Bowl Projections - The Unofficial List for 2019-2020

AURealist

For Example, Penn State's All-American back Saquon Barkley thought enough of his team, school and fans to play in a "meaningless" bowl game. I expect Auburn players to do the same and will be badly disappointed in any AU player that sits out a bowl game for selfish reasons.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

For Example, Penn State's All-American back Saquon Barkley thought enough of his team, school and fans to play in a "meaningless" bowl game. I expect Auburn players to do the same and will be badly disappointed in any AU player that sits out a bowl game for selfish reasons.

But isn't it selfish on your part to expect them to play in a non-playoff bowl game while risking quite literally millions of dollars?  One wrong hit to Derrick Brown and he's out millions.  DB also has a kid to think about.  If you were in that same situation, wouldn't you put your family first and secure generational changing wealth?  I know I damn sure would.

The difference between being the 10th pick in the draft and a 3rd rounder coming back from injury is about $15M.  Think about that.  $15 freaking million dollars.  No chance should any player take that risk for a non-playoff bowl game.

As for your Saquon Barkley argument, my counter to that is Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt.  They were both going to be a first rounder a few years ago.  Each blew out a knee in their bowl and fell a long way.  Jaylon in particular was going to be a top 3 pick.  He fell to 34th.  The difference in money: almost $20M.

You're damn right it's "selfish reasons" for these guys to sit a bowl game, but there isn't anyone affiliated with Auburn that is going to make that money up to DB if he gets hurt in the freaking Citrus Bowl.  Jimmy Rane ain't cutting that check to DB's bank account.  At some point, he's gotta look out for his and his family's best interests.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

But isn't it selfish on your part to expect them to play in a non-playoff bowl game while risking quite literally millions of dollars?

It's not selfish on my or anybody else's part that thinks they should play. It's their team, their teammates and their friends that they are betraying. Toss the school and fans into the betrayed group too. Were I in that position, I'd play. Maybe playing wouldn't be the smartest thing from a financial standpoint but I could sleep at night with a blown out knee. I couldn't sleep at night when I couldn't even look my buddies in the face without seeing disappointment in their eyes.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's not selfish on my or anybody else's part that thinks they should play. It's their team, their teammates and their friends that they are betraying. Toss the school and fans into the betrayed group too. Were I in that position, I'd play. Maybe playing wouldn't be the smartest thing from a financial standpoint but I could sleep at night with a blown out knee. I couldn't sleep at night when I couldn't even look my buddies in the face without seeing disappointment in their eyes.

Betray is such a strong word and the wrong one to use here.  He's not giving away secrets on the gameplan or anything.

I think you don't understand the modern athlete at all.  I guarantee you every single player on that roster would understand if stars who know they'll be drafted high sit out.  The money in the NFL is just too much now and most D1 players go to a school with the intention of making the league.  A lot of these guys come from meager means.  Again, it's generational wealth we're talking about here.

And it's easy to say "I'd play" when you don't have to make that call.  Let someone put a check for $20M in front of you at 22 years old and see what you would actually do.  Smart money says you'd have crawled across broken glass to take the cash.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And it's easy to say "I'd play" when you don't have to make that call.  Let someone put a check for $20M in front of you at 22 years old and see what you would actually do.  Smart money says you'd have crawled across broken glass to take the cash.

Clearly, you don't know me.

Since this is America, your are free to have whatever opinion you choose to have concerning players who abandon their team because they might get hurt. I think much less of those who do that, and that's my prerogative.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Clearly, you don't know me.

Since this is America, your are free to have whatever opinion you choose to have concerning players who abandon their team because they might get hurt. I think much less of those who do that, and that's my prerogative.

Cool.  I'll stay on the side of the guy who wants millions of dollars to take care of his kid and family.  Seems like that's exactly what a man should do: put his family first.

And I truly hope that DB and MD sit out the bowl game.  They owe nothing else to Auburn.  Go make your money gents and thank you both for being exemplary Auburn men!

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

If we were talking playoff, then yeah, I'd expect the draft-bound seniors to want to play post season. 

Maybe even in some lesser games like against Michigan in the Overpaid Under-delivered Bowl. 

But for a lesser bowl against  Missouri or Wisconsin?   I'd expect a player to be seriously considering keeping his health and looking toward the future. And since it's his body, life and livelihood, who can rationally blame them? 

