Matt Luke

AUDub

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They had a young team, perhaps the youngest in the country this season. It will be interesting whom they hire and how they can mold the team. 

I have no expectations for them to be any good, but their fans are about as arrogant and delusional as bammers minus any sort of success. Fraught with moral victories, such as celebrating scoring 30+ points against bama(L), barely losing to us despite their big kick return and our 3 missed FGs(L), putting up 500 yards against LSU(L), etc. 

And that’s just 3 games from 2019. 

I guess 2014-2015 when Landsharks won some big games (but still did not play for any championships) spoiled them.

15 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

They won't, but they should just promote Rich Rodriguez.  He and Plumlee could be very good for each other.

WDE!

Edit:  If they don't, maybe we should.

If RR couldnt maximize Plumlee as the OC, I doubt he'd do any better as the HC.

33 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

If RR couldnt maximize Plumlee as the OC, I doubt he'd do any better as the HC.

A true freshman.....thought he had a pretty good year considering the general lack of talent at OM.....RR better as an OC IMO....

Ol Miss better hope they hit it big with the next coach. Firing an Ol Miss man who took over while the team was on probation was a gutsy move by the AD. Carter better get it right or he'll be next

Also, Norvell would be wise to continue to kick ass at Memphis until he is offered a top job. Like Texas, USCw....type job. I don't see the wisdom in moving from Memphis to Ol Miss. I'm sure he can make more at ol miss but that would be a very short sighted view

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Matt Luke was a great OL coach and a stud recruiter as a position coach. I hope  JB retires and we hire Luke!!! That is the stud OL hire that everyone asks who we could get.

This idea crossed my mind as well after I found out he was fired. We would have to pay him over $500,000 to get him. I do like this idea very much my friend!

Ole Miss has hired Mike Leach 

Edit: I haven’t seen anything official. I only have the following link I posted. 

8 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Ole Miss is dumb for firing him. But boy O boy what a awesome replacement for JB, if he were to retire. I think we really need to try to get him if possible.

He was not getting the job done....winning ball games and being competitive......and I'm thinking that his game management/team management skills were what was lacking.....but agree that he will make someone a good  OL coach if he choses to step back.    I don't think he was in the HC market when OM took him.....and probably not going to be a HC candidate right away....JMO....I'd take him at AU in place of JBG [.    

21 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The Ole Miss fanbase loves Matt Luke btw. He carried them through their probationary period. They also want to re-hire Freeze. 🧐🤦‍♂️

I don't know a single Ole Miss fan who wanted us (Ole Miss grad here) to keep him, fwiw. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Luke needed to go, badly. Frankly, I'm shocked at all the surprise I've read and heard in reaction to his firing. 

That's true...he was a sentimental favorite because he took the job when about nobody would have wanted it.....but you can only go so long on sentiment and the loss to MSU this past weekend was the final straw.  

Seems the team / players were not expecting it and I guess that is because there must not have been much conversation about a coaching change among the PTBs or OM fans.  Usually the handwriting is on the wall and alums are pushing for change when a move is made.....but I don't recall hearing much flack about him during the season. :dunno:

I was thinking MSU and Vandy might make moves but with so many jobs coming open it will be a tough year for teams in their situations to find new coaches who will generate any level of excitement among their fans...so those schools may just stick it out for another year.       

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Luke needed to go, badly. Frankly, I'm shocked at all the surprise I've read and heard in reaction to his firing. 

it was how they did it.he was at a recruits house trying to talk the kid into coming to ol miss when they called and told him to pack.  that is one crappy way to fire someone.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's true...he was a sentimental favorite because he took the job when about nobody would have wanted it.....but you can only go so long on sentiment and the loss to MSU this past weekend was the final straw.  

Seems the team / players were not expecting it and I guess that is because there must not have been much conversation about a coaching change among the PTBs or OM fans.  Usually the handwriting is on the wall and alums are pushing for change when a move is made.....but I don't recall hearing much flack about him during the season. :dunno:

I was thinking MSU and Vandy might make moves but with so many jobs coming open it will be a tough year for teams in their situations to find new coaches who will generate any level of excitement among their fans...so those schools may just stick it out for another year.       

Oh there was definitely a lot of pressure to fire him, since mid-season at least. 

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

it was how they did it.he was at a recruits house trying to talk the kid into coming to ol miss when they called and told him to pack.  that is one crappy way to fire someone.

Who was it.?  ..Tubs maybe having dinner with a bunch of recruits and got up to answer the phone, and did not go back to the group when he took the AU job.  Swear I heard that but might have been a bama "urban legend".  :dunno:

At least they did not fire him on the sidelines after a game …..or at the airport on the way home.   Sometimes those divorces are really brutal. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Oh there was definitely a lot of pressure to fire him, since mid-season at least. 

Thanks...I'm in NC and mostly all I recall was the AU discussions...

Just now, AU64 said:

Who was it.?  ..Tubs maybe having dinner with a bunch of recruits and got up to answer the phone, and did not go back to the group when he took the AU job.  Swear I heard that but might have been a bama "urban legend".  :dunno:

At least they did not fire him on the sidelines after a game …..or at the airport on the way home.   Sometimes those divorces are really brutal. 

yes i heard tubs walked out as well. who knows the truth? people called him a liar when he left ol miss after saying he would never leave but in truth the university promised a huge upgrade to the facilities and after they put him off for the second or third time he left.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

..Tubs maybe having dinner with a bunch of recruits and got up to answer the phone, and did not go back to the group when he took the AU job.  Swear I heard that but might have been a bama "urban legend"

The way I heard this tale is when he took the job at Cincinnati.  He was having dinner in Lubbock while recruiting for Texas Tech.  Of course, there is no good way to get fired.

Archived