Matt Luke

AUDub

Just now, CR said:

I think recruiting base gives Ole Miss an edge on the other two for sure.  Id go 1)Ole Miss  2)Arky  3)Mizzou

YES SIR! Completely co sign that. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CR said:

I think recruiting base gives Ole Miss an edge on the other two for sure.  Id go 1)Ole Miss  2)Arky  3)Mizzou

Best I can tell, OM has the best facilities and it's a nice classic campus and school has some money.   Just seems like they've dug themselves into such a hole that getting out is gonna be a huge task with a schedule that includes AU, Ala, LSU and TAMU.....just can't see them every getting to the same level on a going basis.   Truly, getting to a decent bowl game is a reasonable goal for them.

11 minutes ago, CR said:

Pretty much this. Ole Miss doesn't have too much in the way of fertile recruiting ground compared to us, Bama etc. , but they have the best access of the 3. Arkansas can poach from Texas and Louisiana on occasion. Mizzou? What ground they have, few want. 

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Matt Luke was a great OL coach and a stud recruiter as a position coach. I hope  JB retires and we hire Luke!!! That is the stud OL hire that everyone asks who we could get.

Given the situation, I would be okay with just about anyone not named J.B. or Herb.

Luke would be acceptable.  Addazio is now unemployed, he did well at UF way back when.  But my first call might be to Brent Key at Georgia Tech.  It would probably take additional compensation to get him away from his alma mater, but I think he's a really good coach/recruiter.  Three years at uat, ten at UCF, and now Atlanta.  Probably has some great connections in our traditional recruiting area.

WDE!

10 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Given the situation, I would be okay with just about anyone not named J.B. or Herb.

Luke would be acceptable.  Addazio is now unemployed, he did well at UF way back when.  But my first call might be to Brent Key at Georgia Tech.  It would probably take additional compensation to get him away from his alma mater, but I think he's a really good coach/recruiter.  Three years at uat, ten at UCF, and now Atlanta.  Probably has some great connections in our traditional recruiting area.

WDE!

It is the only glaring hole as far as recruiting goes on our whole staff. PLEASE PLEASE like you said ANYONE but JB or Herb.

22 minutes ago, CR said:

Of the 3 open SEC jobs is Ole Miss actually the most attractive?

My initial reaction was, yes, absolutely.  But after some thought I would put Arkansas way ahead of the other two.  Their facilities are much better, and they have Jerry Jones writing checks.  Attractive recruiting base too.  Petrino was doing scary things before the midnight rider incident.  

WDE!

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

My initial reaction was, yes, absolutely.  But after some thought I would put Arkansas way ahead of the other two.  Their facilities are much better, and they have Jerry Jones writing checks.  Attractive recruiting base too.  Petrino was doing scary things before the midnight rider incident.  

WDE!

Petrino was not recruiting well though. He is just a absolute master of offensive evals and developing WR's and QB's. His passing schemes and concepts are so sophisticated and gave us FITS. But the margin of error is so thin when you are not stacking up talent class after class. Your player development has to be top notch and it def was at Arky. Don't you think the state of MS has significantly better talent than Arky? I see your point on Jerry and facilities argument for sure though.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

it is the only glaring hole as far as recruiting goes on our whole staff. PLEASE PLEASE like you said ANYONE but JB or Herb.

I'm comfortable with glaring hole, but I would describe it as a lightless vortex of gloom and despair.

WDE!

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

I'm comfortable with glaring hole, but I would describe it as a lightless vortex of gloom and despair.

WDE!

yt.gif

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Petrino was not recruiting well though. He is just a absolute master of offensive evals and developing WR's and QB's. His passing schemes and concepts are so sophisticated and gave us FITS. But the margin of error is so thin when you are not stacking up talent class after class. Your player development has to be top notch and it def was at Arky. Don't you think the state of MS has significantly better talent than Arky? I see your point on Jerry and facilities argument for sure though.

The state, maybe, but that doesn't define the recruiting area.  I think Arkansas can recruit Texas and probably Louisiana easier than Ole Miss.

For the record, I hope they all strike out.  I wish Derek Dooley could take all three jobs.  Alas, I'm left with hoping Missouri promotes Derek Dooley, Arkansas removes the interim title on Lunney, and Ole Miss hires the actor that played Freeze in The Blind Side.

