Bowl Projections - The Unofficial List for 2019-2020

AURealist

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I wouldn’t mind DB and MD sitting just so we can see how our backups do against a good team but of course I wouldn’t be mad if they played. 

Also does anyone think Oregon beating Utah would help us jump UF in the rankings and increase NY6 odds? 

Doubtful.  UF beat us.  

Hopefully, if Oregon wins, they'll drop Oregon and Utah between us and uat.  

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I wouldn’t mind DB and MD sitting just so we can see how our backups do against a good team but of course I wouldn’t be mad if they played. 

Also does anyone think Oregon beating Utah would help us jump UF in the rankings and increase NY6 odds? 

I'm good with those guys sitting because I think we have some good depth there.....and good to see what it looks like.

Seems that if tOSU hammers Wisky then we could move up a spot to #10. ..but maybe still behind UF...but might not matter.  As for jumping UF.....kind of hard to see that happening since they beat us....but you never know what that committee is thinking...or how they make some of their decisions. 

17 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

We aren't jumping UF.  They have two losses and a head to head win over us.  And their two losses were to teams we also lost to.

I do think Oregon wins tonight though.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We aren't jumping UF.  They have two losses and a head to head win over us.  And their two losses were to teams we also lost to.

I do think Oregon wins tonight though.

I take it we just need to be in the top 10....seems that Wisky is most vulnerable...a loss to tOSU is likely and will be their third loss.   Can't see anyone who is not playing this weekend changing places...except all move up to fill the slot left by Wisky when they move down....  :dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I take it we just need to be in the top 10....seems that Wisky is most vulnerable...a loss to tOSU is likely and will be their third loss.   Can't see anyone who is not playing this weekend changing places...except all move up to fill the slot left by Wisky when they move down....  :dunno:

You would have to ask how the committee looks at those three Wisconsin losses considering two would be to the #1 team.

If Oregon wins tonight, I expect Utah to fall a bunch.  They have zero wins over the current CFP top 25.  Oregon meanwhile goes to the Rose automatically with a win and potentially with a loss if Utah gets in the playoff.

Likely circumstances:. OSU, LSU, Clemson, and one of Utah, Oklahoma or Baylor are in the playoff.

Utah and LSU wins trickle down like this:

Rose = Penn State vs Oregon

Sugar = UGA vs Big 12 winner

Orange = Florida vs Virginia

Cotton = Group of 5 vs AU/Baylor/Wisconsin....highest ranked team from that group gets in.

Now, if Oregon wins tonight, Utah is potentially out of the NY6 bowls altogether.  In that case, OU/Baylor winner moves into the playoff and the loser goes to the Sugar.  Then it likely comes down to a beauty contest between us and Wisconsin for the Cotton.

The real wrench though is UGA.  If they win, then we're probably in the NY6, potentially as good as the Orange Bowl.

Playoffs if a UGA win happens but all higher ranked teams win elsewhere:

OSU/Clemson/UGA/LSU

Rose = Penn St vs Utah

Sugar = OU/Baylor vs Florida

Orange = Virginia vs AU/Baylor/OU/Wisconsin

Cotton = Group of 5 vs AU/Baylor/OU/Wisconsin

Naturally, since I posted that I assumed DB and MD would sit, Wisconsin would be a tough draw for us, the expected posters jumped my butt saying that they have "character" and that I was dissing them.

Let's be clear. I would LOVE it if they chose to play in our bowl game. I will also understand completely if they decide to sit. Same with the other seniors. They have given their all for years for Auburn. They worked their butts off, they won games for us. They do not OWE Auburn anything more than they've already given. And I will not criticize them if they make that "business decision" to sit out a bowl game. And I am sure all the coaches and players are good with that.

IF they decide to play, I will be overjoyed. Those guys have offered so much for us, this is like bonus time. I will simply pray that they do not get hurt.

Watching Oregon vs Utah right now. Hoping Oregon wins. Improves Auburn's strength of schedule. Personally don't care which teams are in the playoff now that Bama is eliminated.

Utah coming to life after halftime ….ducks now up 20-7   first half looked like Utes were about to give up their playoff possibilities in the first half....but still have time to turn things around.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Utah coming to life after halftime ….ducks now up 20-7   first half looked like Utes were about to give up their playoff possibilities in the first half....but still have time to turn things around.  

Think we can stick a fork in this one😊. Boy  am I glad we beat Bama. 😬

4 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Think we can stick a fork in this one😊. Boy  am I glad we beat Bama. 😬

Yep, Oregon bounced back and kicked butt in the fourth quarter. That helps simplify things for the playoff committee.

Just now, AU64 said:

Yep, Oregon bounced back and kicked butt in the fourth quarter. That helps simplify things for the playoff committee.

