Matt Luke

AUDub

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had a young team, perhaps the youngest in the country this season. It will be interesting whom they hire and how they can mold the team. 

I have no expectations for them to be any good, but their fans are about as arrogant and delusional as bammers minus any sort of success. Fraught with moral victories, such as celebrating scoring 30+ points against bama(L), barely losing to us despite their big kick return and our 3 missed FGs(L), putting up 500 yards against LSU(L), etc. 

And that’s just 3 games from 2019. 

I think Ole Miss has made a mistake.  I thought they never should have fired David Cutcliffe either.  Matt Luke has had to coach a team at a distinct disadvantage.  They should have given him another year or two.  That's my opinion anyway...

10 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I think Ole Miss has made a mistake.  I thought they never should have fired David Cutcliffe either.  Matt Luke has had to coach a team at a distinct disadvantage.  They should have given him another year or two.  That's my opinion anyway...

With a team as young as they are there’s only 2 options really. See what Luke can do, or bring in fresh(or old—Freeze) blood. 

Depending who they hire could set them back years and years a la Arkansas. I would’ve given Luke another year with a little more experienced roster. 

They definitely should consider a defensive minded coach because, well, their defense is so, so trash. 

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They definitely should consider a defensive minded coach because, well, their defense is so, so trash. 

They picked a bad time to go with the Landshark mascot, for sure. 

They may go after Chad Morris, his program may fit well there after the Freeze years, would be a familiar name in that region for recruits, and he is available.

who knows..we have 2 teams in the SEC who now need a new HC. Arkansas and Old Piss. I see a wild card pick with them offering Joe Brady at LSU the job. Heck, why not? They do not have the money we have and will have to depend on a young and up and coming coach. THey could even offer the job to Gus, but just do not have the money to lure him away.

Freeze will not be back at OM. He did too much damage to hire for a 2nd term. Could offer Mark Stoops as well from UK. I do not see them being able to pay more than 3.5 million  a season. I think Arky will pay more than OM imho.

31 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

They may go after Chad Morris, his program may fit well there after the Freeze years, would be a familiar name in that region for recruits, and he is available.

I’d laugh my ass off if they got Morris. 

Expected it but thought he might make another year....but the ending of the Egg Bowl was too much for their OM folks to swallow.   They have really screwed up a decent program chasing the magic bullet in coaching.     As noted above, Luke held it together for while during probation while guys like Paterson and others bailed out and this year had  a team of freshmen ….probably half walk-ons. 

So....we have OM, Arky and Missouri looking for new coaches......and I still wonder about MSU's coach....and Vandy too.   Vandy is rarely competitive but they are about as low as I can recall.  Franklin proved it's possible to be competitive.....but they are really bad now.   SO.....I think Mason is likely gone.

PS....seems that Muschamp is on thin ice too and the Clemson game did not help though he has some excuses because of injuries. Still, read their BOT was split about 50/50 on keeping him a few weeks ago. 

I know several Ole Miss alums and or fans.  They really like that Luke was one of theirs and an all around good guy.  It is just not fair (not a Saban reference) that he got the job when he did.  The program was going on probation and players jumping ship right and left. Most think he did the best he could do under the circumstances.  I hate it for him.  I think with a couple more years he could have them competitive again. 

5 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

They won't, but they should just promote Rich Rodriguez.  He and Plumlee could be very good for each other.

WDE!

Edit:  If they don't, maybe we should.

I have a good friend who lives in Arizona ….hates RR....but also Sumlin too....Could be that RR could use Plumlee like he did Pat White but overall, his coaching success was mostly tied to White....nothing much since then. 

Matt Luke was a great OL coach and a stud recruiter as a position coach. I hope  JB retires and we hire Luke!!! That is the stud OL hire that everyone asks who we could get.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I have a good friend who lives in Arizona ….hates RR....but also Sumlin too....Could be that RR could use Plumlee like he did Pat White but overall, his coaching success was mostly tied to White....nothing much since then. 

CRR definitely has a reputation for being an a-hole, but Ole Miss probably needs someone with an edge if they want to stay out of the cellar.  And I'm not sure they can do much better at this point.  I don't know, maybe Ole Miss is a better job than I'm giving them credit for.

WDE!

6 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

CRR definitely has a reputation for being an a-hole, but Ole Miss probably needs someone with an edge if they want to stay out of the cellar.  And I'm not sure they can do much better at this point.  I don't know, maybe Ole Miss is a better job than I'm giving them credit for.

WDE!

WE NEED Ole Miss to continue to be down. We are starting to recruit the state of MS a lot more frequently ever since Woodson got on our staff. And with Ole Miss and Miss St being down we are having some success *knock on wood*. It is a underrated talent rich state that we need to keep taking advantage of because there is no traditional powerhouse there. I REALLY hope they are not able to pull Norvell or Lane. RR I would be fine with. He is just a retread at this point and cannot recruit. He relied mainly on juco guys at his last stop Arizona.

8 minutes ago, CR said:

Of the 3 open SEC jobs is Ole Miss actually the most attractive?

Absolutely. I would say Mizzou is dead last. Terrible facilities. Basketball school. And the fan support has not been there at all since Pinkel retired. Those stands look like a mid major game when I flip around on saturdays and find the Mizzou game. And they have not been Arky level bad either. They were solid with Odom when he had Drew Locke and were really entertaining to watch. I bet they go after their old OC in Josh Heupel and fail miserably to land him.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolutely. I would say Mizzou is dead last. Terrible facilities. Basketball school. And the fan support has not been there at all since Pinkel retired. Those stands look like a mid major game when I flip around on saturdays and find the Mizzou game. And they have not been Arky level bad either. They were solid with Odom when he had Drew Locke and were really entertaining to watch. I bet they go after their old OC in Josh Heupel and fail miserably.

Agreed and its not really close in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolutely. I would say Mizzou is dead last. Terrible facilities. Basketball school. And the fan support has not been there at all since Pinkel retired. Those stands look like a mid major game when I flip around on saturdays and find the Mizzou game. And they have not been Arky level bad either. They were solid with Odom when he had Drew Locke and were really entertaining to watch. I bet they go after their old OC in Josh Heupel and fail miserably.

I think recruiting base gives Ole Miss an edge on the other two for sure.  Id go 1)Ole Miss  2)Arky  3)Mizzou

Archived