WDE!

If they get Freeze again, id honestly be impressed. Like that would just be admirable. Anyway, Luke wasn't bad for what they needed, he was like what people thought Orgeron was. I wouldve kept him at least another season unless I was 100% sure I have an elite coach coming up 

8 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

The state, maybe, but that doesn't define the recruiting area.  I think Arkansas can recruit Texas and probably Louisiana easier than Ole Miss.

For the record, I hope they all strike out.  I wish Derek Dooley could take all three jobs.  Alas, I'm left with hoping Missouri promotes Derek Dooley, Arkansas removes the interim title on Lunney, and Ole Miss hires the actor that played Freeze in The Blind Side.

WDE!

Now that would be some kind of BONA FIDE! 🤣🤣

Vlcsnap-10519755.png

896full-the-blind-side-2009-screenshot-1.jpg

hgfrz.jpg

My Arkansas buddy is pissed. He hates Ole Miss(played for Freeze in HS). He’d love nothing more than for Ole Miss to crash and burn. 

That said, he’s pissed because now he feels that Mizzou, Arky, and OM will all be now competing for the same brand of coaches. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

My Arkansas buddy is pissed. He hates Ole Miss(played for Freeze in HS). He’d love nothing more than for Ole Miss to crash and burn. 

That said, he’s pissed because now he feels that Mizzou, Arky, and OM will all be now competing for the same brand of coaches. 

Wasn't Freeze just the womens bball coach in high school for a short time? That always cracks me up about ol Bucky! haha.

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they get Freeze again, id honestly be impressed. Like that would just be admirable. Anyway, Luke wasn't bad for what they needed, he was like what people thought Orgeron was. I wouldve kept him at least another season unless I was 100% sure I have an elite coach coming up 

Freeze going back to OM will be nothing but a pipe dream. You want to put your school under the NCAA magnifying glass? Hiring a coach back after sanctions are lifted is how you do it. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wasn't Freeze just the womens bball coach in high school for a short time? That always cracks me up about ol Bucky! haha.

That I don’t know. He coached at Briarcrest, which is a stone’s throw away from my house. 

Posted on 74 mins, , User Since 24228 months ago, User Post Count: 0

The Ole Miss football team looked more like an angry mob as it exited the Manning Center and a meeting with athletics director Keith Carter on Sunday night.

Carter summoned the team to address them after it was announced head coach Matt Luke had been fired. Luke was not present.

Players began storming out shortly after Carter began speaking. One estimate counted the number at approximately 40. It was unclear how many players were actually on campus to attend the meeting.

"(Expletive) Ole Miss," said junior defensive lineman Tariquious Tisdale. "That's my statement."

Sophomore defensive back Keidron Smith simply brushed by the media saying, "Y'all don't want to hear what I would say right now." Senior offensive lineman Michael Howard echoed the same sentiments. "I wouldn't do it," Howard said as a reporter approached him.

The third player out of the building, who left while Carter had just started addressing the team, was true freshman running back Jerrion Ealy, who declined to comment but was visibly upset.

Inside, according to reports from players, a scene played out in an open discussion setting. Several players described the scene as "ugly and unruly." Players told Carter, "this recruiting class is going to go to (expletive)."

Outside, players stormed through the doors leaving Carter speaking inside the team room to less than a full audience.

"It's shocking," said true freshman defensive tackle Patrick Lucas. "There was a lot of stuff going around about him getting fired, but I didn't ever believe it would happen. I don't think he should have gotten fired. It takes more than two years to build up what you inherited. That was full of crap. I came here and I bought into what he was trying to do.

"Keith Carter...whatever he was saying in there, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. I left early. I couldn't take it no more...Yeah, we went 4-8, but we as a team felt next year was going to be our year."

Lucas was asked if he would consider transferring.

"I don't know what my options are. To the fans, they really don't care about us, honestly. They really don't care about us. If we win, they care. If we lose, they hate us and bash us," Lucas continued.

True freshman quarterback John Rhys Plumlee was en route back to Oxford from his hometown when the news broke. Plumlee pulled into the parking lot of the Manning Center after most of his teammates had exited the building. He told the media that he was going inside to have a meeting with Carter and offensive graduate assistant Ryan Garrett.

