Sunshine Pumpers / Gus Supporters

Zeek

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do you equate being dissatisfied with the performance of Auburn's head football coach to hating Auburn football?  

I equate it to losing enjoyment in watching the game. Case in point 48 hours after a huge win and it's back to fire Gus and disappointment with the season. Sounds pretty miserable to me. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread made a really weird turn.  Unless I am mistaken by Zeek's intentions, this was meant for some light-hearted fun.  Even I made fun of myself to a degree.  This board deserves one week of peace after winning the Iron Bowl.

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

You know if you have to resort to insults you have zero left to say. And how about you let others respond for themselves. You seem angry

I thought obtuse was a pretty good word to use there. If I want to be angry, and particularly if I want to be insulting, I can do better than that. And, I know @McLoofuscan so I’ll let him handle it, lol. War Eagle my friend, keep fighting the good fight.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This thread made a really weird turn.  Unless I am mistaken by Zeek's intentions, this was meant for some light-hearted fun.  Even I made fun of myself to a degree.  This board deserves one week of peace after winning the Iron Bowl.

Agree and I let myself get sucked in. I enjoy this board but damn it wears me out sometimes, lol

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

I equate it to losing enjoyment in watching the game. Case in point 48 hours after a huge win and it's back to fire Gus and disappointment with the season. Sounds pretty miserable to me. 

It's clear from this post that we could all take lessons from you in being the life of the party.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I've already told you this. I love the recruiting, I love the lack of discipline issues, and I love the fight from the team. None of that, however, mitigates the poor roster management, the lack of identity, the slow starts, the baffling play calls, the disappearance of plays and players, the lack of player development, the struggle for 1st downs, etc. An objective fan can see both sides. After 7 years, that same objectivity lends itself to believe the same issues in year 1-7 will continue to be there for the remainder of his tenure.

Could only like this once but "WELL SAID!!"

I am halfway between Mikey and Bird.  One thing I have seen with Gus is when we have close to equal talent with bama we win. Gus does some of his best coaching against bama. This is a credit to Gus and a place where I kind of side with Mikey.

We have probably the most dominant D-Line in college football this year. In a normal year where very obvious holding is called we probably beat Ga. and LSU. This year not just to Auburn but across the board I have seen Ref's allow a lot more holding by the O-line. What hurts is because our D-Line is beating people so consistently it impacts our biggest strength.  That is an area that impacts Auburn and indirectly Gus negatively.  

The times I have watched games and called the play before it was run is where I agree with Bird. Our O-line is not bad but they are not great either it really helps them to play better when the other team isn't waiting on the play because like me they know what is coming. Point for Bird.

When Gus arrived at Auburn he brought an O that was ahead of its time and for a while he was an offensive genius but as other teams have adopted many of the things Gus does defenses have caught up. Other teams still keep some of Gus system but with more variation as an offensive coach Gus has not evolved fast enough a point for Bird

At the same time when he got here Auburn sucked on D but Gus worked at finding the right coaches and we are now a Defensive powerhouse.   a point for Mikey.

Player development is a mixed bag. Derick Brown and Marlon Davidson have always been good players but hey have gotten better from year to yeas as have many other D-Line. Garner gets credit for that but Gus kept Garner when a few years ago I remember a lot of Auburn fans saying Garner was over the hill. Point for Mikey.  

On D side both DB's and LB's have gotten better while at Auburn again point for Mikey.

On the other side of the ball weak O-Line recruiting, even though a few have made it to NFL. We have had some very solid WR classes but so far no super star's after being at Auburn a few years and the route trees are weak and don't help the WR's point for Bird.

We have a mixed bag at RB we have had some players who were not originally thought that highly of who got better and some who never made it here. Kind of a wash.

Finally Gus can get his players to play hard and never quit and Gus runs a very clean program. I would give Mikey a point on this but Bird has always said same thing about Gus so on this one point Mikey and Bird agree.

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

PEACE?  PEACE?

I'LL GIVE YOU PEACE!:grouphug:🧻🌲🧻🌳

26 minutes ago, fredst said:
31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Agree and I let myself get sucked in. I enjoy this board but damn it wears me out sometimes, lol

My fault!  And yes I've been into Auburn football for roughly 40 years and Gus' offenses are affecting my enjoyment of the game.  I'd like to get it back....so, I talk about it.....on a message board.  War Eagle to all, regardless of how I feel!  :cheers:

51 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

For $7 million a year and being the 6th highest paid coach in college football? I'd hardly say Gus has proven he's worth his salary.

I feel like this is going to be an issue for us down the road.

So we payed this guy 7 million a year and fired him. We want you to perform better than him. How does 4 million a year sound.

