How was this pass ruled incomplete?

CleCoTiger

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I get that, but possession requires a minimum amount of time and can't be proven in a still frame. Shed was on his left knee when the ball arrived, so that still frame could be just at the moment the ball was cradled. Live replay, it looked to me like his left foot was on the white by the time possession had taken place.

Hell of an effort nonetheless..

Again, I didn't have an issue with the ruling. As others have pointed out, whatever the ruling was on the field was going to stand.

One good thing that can be said about it this time...at least that call did not cost us the game. Thank goodness for some wide open football finally against a tough opponent.

My wife said that it is amazing that the refs can see his foot touch out of bounds a split second before the catch but can't see a hold with an arm around his neck. 

I did not have a problem with the call for 2 reasons. (1) Player must possess control of the ball in-bounds. The ref may have thought that he still had not completely secured the ball before his foot touched out of bounds. And (2) from the camera angles we have, we cannot see if the ball may have touch the ground behind his hands before he secured it. Maybe the ref who called it incomplete had a view that the cameras and other refs did not.

Whatever, it was a really close judgment call involving micro-seconds and the refs seemed to be calling the game equally for both teams, so I give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Very tough call.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:50 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

I get that, but possession requires a minimum amount of time and can't be proven in a still frame. Shed was on his left knee when the ball arrived, so that still frame could be just at the moment the ball was cradled. Live replay, it looked to me like his left foot was on the white by the time possession had taken place.

Hell of an effort nonetheless..

Especially for a "blocker"!

How about the little side chuck pass play by Nix when he was scrambling in the 3rd quarter (i think), and the receiver took off down the sideline with a chance to take it all the way, but the Refs blew the whistle to stop the play because Bama got flagged for roughing the QB.  The announcers said it was incomplete because he was out of bounds, but the replay showed he was along way from being out!....Sorry, cant find a clip of it, but that was pretty baffling to me.

2 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

How about the little side chuck pass play by Nix when he was scrambling in the 3rd quarter (i think), and the receiver took off down the sideline with a chance to take it all the way, but the Refs blew the whistle to stop the play because Bama got flagged for roughing the QB.  The announcers said it was incomplete because he was out of bounds, but the replay showed he was along way from being out!....Sorry, cant find a clip of it, but that was pretty baffling to me.

He was out.

15 minutes ago, The Freak said:

He was out.

Yeah, I guess he must have been since thats what they called and nobody on the Auburn side protested.   I just swear, watching the play and the replay during the game looked like it was a catch in bounds......I do need glasses to so theres also that!  :P

It was a complicated situation. I thought he had it, but I can also understand the term “indisputable.” I’m more ticked about:

- on this play, why was the original call changed? The guy with the best view called it complete, and they were starting to move the chains. Why all the sudden did they change it to incomplete? There seemed to be no one onthe field with a better look, and why did it change so suddenly. It seemed really suspicious.

-if we are going to hold the bar for “indisputable” as high as it is (and arguably where is should be), why was the Seth Williams catch against UGA ruled out? There was more evidence here that this was a catch than there was evidence in the UGA game that Seth’s attempt (which was overturned from complete) wasn’t? They are using the criteria for “indisputable” so inconsistently.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

One of the greatest catches in Auburn history and it's called incomplete. :no:

I think Sal's catch in the endzone is by far the better catch. But the one handed catch with a DB holding one arm behind his back is even better on the play before.

4 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

I was wondering the same thing. It looked like Shivers was nowhere near the sideline when they blew the whistle. I would like to see an angle of that play showing when/where he went out because it's been driving me nuts. 

Archived