Sunshine Pumpers / Gus Supporters

Zeek

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care for the shirt, but since being a Gus supporter means supporting Auburn's head football coach, I'm in. If/when he has a season such as 2008 or 2012, then it's time to start looking for the next man up. Until then all the hateful stuff is nothing but counter productive.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't care for the shirt, but since being a Gus supporter means supporting Auburn's head football coach, I'm in. 

d9mJD.gif?format=1000w

:poke:

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When have ever I championed you?

You constantly champion the anti-Gus comments. Some people can't even be happy for 48 hours after upsetting UAT in the Iron Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You constantly champion the anti-Gus comments. Some people can't even be happy for 48 hours after upsetting UAT in the Iron Bowl.

No, I just don't choose to ignore the glaring issues.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

No, I just don't choose to ignore the glaring issues.

But do you ignore the glaring successes? Seems that it's all or nothing with some fans. I'm not being critical it just seems that everyone Is so black and white

Just now, shabby said:

But do you ignore the glaring successes? Seems that it's all or nothing with some fans. I'm not being critical it just seems that everyone Is so black and white

I've already told you this. I love the recruiting, I love the lack of discipline issues, and I love the fight from the team. None of that, however, mitigates the poor roster management, the lack of identity, the slow starts, the baffling play calls, the disappearance of plays and players, the lack of player development, the struggle for 1st downs, etc. An objective fan can see both sides. After 7 years, that same objectivity lends itself to believe the same issues in year 1-7 will continue to be there for the remainder of his tenure.

You can be happy with a big win and still understand there are inexcusable deficiencies. I don't get how some people can't understand the nuances of assessing whether he's doing a good coaching job with the talent on board. Needing a 5 win disaster season to finally see and acknowledge  these deficiencies is a pretty poor way to look at things. It's not particularly smart when considering the overall health of the program.

That being said, Gus did enough to keep his job this year. That, however, does not mean anyone should turn a blind eye to all of Gus' weaknesses -- the ones @bigbird specifically wrote out above will eventually weaken the program and put us even further behind our peers. Even with the Iron Bowl win our peers still kick our butts regularly.

It comes down to this.  Some people focus on the negatives and others are always looking at the positives. No coach out there is perfect.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I've already told you this. I love the recruiting, I love the lack of discipline issues, and I love the fight from the team. None of that, however, mitigates the poor roster management, the lack of identity, the slow starts, the baffling play calls, the disappearance of plays and players, the lack of player development, the struggle for 1st downs, etc. An objective fan can see both sides. After 7 years, that same objectivity lends itself to believe the same issues in year 1-7 will continue to be there for the remainder of his tenure.

But success has been undeniable. Devision champion. Conference champion. Title game.  Every year we are in a position to have a shot. Despite the limitations of the coach you mentioned. Do you think another coach guarantees that level of success or greater or even gives us a fair shot at it? I'm content. I understand there is room for growth. I think it is happenni g with Malzahn. 

Again, most here want Gus to succeed. Whether he does or not is up to him. He keeps adding the talent but we aren't reaching the overall potential. 

giphy (3).gif

44 minutes ago, shabby said:

But success has been undeniable. Devision champion. Conference champion. Title game.  Every year we are in a position to have a shot. Despite the limitations of the coach you mentioned. Do you think another coach guarantees that level of success or greater or even gives us a fair shot at it? I'm content. I understand there is room for growth. I think it is happenni g with Malzahn. 

1 every 5 years is success? 20% is the bar you've set for success? 

You're correct though, every year we are in position to have a shot...right up to Halloween.

I know what Gus guarantees, between 4 and 5 losses a year...and you're content with that. I'm not. The school, fans, and especially the players deserve better 

1 hour ago, autan said:

It comes down to this.  Some people focus on the negatives and others are always looking at the positives. No coach out there is perfect.

It's not that simple. Both the adjectives negative and positive are in the eye of the beholder. Context is everything. and spin is spin. 

You'll also find that many who seem "negative" about one life area are described by others as being extremely positive overall...daresay it, even encouragers. That says more about the one area of concern than it does the person.

Archived