The Gus Bus

AuburnTiger4Life

What say you?   

88 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

• I’m back on the bus
    • I’m still not on the bus
    • I’m undecided

Check in with me after the bowl game. Gus long ago proved he can attain high levels of excellence. It’s the sustaining he struggles with. We have some serious momentum right now, at a time when little Nicky is showing some chinks in the armor. Can Gustavo accelerate the momentum, spank our bowl opponent, and close like a fiend on the recruiting trail? And is he willing to do what is necessary to upgrade our o-line coach? Those things will determine whether I’m back on our not. Meanwhile, I will savor this Iron Bowl for a long time. 

One game shouldn’t change your mind either way. If it does, you aren’t being analytical and are following a gut reaction. 
That said (and I’ve been vocal about this all season), I believe most of the Gus hate has been gut reaction rather than analytical anyway. His success across his tenure hasn’t been stellar, but it’s been enough to keep his job. Won’t say anymore because I’ve had pages of discussion with people about this already.

Good thoughts @Gowebb11 and @AUFriction. I'm still tentatively on the bus, hoping that it will all finally come together for him. I think he has the potential to own this state and really compete nationally. Also, because I don't know who else would fit at this point in time. BUT, the divided fan base is brutal to me. I cannot, cannot, cannot stand it. It physically affects me and takes all the fun out of football, or at least out of discussing football with anyone. Thank God we won the Iron Bowl, because I had just about left this site and was forced to read watered-down Auburn news off the AuburnTigers.com website!!!

31 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Check in with me after the bowl game. Gus long ago proved he can attain high levels of excellence. It’s the sustaining he struggles with. We have some serious momentum right now, at a time when little Nicky is showing some chinks in the armor. Can Gustavo accelerate the momentum, spank our bowl opponent, and close like a fiend on the recruiting trail? And is he willing to do what is necessary to upgrade our o-line coach? Those things will determine whether I’m back on our not. Meanwhile, I will savor this Iron Bowl for a long time. 

Gus needs to do more than win a meaningless bowl game for me. He needs to do more than hire an oline coach/oline recruiter. I want to see Gus hire an o coordinator and let him coach. I want Gus to be the head coach/CEO. 

Having said that, hat tip to Gus on the Iron Bowl. I thought he coached well and his team responded. The call for an extra second at the half and his player grouping to end the game was brilliant.

11 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Good thoughts @Gowebb11 and @AUFriction. I'm still tentatively on the bus, hoping that it will all finally come together for him. I think he has the potential to own this state and really compete nationally. Also, because I don't know who else would fit at this point in time. BUT, the divided fan base is brutal to me. I cannot, cannot, cannot stand it. It physically affects me and takes all the fun out of football, or at least out of discussing football with anyone. Thank God we won the Iron Bowl, because I had just about left this site and was forced to read watered-down Auburn news off the AuburnTigers.com website!!!

I agree on the divided fan base. And how the fun has been taken away sometimes. But I encourage you not to leave. We need all perspectives on this forum, and you bring a positivity that we need. Let’s continue to enjoy this years Iron Bowl and get ready to watch our Tigers one more time in the Bowl. And War Eagle always!

I will support the man if he is walking the sideline. If they make a change I have nothing bad to say about Gus and will support the next guy.

Keys for me with Gus are if he makes changes during the off season. I appreciate all that many of the coaches did for Auburn as players and as coaches, but feel like we need improvements  at the positions.

If he doesn't I will be surprised if the trigger is not pulled on him this time next year.

It depends on the need on improvement at a certain key positions or atleast the attempt to improve honestly for me. The other side of the argument I’ve always had is who will you get that without a shadow of a doubt would be better?

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Gus needs to do more than win a meaningless bowl game for me. He needs to do more than hire an oline coach/oline recruiter. I want to see Gus hire an o coordinator and let him coach. I want Gus to be the head coach/CEO. 

I’m afraid this ship has sailed on an OC. Gus cannot relinquish control. It’s just not in him.  But I do believe this year was a huge step forward. As much as it seems like this year was terrible offensively, AU was 3D in the SEC in points per game, and yards per game. Thats pretty impressive considering our schedule and rookie QB. The 2 teams ahead of us have future first round QBs. The other reason I’m hopeful is we saw a tremendous diversification of our passing game. Slants, shuttle passes, seam routes, crossing routes, and swing passes. The WRs stepped up big time and we are bringing in arguably the most talented class in years for 2020. He also trusted Caddy’s RB by committee instead of running one guy into the ground. All of that is a step forward. That’s why I mentioned the O line. I expected more from 5 seniors. They weren’t aggressive enough and couldn’t get push against the good teams. Grimes is a journeyman coach who doesn’t like to recruit. Gus needs to address that. If he doesn’t, the aforementioned steps forward will regress next year. FWIW, I also don’t believe any bowl game is meaningless. It is a chance to build on the momentum of the Iron Bowl, and set the tone for next years team. A win won’t convince me all is well, but I would like to see our momentum sustained into next fall. 

Back on the bus after one game? That's how he got his extension. It what logical world would anyone get back on the bus?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Back on the bus after one game? That's how he got his extension. It what logical world would anyone get back on the bus?

Only 14% back on the bus. I will give them a pass.

dye was on finebaum today and he stated auburn would not let gus hire or fire certain coaches. he talked like it had held gus back. does anyone know how true this is and how it might have effected gusters ability to do his job? i would love to know what dye was talking about. he also mentioned that grimes stated in that next years oline will be way more talented than this years. is it possible that maybe some folks are continually messing with gus behind the scenes and might be part of his struggles? i am serious when i say i have no idea.