"I can't give any comments right now. I don't really know yet," Plumlee said as he exited his vehicle.

"I'm just going to go in there and try to figure it out for myself...and maybe ask some questions and stuff."

Plumlee said he had no contact with the Ole Miss coaching staff on Sunday, other than Garrett.

Junior center Eli Johnson was one of the calmer voices to emerge from the Manning Center. Johnson was stopped by the media awaiting outside.

"We just kind of had an open discussion with our athletic director, Keith Carter. He just had a big conversation. That was pretty much it...just everybody voicing their opinions on things. He gave an opening statement," Johnson related.

"Everybody just loves Coach Luke and how much he gave this university and how much he cared for us. It's a hard day for Ole Miss football. I think everybody would have still liked to see Coach Luke get some more time."

Luke is expected to address the team for a final time on Monday.

"I'm going to give him a hug and just tell him thank you for everything," said Johnson. "I'm not sure what he'll say or how he'll handle it. I do think he should have got some more time."

Johnson was asked to describe the scene inside the team room.

"Everybody is kind of upset that Coach Luke is not going to be here with us anymore, and that's understandable. I'm upset. I would have liked to finish my career with Coach Luke, but that's life and life happens. I'm just going to do my best to help this team win football games next year going forward. I guess we just have to move forward from here," said Johnson.

"That's what concerns me, though. I've been an Ole Miss football fan my entire life. A guy like me...I'm going to be all in on this program moving forward just because it's Ole Miss football and regardless of who the coach is. I hate it's not going to be Coach Luke, but that's not the case with a lot of guys. A lot of guys came to school here because of Coach Luke and that don't have any ties to Ole Miss football. That's what scares me...is how are those guys going to respond?"

Senior defensive back Myles Hartsfield was angered at the delivery method Ole Miss used to inform the players of the decision to fire Luke.

"To find out on Twitter, come on son," Hartsfield said.

Senior linebacker Willie Hibbler was one of the first players to walk out the door.

"Keith Carter is still talking. The meeting is still going on, but we walked out. Basically one of your top players on offense (Jerrion Ealy) walked out. That tells you a lot. I think they made the move off wins and losses. They didn't make the move off what the players feel. We're the ones out there practicing and in meetings with him every day," said Hibbler.

"You've got a big recruiting weekend coming up this weekend. I know none of the players want to come in when they don't know who their leader is or who's going to be in charge of the meetings."

Reserve offensive lineman Peyton Cox said, "Not a single person wanted him to be fired. Everybody loved him and wanted him to continue."

Junior offensive lineman Chandler Tuitt said the players felt lost and disappointed.

"Y'all have made a decision without even telling us, first of all," Tuitt said. "We're just all lost. Half the team is talking about leaving. If you clean house again, I don't think anyone is going to stay..."

As far as the assistants on the staff, "they say they don't know," said Tuitt.

"I've been here four years and this is going to be our third coach come in. You think it's going to be bad now. If this new coach ain't about family, then you're going to lose a lot of players. That's just point blank. You better realize, there's no program without no players. You're basing this stuff off the fans, but we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest with you. We're all here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault.

"We were just disappointed. We didn't want to hear it (from Carter). We just didn't want to hear it."

I always feel inclined to talk about Ole Miss and Arkansas s*** because my two best friends are vehement fans of either team.

But I see so many more Ole Miss fans on a regular basis because I work retail and I’m right on the border of TN and Mississippi. I will say that MSU fans are definitely the Auburn team of the rivalry. They’re more chill and laid back, yet still have a chip on their shoulder. 

Ole Miss fans are some of the most underserving, arrogant fans I’ve ever come into contact with. Won’t ever forget a night in 2010, chilling at a local diner late night, wearing an Auburn hat and some drunk rebs came up to me talking s*** about how they were going to kill us yadda yadda. We beat them 51-31. Including a TD pass from Kodi Burns to a one Mr. Cameron Newton. Vaught Hemingway Stadium has solid bbq nachos though. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I always feel inclined to talk about Ole Miss and Arkansas s*** because my two best friends are vehement fans of either team.

But I see so many more Ole Miss fans on a regular basis because I work retail and I’m right on the border of TN and Mississippi. I will say that MSU fans are definitely the Auburn team of the rivalry. They’re more chill and laid back, yet still have a chip on their shoulder. 