@zeek I love this post!!!   She is in my opinion. one of the more embarrassing Auburn twitter accounts and she doesn't even know that she is insulting herself!!!!!!   No Coach wants sunshine pumping fans, his work should be merit enough to have no need for sunshine pumping.  It is a sign that you are not doing your job to expectations, lol.

This will ALWAYS come down to you can't tell a person how to think, and most because you don't like it doesn't mean you can tell them they aren't a fan. It's really that simple. 

I know i am not the life of any party, but if i want to party it won't be on a forum with a bunch of people i have no idea of who they are.  But since WHEN did this forum become a troll fest and a clique "torch and lantern" chase?  I am like the above poster.  Not even a couple days down the road and it's back to the same ol, same ol crap.  Maybe the O.P. MEANT the thread as sarcasm or humor, but it looks to be stuff better meant for alcom instead of here.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I've made 2000 posts about trump on facebook. I hate the bastard. So your point again?

Do you enjoy being an American?

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Player development is a mixed bag.

Love your post. Defensive player development has never been an issue. It's always been on the offensive side that we've struggled with it. That's Gus' baby.

I really appreciate the posts from those who, while happy that CGM has fulfilled the requirement to win one of the 4 (UF, LSU, UGA, UA) and is likely to return next year (coaching carousel still spinning), acknowledge the programmatic and leadership flaws that are clearly present and realize that they will continue to need addressing. 

That's support and honesty fused together, and it's a beautiful thing to see.

Blind support and blind angst get us nowhere. Nor does the extra salt poured into wounds that really believe a change is needed for the long-range vision of the program and hoped to see one.

It's all beyond our control, it plus the circumstances that led to it, and that's probably what rubs the worst. Yet trying to tell another how to feel or what to say about either situation divides the fanbase even further. 

Takes grace to get your way and not gloat about it, post about it, bump an old thread about it, or start a counter thread to advertise the glee. That's a warning as well to the bus bypassers if and when the change does come. 

I think they're here...I think they are us. 😉🦋

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

1 every 5 years is success? 20% is the bar you've set for success? 

You're correct though, every year we are in position to have a shot...right up to Halloween.

I know what Gus guarantees, between 4 and 5 losses a year...and you're content with that. I'm not. The school, fans, and especially the players deserve better 

I look a this from a different perspective. Malzahn guarantees  8 or 9 wins (including bowl game) minimum. Coaches that we've let go had losing seasons as I recall. Yet probably half the posters on this forum seem to want Gus gone.  I agree they are not haters.  That's too strong a word.  How can you hate a man with his character and work ethic?  Do I want more wins and championships. Of course we all do.  But changing coaches almost guarantees the opposite in the short term. Call me a pumper or Gus supporter but I think he's the best we've had and getting better,  but three are some better coaches out there. But if we lose CGM I'm guessing we won't get one of them.  WDE

6 minutes ago, autan said:

I look a this from a different perspective. Malzahn guarantees  8 or 9 wins (including bowl game) minimum. Coaches that we've let go had losing seasons as I recall. Yet probably half the posters on this forum seem to want Gus gone.  I agree they are not haters.  That's too strong a word.  How can you hate a man with his character and work ethic?  Do I want more wins and championships. Of course we all do.  But changing coaches almost guarantees the opposite in the short term. Call me a pumper or Gus supporter but I think he's the best we've had and getting better,  but three are some better coaches out there. But if we lose CGM I'm guessing we won't get one of them.  WDE

We have a minimum of 3-4 easy non conference wins every year.  Add ole miss, MSU, Arkansas and a@m and u get 7-8 wins.  Pretty sure any coach can do this at Auburn nowadays.  You are being paid top money to beat The tough teams, it is really that simple.  Cam Newton taking us to a National Championship has elevated us in the recruiting world and created a new Auburn in a new era.

I'm just going to add my opinion. I want nothing more the for CGM to be successful at Auburn. To me success is a 10 + win season most years. Play in and win the SEC championship game every 2-3 years, the playoffs every 2 -3, if not every year. Is that asking too much? 

I really like CGM. He is a great recruiter, his players absolutely love him, most of his coaching staff are awesome ( not the oline coach). I am a recovering sunshine pumper but it's hard to trust CGM again

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

We have a minimum of 3-4 easy non conference wins every year.  Add ole miss, MSU, Arkansas and a@m and u get 7-8 wins.  Pretty sure any coach can do this at Auburn nowadays.  You are being paid top money to beat The though teams, it is really that simple.  Cam Newton taking us to a National Championship has elevated us in the recruiting world and created a new Auburn in a new era.

We have exactly 4 non conference games each year. It's been a long since we've had minimum of 4 easy ones. Any coach? Every coach before Malzahn did not do that and were dismissed.

Archived