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

dye was on finebaum today and he stated auburn would not let gus hire or fire certain coaches. he talked like it had held gus back. does anyone know how true this is and how it might have effected gusters ability to do his job? i would love to know what dye was talking about. he also mentioned that grimes stated in that next years oline will be way more talented than this years. is it possible that maybe some folks are continually messing with gus behind the scenes and might be part of his struggles? i am serious when i say i have no idea.

In regards to the offensive line I feel that statement is accurate. But will they be ready to play in time. It seems like it takes 7 or 8 games for the squad to get up to task with Grimes. I applaud their performance towards the end of the season. Much improved

Fantastically entertaining game.  However, without Tua, and with a pedestrian Defense, this bammer edition was not even on the same level as UF nor LSU.... maybe not even thUga.  If they were, then I'd be even MORE disappointed in those offensive performances than I already am.

As it is, Gus is still the HC for the foreseeable future so it is what it is.  Hopefully.....yet again.....some changes are made (particularly to the O-Line situation) and we'll see actual progress next year but I won't be "on the bus" until we quit seeing 3-5 total head-scratchers per year.

Just my opinion....of course, you're welcome to yours.

War Eagle!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I’m relying on Uber for a while. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Who is Gus trying to hire or fire? So if he is trying to fire say.. Kevin Steele, I hope someone slaps some sense into him.. but honestly, I wonder about those comments as well. And if this is true, this is where I have a problem with our PTB.. if you are going to keep Gus at least let the man run his program the way he sees fit, let him hire and fire and whatever else he wants to do. We already know his offense isn’t going to change .. it is what it is and Gus taking over the play calling duties hasn’t changed anything. But having a head coach who is handcuffed as coach Dye suggest, is not good and I hope we are not doing that. As much as I want Gus gone, what would a new coach do if he is being handcuffed? This is why we will probably never get a big time coach.. and if it is not true, coach Dye shouldn’t be saying that. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

One game shouldn’t change your mind either way. If it does, you aren’t being analytical and are following a gut reaction. 
That said (and I’ve been vocal about this all season), I believe most of the Gus hate has been gut reaction rather than analytical anyway. His success across his tenure hasn’t been stellar, but it’s been enough to keep his job. Won’t say anymore because I’ve had pages of discussion with people about this already.

Umm no Gus Hate here that I can detect. I have seen people countless time explain what they like about Gus the coach and the person while explaining why we probably need to make a change.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

dye was on finebaum today and he stated auburn would not let gus hire or fire certain coaches

Maybe on the hiring part: I could see an AD or a Univ Pres giving a thumbs down for a controversial hire. But who exactly at AU would not “allow” a head coach to fire someone?  The only coach on this staff who would deserve to be fired would be JB G, and I can’t imagine anyone refusing to let that happen. 

7 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Who is Gus trying to hire or fire? So if he is trying to fire say.. Kevin Steele, I hope someone slaps some sense into him.. but honestly, I wonder about those comments as well. And if this is true, this is where I have a problem with our PTB.. if you are going to keep Gus at least let the man run his program the way he sees fit, let him hire and fire and whatever else he wants to do. We already know his offense isn’t going to change .. it is what it is and Gus taking over the play calling duties hasn’t changed anything. But having a head coach who is handcuffed as coach Dye suggest, is not good and I hope we are not doing that. As much as I want Gus gone, what would a new coach do if he is being handcuffed? This is why we will probably never get a big time coach.. and if it is not true, coach Dye shouldn’t be saying that. 

I watched the Dye interview- somebody posted it in the Media board here. Nowhere did Pat say people were trying to  keep Gus from hiring and firing anyone! More rumors and baloney!

4 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I watched the Dye interview- somebody posted it in the Media board here. Nowhere did Pat say people were trying to  keep Gus from hiring and firing anyone! More rumors and baloney!

Good to know.. I was responding to what fifty posted. I have no idea if it was said or not. 

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe on the hiring part: I could see an AD or a Univ Pres giving a thumbs down for a controversial hire. But who exactly at AU would not “allow” a head coach to fire someone?  The only coach on this staff who would deserve to be fired would be JB G, and I can’t imagine anyone refusing to let that happen. 

Jay Gouge doesn't even know who Gus Malzahn is and wouldn't care if he wanted to hire Larry Nassar as an assistant to Jerry Sandusky.

I'm not sure I'll ever be back on the bus like I was in 2013, but I am really pleased we won Saturday. I hope THIS time we can parlay it into momentum next season.

I never got off the bus.  I’ve gotten disappointed and I definitely wonder from time to time but I truly like Gus as Auburn’s coach.  I want the man to be successful.  People think he’s stuck in his ways but I see him do things that make me think he’s adapting and trying to fix his deficiencies.  Defense was bad he fixed it.  RB depth kept being a problem, he fixed it.  Oline depth is a problem and he’s one more recruiting class from fixing that.  He got tired of being told how he should run his team and offense so he took back control.  The guy runs a clean program and his players love him.  Just like Dye said sure I’d like to be 12-0 or 11-1 but I’ve seen this team fight the whole way.  Gus may be about to sign one of his best recruiting classes and possibly lead this team to 10 wins.  That’s AUsome!

Archived