Ole Miss fans are some of the most underserving, arrogant fans I’ve ever come into contact with. Won’t ever forget a night in 2010, chilling at a local diner late night, wearing an Auburn hat and some drunk rebs came up to me talking s*** about how they were going to kill us yadda yadda. We beat them 51-31. Including a TD pass to one Mr. Cameron Newton. Vaught Hemingway has solid bbq nachos though. 

LMAO THANK GOD I FINALLY KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!!!! I always wondered why you were always randomly un prompted talking about Ole Miss and Arky!! I sometimes find myself asking myself IS HE ON THE RIGHT BOARD?! lol. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!!

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:
Posted on 74 mins, , User Since 24228 months ago, User Post Count: 0

The Ole Miss football team looked more like an angry mob as it exited the Manning Center and a meeting with athletics director Keith Carter on Sunday night.

Carter summoned the team to address them after it was announced head coach Matt Luke had been fired. Luke was not present.

Players began storming out shortly after Carter began speaking. One estimate counted the number at approximately 40. It was unclear how many players were actually on campus to attend the meeting.

"(Expletive) Ole Miss," said junior defensive lineman Tariquious Tisdale. "That's my statement."

Sophomore defensive back Keidron Smith simply brushed by the media saying, "Y'all don't want to hear what I would say right now." Senior offensive lineman Michael Howard echoed the same sentiments. "I wouldn't do it," Howard said as a reporter approached him.

The third player out of the building, who left while Carter had just started addressing the team, was true freshman running back Jerrion Ealy, who declined to comment but was visibly upset.

Inside, according to reports from players, a scene played out in an open discussion setting. Several players described the scene as "ugly and unruly." Players told Carter, "this recruiting class is going to go to (expletive)."

Outside, players stormed through the doors leaving Carter speaking inside the team room to less than a full audience.

"It's shocking," said true freshman defensive tackle Patrick Lucas. "There was a lot of stuff going around about him getting fired, but I didn't ever believe it would happen. I don't think he should have gotten fired. It takes more than two years to build up what you inherited. That was full of crap. I came here and I bought into what he was trying to do.

"Keith Carter...whatever he was saying in there, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. I left early. I couldn't take it no more...Yeah, we went 4-8, but we as a team felt next year was going to be our year."

Lucas was asked if he would consider transferring.

"I don't know what my options are. To the fans, they really don't care about us, honestly. They really don't care about us. If we win, they care. If we lose, they hate us and bash us," Lucas continued.

True freshman quarterback John Rhys Plumlee was en route back to Oxford from his hometown when the news broke. Plumlee pulled into the parking lot of the Manning Center after most of his teammates had exited the building. He told the media that he was going inside to have a meeting with Carter and offensive graduate assistant Ryan Garrett.

"I can't give any comments right now. I don't really know yet," Plumlee said as he exited his vehicle.

"I'm just going to go in there and try to figure it out for myself...and maybe ask some questions and stuff."

Plumlee said he had no contact with the Ole Miss coaching staff on Sunday, other than Garrett.

Junior center Eli Johnson was one of the calmer voices to emerge from the Manning Center. Johnson was stopped by the media awaiting outside.

"We just kind of had an open discussion with our athletic director, Keith Carter. He just had a big conversation. That was pretty much it...just everybody voicing their opinions on things. He gave an opening statement," Johnson related.

"Everybody just loves Coach Luke and how much he gave this university and how much he cared for us. It's a hard day for Ole Miss football. I think everybody would have still liked to see Coach Luke get some more time."

Luke is expected to address the team for a final time on Monday.

"I'm going to give him a hug and just tell him thank you for everything," said Johnson. "I'm not sure what he'll say or how he'll handle it. I do think he should have got some more time."

Johnson was asked to describe the scene inside the team room.

"Everybody is kind of upset that Coach Luke is not going to be here with us anymore, and that's understandable. I'm upset. I would have liked to finish my career with Coach Luke, but that's life and life happens. I'm just going to do my best to help this team win football games next year going forward. I guess we just have to move forward from here," said Johnson.