Unless UGA somehow wins.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Unless UGA somehow wins.

That could be an issue but at least Utah is no longer a concern. Pressure is on Oklahoma and Baylor I think. Somebody needs to when decisively just to assure that Georgia does not sneak in later in the day.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

That could be an issue but at least Utah is no longer a concern. Pressure is on Oklahoma and Baylor I think. Somebody needs to when decisively just to assure that Georgia does not sneak in later in the day.

Well even with a decisive win in the Big 12, I think LSU is in no matter what.  Their resume is way too good compared to either OU or Baylor.

Well even with a decisive win in the Big 12, I think LSU is in no matter what.  Their resume is way too good compared to either OU or Baylor.

I think the issue is what happens to Georgia and how they look against LSU.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I think the issue is what happens to Georgia and how they look against LSU.

I'm saying if UGA wins.  It's their only path to the playoff.

However, if UGA wins, then LSU is in too and the Big 12 is left out.

I'm saying if UGA wins.  It's their only path to the playoff.

However, if UGA wins, then LSU is in too and the Big 12 is left out.

That is my nightmare scenario 😵

So the question of the evening is. Will the SEC officials fix the outcome of the LSU versus Georgia game in such a way as to get two teams into the playoff.? Sounds like something that could happen 🙄

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That is my nightmare scenario 😵

If we want Auburn in one of the New Year's Six bowls, our chances increase greatly if UGA wins the SEC and both LSU and UGA are in the playoffs. Whether that's worth it or not is a personal issue. Me, I'd rather go to the better bowl and let the playoffs take care of themselves.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

If we want Auburn in one of the New Year's Six bowls, our chances increase greatly if UGA wins the SEC and both LSU and UGA are in the playoffs. Whether that's worth it or not is a personal issue. Me, I'd rather go to the better bowl and let the playoffs take care of themselves.

Yeah, as I’ve said here before, I’m conflicted about this. I would love for Auburn to play in a higher tier bowl and get that exposure....but at the price of UGA getting the exposure for making it to the playoffs? Plus, I’ve gotten to where I just hate Smart and UGA. In the end, I guess I’d rather see UGA get shelled on national tv by LSU and accept a slightly lesser bowl assignment; hopefully we win that handily and have a great recruiting/offseason.

Bowl names morph all the time as to sponsors. New ones emerge! Can't keep up! Went to this site to catch up and found the below. 🤣🤣🤣

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Monday, December 23

2:30 ET, ESPN

Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL

American Athletic vs. Conference USA

Secondary: ACC

Projection: Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic

Last Season: Marshall 38, USF 20

Hilarious to me, this projection, with the specific Bowl game name and personalities involved, esp.with carousel rumors.

A trip to this list's FULL NAMES is an entertaining ride! Saturday humor. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefootballnews.com/2019/12/bowl-projections-college-football-playoff-predictions-after-utah-loss-oregon-rose-bowl/amp

32 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Bowl names morph all the time as to sponsors. New ones emerge! Can't keep up! Went to this site to catch up and found the below. 🤣🤣🤣

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Monday, December 23

2:30 ET, ESPN

Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL

American Athletic vs. Conference USA

Secondary: ACC

Projection: Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic

Last Season: Marshall 38, USF 20

Hilarious to me, this projection, with the specific Bowl game name and personalities involved, esp.with carousel rumors.

A trip to this list's FULL NAMES is an entertaining ride! Saturday humor. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefootballnews.com/2019/12/bowl-projections-college-football-playoff-predictions-after-utah-loss-oregon-rose-bowl/amp

Gaspirilla is a lot of fun if you’ve never been.  Oregon winning is supposed to cause some shuffling.  It’ll be exciting to see if any other upsets happen today.

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Gaspirilla is a lot of fun if you’ve never been.  Oregon winning is supposed to cause some shuffling.  It’ll be exciting to see if any other upsets happen today.

What IS a Gasparilla? Truly! 🤣🤣🤣 My world is children's lit, and it sounded like another name for a Yeti! You're right, it probably will shake out even more. Seeing Lane and Norvell at the "Bad Boy"...bowl just tickled my funny bone.

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

What IS a Gasparilla? Truly! 🤣🤣🤣 My world is children's lit, and it sounded like another name for a Yeti! You're right, it probably will shake out even more. Seeing Lane and Norvell at the "Bad Boy"...bowl just tickled my funny bone.

Gasparilla is like Mardi Gras with Pirates.  My roommate in Auburn was from Tampa so we went a couple times.

51 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Gasparilla is like Mardi Gras with Pirates.  My roommate in Auburn was from Tampa so we went a couple times.

That's neat! Bucs... I get it now! Thank you!

Archived