, and I'll add a couple more.

One thing I love about Gus is that it's not about him. Gus has had a lot of success. He's in the upper echelon of his profession, but he remains humble. He doesn't throw players under the bus. There's a lot to be said for that, because there are a lot of diva coaches out there. 

He's done very well against this modern Bama program. Say what you want, but he's now 3-4 vs. Saban's uber talented teams, and that's a solid record. As of today, I have no complaints about his record vs. Bama.

- runs a clean, disciplined program (as most have said, probably his best trait)

- has beaten Saban more than any other head coach 

- recruits well 

fyi im still NOT fully on the bus but next seasons schedule does give me a reason to be optimistic. 

1. He does recruit well as other have mentioned

2. He seems to get up for the Bama game and has beaten the Nickster more than any other current SEC coach

3. He has the innate ability to drag my complaining a$$ back for more every freaking year, year after year.  I swear this is the last time........until next time.

Let me know when the “3 things Gus needs to improve” thread is posted.

Side note, Gus has lost some weight and looked slick in his tight pants against Bama

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Bonus item: He typically starts and finishes games well. 

2016 UGA, 2018 Bama, 2018 MsSt, 2018 UGA, 2017 LSU all beg to differ

Most have been covered, so I’ll just add this one. He doesn’t make excuses.  Whether injuries, bad refs, schedule, youth, etc.... He may mention them, but he doesn’t use them as a crutch. I respect that. 

He keeps threads like this going. 

He recruits well so if guys are injured we might actually get the best players playing

Same thing with pigeon holing players

Most of mine were already stated, but I will say that one of my favs is that he is wired differently. Yes, he makes some really bizarre decisions. He also has some crazy plans that work. I like that he’s a bit weird and thinks of strange scenarios. 

28 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Ding, ding, ding! The first one to add the snark. You get the prize. 🙄 You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but you missed the point of the OP.

Actually my first point is pretty much the number 1 thing that if people have a problem with Gus it's the universal problem they have.....maybe if you look at it as a different perspective as opposed to an argument or snark it may would open up your understanding a bit. But of course it's your decision and I won't even roll my eyes back at you

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Actually my first point is pretty much the number 1 thing that if people have a problem with Gus it's the universal problem they have.....maybe if you look at it as a different perspective as opposed to an argument or snark it may would open up your understanding a bit. But of course it's your decision and I won't even roll my eyes back at you

I think the point that this was for a feel-good thread looking for positives and the post was a bit of a bummer.  So it was a tad of a letdown.  

1. Gus has made the changes necessary to bring our defense back from the bottom to the top of the SEC.
  2. Gus is well-groomed and does not have a mullet. Head coaches should not have a mullet.
  3. Gus likes Waffle House. I like Waffle House. 🙂

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think the point that this was for a feel-good thread looking for positives and the post was a bit of a bummer.  So it was a tad of a letdown.  

I stated the positives as to a few why we won. We happened to win but Gus coached the way he always coach nothing changed. It's just shut up when we lose and shut up when we win.

But I don't want to argue, some won't learn their lessons. But yeah if I wasn't going to comply I should've simply not posted. I agree with that

1) Gus is a good recruiter.

2) He has put together a great staff that recruits well. (1 & 2 are about 75% of a head coaches job)

3) Gus and his staff have created an atmosphere that attracts players and makes them want to stay (Thank you Derrick, Marlon, and  Prince)  

1. Saw the need for a great defense and took the steps needed (hiring good coaches, getting top recruits, etc) to make it happen.

2. Cares about Auburn...put $2M of his own money into building a football only facility which will be here whether or not Gus is the HC.  He never passes up a chance to tout Auburn fans as the best in college football. He thinks Auburn is special.

3. Runs a program that does everything possible to ensure the players graduate with a chance to do great things in life.  It's clear that they give him their best effort and support.

Archived