"That's what concerns me, though. I've been an Ole Miss football fan my entire life. A guy like me...I'm going to be all in on this program moving forward just because it's Ole Miss football and regardless of who the coach is. I hate it's not going to be Coach Luke, but that's not the case with a lot of guys. A lot of guys came to school here because of Coach Luke and that don't have any ties to Ole Miss football. That's what scares me...is how are those guys going to respond?"

Senior defensive back Myles Hartsfield was angered at the delivery method Ole Miss used to inform the players of the decision to fire Luke.

"To find out on Twitter, come on son," Hartsfield said.

Senior linebacker Willie Hibbler was one of the first players to walk out the door.

"Keith Carter is still talking. The meeting is still going on, but we walked out. Basically one of your top players on offense (Jerrion Ealy) walked out. That tells you a lot. I think they made the move off wins and losses. They didn't make the move off what the players feel. We're the ones out there practicing and in meetings with him every day," said Hibbler.

"You've got a big recruiting weekend coming up this weekend. I know none of the players want to come in when they don't know who their leader is or who's going to be in charge of the meetings."

Reserve offensive lineman Peyton Cox said, "Not a single person wanted him to be fired. Everybody loved him and wanted him to continue."

Junior offensive lineman Chandler Tuitt said the players felt lost and disappointed.

"Y'all have made a decision without even telling us, first of all," Tuitt said. "We're just all lost. Half the team is talking about leaving. If you clean house again, I don't think anyone is going to stay..."

As far as the assistants on the staff, "they say they don't know," said Tuitt.

"I've been here four years and this is going to be our third coach come in. You think it's going to be bad now. If this new coach ain't about family, then you're going to lose a lot of players. That's just point blank. You better realize, there's no program without no players. You're basing this stuff off the fans, but we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest with you. We're all here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault.

"We were just disappointed. We didn't want to hear it (from Carter). We just didn't want to hear it."

Got a link to this article? Arkansas buddy would love it. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got a link to this article? Arkansas buddy would love it. 

https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/board/103605/Contents/angry-players-storm-out-of-sunday-meeting-with-ad-keith-carter-139640304/

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

LMAO THANK GOD I FINALLY KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!!!! I always wondered why you were always randomly un prompted talking about Ole Miss and Arky!! I sometimes find myself asking myself IS HE ON THE RIGHT BOARD?! lol. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!!

Lol. My Arkansas buddy knows so much about sports and trivia it’s ridiculous. He could legit tell you who won the 1983 NBA MVP just off the top of his head. But he’s Razorback through and through. Love him to death because I can just be like, “that Bulls team in 94...” and off we go. 

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

who knows..we have 2 teams in the SEC who now need a new HC. Arkansas and Old Piss. I see a wild card pick with them offering Joe Brady at LSU the job. Heck, why not? They do not have the money we have and will have to depend on a young and up and coming coach. THey could even offer the job to Gus, but just do not have the money to lure him away.

Freeze will not be back at OM. He did too much damage to hire for a 2nd term. Could offer Mark Stoops as well from UK. I do not see them being able to pay more than 3.5 million  a season. I think Arky will pay more than OM imho.

3 if you really want to count Missouri...🙄

I kind of liked Matt Luke when I watched him on the NC coaches room. But I really don't understand firing coaches at Arky and Ole Miss without really letting try. Matt Luke convinced alot of those players to stick it out.. Chad Morris gone after 2 Seasons, Matt Luke 3. Seems like there should be more of a chance there. Look out Tennesse And Miss St, you're next. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Freeze going back to OM will be nothing but a pipe dream. You want to put your school under the NCAA magnifying glass? Hiring a coach back after sanctions are lifted is how you do it. 

Hire him and don’t cheat? Freeze is the at worst second best offensive mind in the SEC and probably the second best HC behind Coach O, only because he hired the best offensive mind in Brady. Say **** the NCAA and do your thing, it’s not like Ole Miss has anything to lose in its football program 

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hire him and don’t cheat? Freeze is the at worst second best offensive mind in the SEC and probably the second best HC behind Coach O, only because he hired the best offensive mind in Brady. Say **** the NCAA and do your thing, it’s not like Ole Miss has anything to lose in its football program 

Any misstep from Ole Miss would probably get them hammered(again). Perhaps the only reason they were successful under Freeze was because they did cheat to get recruits?

And you really put Saban behind Orgeron and Freeze?

Archived