Why not just pretend it's 2016 or 2017?   It was a simpler time then, before Gus considered bowl games important.  

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think much less of those who do that, and that's my prerogative.

Yes, it is your prerogative to whine, and you exercise that right liberally. 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's their team, their teammates and their friends

Exactly. So maybe STFU about it.

Loyalty is a very important trait to me, one of the first things that pulls up when I look up my personality type on the enneagram assessment. I appreciate the loyalty DB and MD have shown to Auburn by coming back this year. With millions on the line to secure their and the family’s future......no way they should play in some silly, meaningless bowl game. If they do I’ll be thrilled and will cheer like hell for them. If they don’t I’ll cheer the sacrifices they already made to play for Auburn. Sacrificing for the team and teammates is a noble concept but I guarantee you not one of those teammates will begrudge them a decision to sit out a bowl if that’s how it plays out. I don’t understand the selfish mindset that seems to think they owe Auburn something more than they’ve already given.

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

Loyalty is a very important trait to me, one of the first things that pulls up when I look up my personality type on the enneagram assessment. I appreciate the loyalty DB and MD have shown to Auburn by coming back this year. With millions on the line to secure their and the family’s future......no way they should play in some silly, meaningless bowl game. If they do I’ll be thrilled and will cheer like hell for them. If they don’t I’ll cheer the sacrifices they already made to play for Auburn. Sacrificing for the team and teammates is a noble concept but I guarantee you not one of those teammates will begrudge them a decision to sit out a bowl if that’s how it plays out. I don’t understand the selfish mindset that seems to think they owe Auburn something more than they’ve already given.

Nailed it

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Sacrificing for the team and teammates is a noble concept but I guarantee you not one of those teammates will begrudge them a decision to sit out a bowl if that’s how it plays out. I don’t understand the selfish mindset that seems to think they owe Auburn something more than they’ve already given.

It's completely dishonest and hypocritical, like so much of what people claiming that stance say and think. 

Imagine giving up on a guy...

...who has displayed nothing buy loyalty and dedication to the team, staff and University...

...who turned down better, more successful programs to be here...

...who turned down NFL millions to return for another year...

...because of one decision that could help to secure a comfortable future for his family, and that has no real negative impact on his team, staff or University, and that all aforementioned people and institutions are completely in support of...

...and then calling the other guy disloyal and a betrayer. 

Even for Captain Clown Town, that is a new level of hypocrisy, off target self-righteous indignation, and straight up bullsh**. He is no Auburn fan. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I couldn't sleep at night when I couldn't even look my buddies in the face without seeing disappointment in their eyes.

I'm sure you've disappointed innumerable people in your time, but there's no need to bring that up in a conversation about Auburn football players. You really should stop. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's their team, their teammates and their friends

Why didn't you copy my complete sentence? As usual, your disingenuous attempts at twisting things are transparent.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. So maybe STFU about it.

Classy.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

That’s easy to say when you aren’t in that position. 

Just now, Mikey said:

Why didn't you copy my complete sentence? As usual, your disingenuous attempts at twisting things are transparent.

I've twisted nothing. I did you a favor and extracted the only useful thought in your whole post.

Classy.

You get the respect you earn, as always. 

I don't care if they do or don't play, but I don't think a single Auburn fan could blame them or have any sense of betrayal if they decided to sit this one out. They done their best for Auburn, and maybe they should do what's best for them now. 

It would also give some great experience to those who will be filling their roles next season. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s easy to say when you aren’t in that position. 

I think you're either in or you're out. I'd be in. Why would any soldier stand and fight when the stuff hits the fan? Because it's the right thing to do.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think you're either in or you're out. I'd be in. Why would any soldier stand and fight when the stuff hits the fan? Because it's the right thing to do.

Like I said, it is easy to say that when you are not in that position.  It's your opinion nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did you really just compare war to football?

If I were Gus I'd make Brown and Davidson honorary coaches and let them be on the sidelines building everyone up. I wouldn't want those two to play. It is in their best interests to sign really big contracts in a few months. As coach, I would want to put my players' best interests in the forefront for a bowl game with no championship implications.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

If they didn’t play they’d sleep just fine at night, maybe you wouldn’t but they would, and the players wouldn’t be mad either. They would completely understand 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Were I in that position, I'd play.

And, let’s be honest, if you were in that position we wouldn’t be going to a bowl, lol.

Archived